Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The End of Manual Transmissions 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You also don't have to light a wood burming stove at 5am to make breakfast as a rite of passage anymore.

But I don't see anyone complaining.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
You also don't have to light a wood burming stove at 5am to make breakfast as a rite of passage anymore.

But I don't see anyone complaining.

Old Growth enters the chat...

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
Unless you are there for the "experience" there is no objective reason to run a manual transmission.

Automatic and double clutch systems are simply faster and more fuel efficient, and on top that generally more reliable than the monkey behind the wheel burning out clutch plates because of mismatched shifts.

So the cars that warrant it is ones that sell for the driving experience, your 911 GT3s, MX-5/Miata, and BRZs will still have them as long as they can keep them. Porsche said as much for the GT3.

But as far as why your Dodge Durango having a manual transmission? Who the hell cares.

Me

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I drove an automatic for 4 years. A part of me died inside. I got a manual again and I was more in tune with the road and a better driver again.

I always want an automatic for when my brain isn't working, for every other day, I want a manual. I drove a manual for 15 years in stop and go traffic. When the road opened up, I too could be free.

I'll take my current 4 cylinder beater over a V8 corvette or Mustang neutered by an automatic. I don't give a crap what the track times say, or what the fuel economy says, I prefer to live.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:45 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

joao01 wrote:
I drove an automatic for 4 years. A part of me died inside. I got a manual again and I was more in tune with the road and a better driver again.

I always want an automatic for when my brain isn't working, for every other day, I want a manual. I drove a manual for 15 years in stop and go traffic. When the road opened up, I too could be free.

I'll take my current 4 cylinder beater over a V8 corvette or Mustang neutered by an automatic. I don't give a crap what the track times say, or what the fuel economy says, I prefer to live.

The new last Gen corvette Tanner Foust raced the computer automatic car vs stick....after 3 laps through Detroit closed streets the stick was faster. He felt he had more control of the car.

Mans Trans vs Womans Trans....

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:

demand trans rights.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

bubblewhip wrote:
WaJim wrote:

demand trans rights.

Well one has GEAR oil in it the other a RED Fluid...

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:rofl9: :ROFLMAO:

Well played! :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
WaJim wrote:

demand trans rights.

Exactly. I demand equal representation for Standard Transmission in the marketplace.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An American V8 with a manual Transmission and rear wheel drive. I'll take that over slush box any day.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:11 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
An American V8 with a manual Transmission and rear wheel drive. I'll take that over slush box any day.

Agreed! I still manual shift my truck regularly, especially in city driving. Nice to have an auto for traffic but I miss the control of a clutch and being able to sit right in the torque band until ready to accelerate.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I bought my 1997 F-250 diesel back in..... (Fuck, I don't remember, but put almost 400K miles on it.), it came with an automatic. It blew my mind. I could feel the slippage as I drive it, that I never felt in all of my previous pick-ups. Even now the slippage after all these years still bothers me.

Then I think of the big semi's with auto-trannies, with supposedly the same slippages... Uh No.

But just like the earlier comments about better mileage, I have to admit I get better mileage over the manual. But that slippage is telling that my mileage should really suck.

Hard Facts matter.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:

Automatic and double clutch systems are simply faster and more fuel efficient, and on top that generally more reliable than the monkey behind the wheel burning out clutch plates because of mismatched shifts.

No. No they are not. While it's true that double clutch systems are faster, it is most definitely not true about common torque converter automatics. They're not more fuel efficient either, or more reliable.

There are plenty of vehicles that are better with a manual transmission besides sports cars too. Many people prefer them in trucks, especially diesels due to reliability but also gas motors too. Not everyone lives and drives in rush hour traffic every day.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a technical standpoint, manual transmissions are the most efficient. There are a ton of a benifits to a auto, but opposite and equal negative points.

One of my best friends has a car with a CVT transmission for his wife. So a true CVT keeps a constant optimal rpm range, they kick up a little higher for acceleration. Somewhere a handful of years back people complained they felt slow, so they programed faked shifts to make it better. These fake shifts wear on contact material so my friend fixed his car to not do it.

If i understand right, they act like a crank head Bridgeport, basically they move a drive wheel down a cone.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:

No. No they are not. While it's true that double clutch systems are faster, it is most definitely not true about common torque converter automatics. They're not more fuel efficient either, or more reliable.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/why-the ... he-manual/

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2015 ... irst-test/
Quote:
To the numbers, then. From a standing start, our automatic Z06 hit 60 mph in 3.2 seconds, matching the quickest manual-transmission Z06 we've tested. Chevrolet has claimed the automatic can hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds, but we must assume they were using a prepped surface. We test on standard asphalt to better approximate real-world performance. The automatic Z06 crossed the quarter-mile mark in 11.2 seconds at a speed of 127.0 mph, besting the quickest manual we've tested by 0.1 second and 0.8 mph. Credit those incredibly quick upshifts.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/29/201 ... transmiss/

and on and on and on.

The truth is having 8-10 gears is better than 6-7. Coupled with mechanical and electronic smarts the transmission can shift into the most optimal band for both fuel efficiency and performance for longer parts of the time and more reliably than a human driver.

The reliability aspect comes from the monkey behind the wheel. Sure "you" might be perfect with your shifts, but if you are looking at a used car, my questions with an automatic transmission is "has it been serviced on scheduled?"

The approach with a manual is "Let me go have a mechanic check out the clutch, because I don't trust you."

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next