Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Home prices are nuts in this state 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
Gman wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:
Still an awesome time to sell if you can then pay cash for the next one. It’s why the empty nester/retiree migration will continue. First timers or those still with significant amount owed on the current home are pretty SOL.

Great time to sell, but you'll still need a place to live. Have to move to a market that is a lot cheaper to make it work.

There are people in desirable areas in the Greater Puget Sound netting around seven figures. Take that to ID, MT, WY, CO and you still can get a ton of house and property. Not as much as several years ago, but it will be awhile before things even out.

Not CO. Made quite a bit on my home there (bought for $250K and sold for $630K) and moved here. I got a little less house on significantly more lot for less money here.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Tue May 24, 2022 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the interests rates going up. It’s slowed the market.

Houses in my area were going within a day or two. But now one just recently listed is still for sale.

Look at it this way. A $500,000 house from 6 months ago with 20% down made monthly payments around $1800-$1900.

Now same house, price and 20%. Monthly went up to $2300-$2400.

Tue May 24, 2022 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Daughter and her husband are finally moving back home after 5 Years. They make good Money, but no way will they be able to afford a house in this County.
I bought my House for 130K in 1995, Redfin has it at 744K!...and that's ridiculous. icon_eek

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue May 24, 2022 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many sellers in PA are no longer accepting VA loans due to how much of a PITA they are. It's either conventional loans or cash. With that said, I'm SOL on ever buying a decent home in a decent area. I'll be a rental slave unless I win the lottery or Powerball.

Tue May 24, 2022 5:37 pm

WitchyWoman wrote:
I really had planned on looking into buying a home with my VA loan this year. Then I quickly realized that in just 4 years, prices locally have gone on a 3 bedroom home from $170K up to $350K and higher. Its totally unrealistic. Great for people who own homes already but not for buyers. They are just not worth the price and I feel they will never be going down. The mass exodus from the West has not helped Eastern WA either. I will keep looking but probably in another county.

I purchased a home in H-E-L-L (Moses Lake) in 2018 on a couple of irrigated acres outside the city limits. I sold it in 2021 to the fist buyer full price in a week. Walked with $100k.
If you can stand to live in Hell, it’s reasonably priced but rising quickly. It’s hot and a bit windy, but not Ellensburg windy.
Moses Lake and most of Grant County looks like shit but there are nice places to live if you look long enough. It’s growing but not a lot. Housing market is tight from housing shortages.
What attracted me to Hell was cheap housing, taxes, cheapest electric rates in the country and cheap fiber internet. Grant county PUD plans fiber Internet County wide by 2024. It now reaches George, Quincy, Ephrata, and beyond. My internet only was $52 a month.
It isn’t Wenatchee expensive with all the Westies invading it. It had the basics I was looking for without the smug West coast liberal attitude. Kind of a working family atmosphere. Sometimes you have lower your expiations for peace of mind.

“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Tue May 24, 2022 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greenecho wrote:
I purchased a home in H-E-L-L (Moses Lake) in 2018 on a couple of irrigated acres outside the city limits. I sold it in 2021 to the fist buyer full price in a week. Walked with $100k.
If you can stand to live in Hell, it’s reasonably priced but rising quickly. It’s hot and a bit windy, but not Ellensburg windy.
Moses Lake and most of Grant County looks like shit but there are nice places to live if you look long enough.

Thanks!

That's exactly where I have had my eyeballs this year.

Tue May 24, 2022 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coulee City is a nice town.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Tue May 24, 2022 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prices need to keep falling. However, I don't think they'll ever fall enough to become affordable. The only places I can see homes becoming affordable in the future is the SW due to the lack of water.

Tue May 24, 2022 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WitchyWoman wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Hard to say when the next crash will hit

A lot of realtors I've spoken to do not think another will be coming.

Hmm… The realtor that helped us to buy a house here, in AZ, said opposite.
Maybe he is just more honest?

Wed May 25, 2022 4:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
My Daughter and her husband are finally moving back home after 5 Years. They make good Money, but no way will they be able to afford a house in this County.
I bought my House for 130K in 1995, Redfin has it at 744K!...and that's ridiculous. icon_eek

The one in Dayton is moving back?

Wed May 25, 2022 5:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greenecho wrote:
WitchyWoman wrote:
I really had planned on looking into buying a home with my VA loan this year. Then I quickly realized that in just 4 years, prices locally have gone on a 3 bedroom home from $170K up to $350K and higher. Its totally unrealistic. Great for people who own homes already but not for buyers. They are just not worth the price and I feel they will never be going down. The mass exodus from the West has not helped Eastern WA either. I will keep looking but probably in another county.

Moses Lake and most of Grant County looks like shit but there are nice places to live if you look long enough. It’s growing but not a lot. Housing market is tight from housing shortages.
What attracted me to Hell was cheap housing, taxes, cheapest electric rates in the country and cheap fiber internet. Grant county PUD plans fiber Internet County wide by 2024. It now reaches George, Quincy, Ephrata, and beyond. My internet only was $52 a month.
It isn’t Wenatchee expensive with all the Westies invading it. It had the basics I was looking for without the smug West coast liberal attitude. Kind of a working family atmosphere. Sometimes you have lower your expiations for peace of mind.

A good Walleye lake there (Potholes) as well as good duck hunting too! If I ever lived in WA state again, it would be the Moses Lake area.

Wed May 25, 2022 5:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
usrifle wrote:

No, the one that's in Miami. My Montana girl isn't going anywhere! :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed May 25, 2022 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
usrifle wrote:

No, the one that's in Miami. My Montana girl isn't going anywhere! :bigsmile:

I lived in Missoula as a teen for just over a year and took my first whitetail there while hunting with one of my brothers. Loved it there but I have since heard that its going to hell. Not sure how accurate that is though.

Wed May 25, 2022 9:25 am

If you want to own a house, you need a foot in the door asap. House prices might dip a little during certain economic cycle but it will take off again quickly. It is very difficult to time it just right and in the mean time you'll be burning cash on rent. So even with the current high prices, it'll be better to just bite the bullet and do it.

I speak from my experience in owning a property in California's silicon valley (San Jose). When I bought it, I thought the prices was ridiculous. I now own in free and clear and its price on zillow is close to triple for what I paid for it about 16 years ago. I'm renting it out now, the rent money pays for my current home in WA.

As a landlord, I'll also tell you renting is one of the biggest waste of money. You're paying someone else's mortgage, just like my renter is paying for mine.

Wed May 25, 2022 9:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bigbearbear wrote:
If you want to own a house, you need a foot in the door asap. House prices might dip a little during certain economic cycle but it will take off again quickly. It is very difficult to time it just right and in the mean time you'll be burning cash on rent. So even with the current high prices, it'll be better to just bite the bullet and do it.

I speak from my experience in owning a property in California's silicon valley (San Jose). When I bought it, I thought the prices was ridiculous. I now own in free and clear and its price on zillow is close to triple for what I paid for it about 16 years ago. I'm renting it out now, the rent money pays for my current home in WA.

As a landlord, I'll also tell you renting is one of the biggest waste of money. You're paying someone else's mortgage, just like my renter is paying for mine.

It doesn't make sense to purchase something I cannot afford. Sure, I may get that mortgage. The bank providing it is laughing behind my back because they know there'll come a day they yank that house right from under me. Unfortunately I don't come from money. My parents have jack shit to their name, and when they go, I'll have nothing. Relatives of mine sure as shit won't help but will be happy to give my brother $50,000 for "investing." He has lost all that money several times over the decade and they still give him money. I had a huge wad of money before leaving WA. However, some unplanned medical expenses blew it out. I've been in recovery mode since then.

This whole "buy now or miss out forever" is the boomer version of people of my generation blowing their savings on crapto currency and other stonks.

Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next