Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The End of Manual Transmissions 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
An American V8 with a manual Transmission and rear wheel drive. I'll take that over slush box any day.

I'm fine with a Japanese 4 or 6
An ae86 GTS (real one from 85-87 not that new subaru 8-6 POS) is still an amazingly fun car to drive, even with the stock engine.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
Yondering wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:

Automatic and double clutch systems are simply faster and more fuel efficient, and on top that generally more reliable than the monkey behind the wheel burning out clutch plates because of mismatched shifts.

No. No they are not. While it's true that double clutch systems are faster, it is most definitely not true about common torque converter automatics. They're not more fuel efficient either, or more reliable.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/why-the ... he-manual/

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2015 ... irst-test/
Quote:
To the numbers, then. From a standing start, our automatic Z06 hit 60 mph in 3.2 seconds, matching the quickest manual-transmission Z06 we've tested. Chevrolet has claimed the automatic can hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds, but we must assume they were using a prepped surface. We test on standard asphalt to better approximate real-world performance. The automatic Z06 crossed the quarter-mile mark in 11.2 seconds at a speed of 127.0 mph, besting the quickest manual we've tested by 0.1 second and 0.8 mph. Credit those incredibly quick upshifts.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/29/201 ... transmiss/

and on and on and on.

The truth is having 8-10 gears is better than 6-7. Coupled with mechanical and electronic smarts the transmission can shift into the most optimal band for both fuel efficiency and performance for longer parts of the time and more reliably than a human driver.

The reliability aspect comes from the monkey behind the wheel. Sure "you" might be perfect with your shifts, but if you are looking at a used car, my questions with an automatic transmission is "has it been serviced on scheduled?"

The approach with a manual is "Let me go have a mechanic check out the clutch, because I don't trust you."

I've owned at least 1 manual since I got my license in 1992. All but one (2000 Wrangler Sport w/NV3550) required some transmission work along the way, but none headed to the junkyard with a bad tranny. Seen A LOT of automatics that required service or replacement way out of line of the value of the vehicle, so off to the scrapper you go. I'm no mechanic but I'm willing to bet that's the main cause of death for cars in my lifetime.

Back when I was shopping and got that new Jeep, I was checking out used BMWs (since I lived in Bellevue and this mentality unfortunately creeps into your head there). I was shocked at how cheap the early 1990s 8-series coupes were. These were super expensive at the time, the kind of car your local orthodontist or bigshot lawyer would roll around in. Then I learned why these MSRP $70k luxury sport coupes were all on sale for less than $20k, some even $10k less than a decade later: they'd all run up on their transmission servicing. Those 'rich' owners had financed the cars, paid 'em off, and then saw a ~$6k cash-right-now bill in their future and noped out. You almost never see these on the road anymore while manual German cars from that era are still fairly common.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:39 am

Have a 5spd in my 67 Camaro, would never consider having an automatic. But for new cars I'll stick with automatic.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:23 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

acidfly wrote:
Have a 5spd in my 67 Camaro, would never consider having an automatic. But for new cars I'll stick with automatic.

yup...

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
Yondering wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:

Automatic and double clutch systems are simply faster and more fuel efficient, and on top that generally more reliable than the monkey behind the wheel burning out clutch plates because of mismatched shifts.

No. No they are not. While it's true that double clutch systems are faster, it is most definitely not true about common torque converter automatics. They're not more fuel efficient either, or more reliable.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/why-the ... he-manual/

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2015 ... irst-test/
Quote:
To the numbers, then. From a standing start, our automatic Z06 hit 60 mph in 3.2 seconds, matching the quickest manual-transmission Z06 we've tested. Chevrolet has claimed the automatic can hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds, but we must assume they were using a prepped surface. We test on standard asphalt to better approximate real-world performance. The automatic Z06 crossed the quarter-mile mark in 11.2 seconds at a speed of 127.0 mph, besting the quickest manual we've tested by 0.1 second and 0.8 mph. Credit those incredibly quick upshifts.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/29/201 ... transmiss/

and on and on and on.

The truth is having 8-10 gears is better than 6-7. Coupled with mechanical and electronic smarts the transmission can shift into the most optimal band for both fuel efficiency and performance for longer parts of the time and more reliably than a human driver.

The reliability aspect comes from the monkey behind the wheel. Sure "you" might be perfect with your shifts, but if you are looking at a used car, my questions with an automatic transmission is "has it been serviced on scheduled?"

The approach with a manual is "Let me go have a mechanic check out the clutch, because I don't trust you."

Kinda what I figured, you're looking at specs for high end performance cars, which make up a small percentage of all automatic transmissions out there, and concluding that applies to ordinary every day cars. That's faulty logic, and doesn't hold up to even the most basic driving comparisons.

Same for the reliabilty thing. Yes, people can burn up clutches. But the transmissions themselves rarely have issues. Unlike automatics, which can easily be abused by careless drivers and are one of the leading causes for cars being scrapped that haven't been in an accident. Your theory that automatics are more reliable simply because they don't have clutches just isn't backed up by facts; not even a little bit.

This all reads like you're someone who's only used automatics, and is just looking for anything to back up your preference. It doesn't hold water though. And this is fairly basic stuff for anyone who's really a "car guy". And by "car guy" I don't mean the kind who likes to wash his car every weekend and read car mags, I mean people who actually work on their cars and understand what makes them tick and what kinds of things go wrong.

Last edited by Yondering on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
From a technical standpoint, manual transmissions are the most efficient. There are a ton of a benifits to a auto, but opposite and equal negative points.

One of my best friends has a car with a CVT transmission for his wife. So a true CVT keeps a constant optimal rpm range, they kick up a little higher for acceleration. Somewhere a handful of years back people complained they felt slow, so they programed faked shifts to make it better. These fake shifts wear on contact material so my friend fixed his car to not do it.

If i understand right, they act like a crank head Bridgeport, basically they move a drive wheel down a cone.

Yes, you understand right. CVT transmissions have been around for many years, and are commonly used in snowmobiles, utility quads, and go-karts and even some small cars long ago, but some manufacturers have been trying them again more recently. There is some efficiency loss through the belt drive, but they try to make up for it by holding the engine at a particular "optimum" rpm (and of course the engine can be tuned for efficiency in that narrow rpm window). They aren't very well received in cars though, partly due to some pretty dismal reliability issues in some models, and partly due to driving feel; they tend to be a little slower to respond and throttle response is a big part of how a car "feels" to drive, even if it doesn't have big power and acceleration numbers.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

acidfly wrote:

I have the beefier option in my '65 camino, the m22 rockcrusher(kinda, the new wide ratio gears) the thing kicks ass behind a l79 clone with 3.78 gears. I loved winding it to 7k on the last curve before work every morning, and i daily it for 2 years

I get 25 mpg highway at mostly 80 mph and 4000 rpm and it will do it all day

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this talk makes me want to buy an American V8 rear wheel drive car. I miss my 6 speed Pro Charged Z/28.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:
You also don't have to light a wood burming stove at 5am to make breakfast as a rite of passage anymore.

But I don't see anyone complaining.

Old Growth enters the chat...

Bacon n eggs over doug fir, Mmmm!

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:39 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Old Growth wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:
You also don't have to light a wood burming stove at 5am to make breakfast as a rite of passage anymore.

But I don't see anyone complaining.

Old Growth enters the chat...

Bacon n eggs over doug fir, Mmmm!

Never had em that way...I.....pre-Fir over easy

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
It's a shame they're doing away with manual transmission vehicles. The trucking industry [...] snip [...]
The automatic transmission made the industry accessible to those who have no business behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle. At least with stick shift, you actually had to be paying attention to what you were doing.

:yes:

If you don't have the capacity to drive a manual, you shouldn't be driving a rig over 30,000#.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:49 pm

I've been hearing for quite some time that the newest gen of the Tacoma with the 3.5(?) engine and the 6 speed(?) auto really kinda sucks --- the tranny just is always shifting and searching - never being in the 'right' gear - basically making a decent (or even great) engine seem like a dog. People I know that opted for the 6sp manual are ALWAYS saying how much they love it. The divide gets even worse when they start modding and putting bigger wheels on them.

I REALLY wanted a 5sp in my 3rd gen 4Runner.... but decided to take the auto when I found a deal. There hasn't been a manual 4Runner since 2000....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.wnd.com/2022/08/dodge-annou ... scle-cars/
Dodge announces 'Last Call' for V8-powered Challenger and Charger muscle cars

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was going to post this in the Tesla board but here.

https://lawnews.tv/man-killed-because-c ... nsmission/

Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

O_Kellogg wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:
It's a shame they're doing away with manual transmission vehicles. The trucking industry [...] snip [...]
The automatic transmission made the industry accessible to those who have no business behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle. At least with stick shift, you actually had to be paying attention to what you were doing.

:yes:

If you don't have the capacity to drive a manual, you shouldn't be driving a rig over 30,000#.
You should see the things I can achieve while juggling 10 gears……

Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next