Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 rural wells and pumps, any recommendations? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally got our place. The well and pump are 15 years old, well was rated at 62 gallons a minute by the drilling company, about 310 feet deep, pump is a 3 horsepower supposedly 18 gallon a minute pump down about 275 feet. There is also a submerged pressure tank in the well. 3 phase system.

I did not know about the pump until I started trying to run more than 3 sprinklers at a time, then the pump did an auto low pressure shutoff. Then I called the company and they told me how to manually reset the well controller and about the pump.

So here's the questions:
-why would they put only an 18 gallon a minute pump in a 62 gallon a minute well? the company told me at that pump's depth plus the pressure tank I should be getting about 25 gallons per minute but they will come check it out because it sounds like not even getting that currently
-if the pump is going bad should/can I replace it with a more powerful pump, and if so how close to the 62 gallons a minute should I get?
-any other thoughts?

We have 10 acres and want to do some light farming and animal stuff, also bordering a few hundred acres of state land and might irrigate the edge of that to grow some stuff for game birds.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:28 pm

I can't answer your questions, but my well feeds a reservoir that is elevated a bit on a hill. The reservoir actually has more than a day's worth of water in it so I can run the sprinklers at whatever rate, so long as my total water usage isn't more than the pump can refill in 24hr.

The pump is driven by water level in a simple way: on at a low level, off at a high level.

In a power failure if I stop watering the lawn I can stretch my usage at least five days.

Dunno if you have the option to eventually do something like that. The elevated reservoir also provides good water pressure even in a power outage.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so well logs and well production are based on pumping air into the hole over 24 hrs with a big compressor not what the chosen pump parts will produce. Depth, parts used, clogged screens will all effect actual production

18 gal a minute is pretty rightous production, you can always spend more money on the parts to get more water. you can also set up a cistern system to handle peak use demand, this can be set up to pump at set intervals and when demand is low to fill a good size reservoir leaving a good reserve and less of a strain on the well itself and the equipment

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Typically pumps dont start to die, they just fail.

I would figure out if you have a bladder tank or just a pressure tank. If its a tank, they suck and need bled/drained. Get a bladder.

See if the check valve is holding the water in the plumbing or if its letting the pipes drain back into the well when it shuts off.

Existing plumbing in the well could have a small rusted pin hole making it take longer to build up to shut off pressure since a small amount of the water is waterfalling/leaking back into the well.

Just because a well can produce a certain number, its not always in your best interest to run it to the limits.

Have you priced out what it costs to drill a 300' well in your area? it will scare you. Dont kill yours.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your well's recovery rate will have more to do with the gallons per minute you can pump - if the well cannot refill at the rate of 62 gallons per minute, you cannot use that much water straight from the well.

Even a 6 inch well casing going down 300 feet only holds so much water. Your best bet is to have a large holding tank or reservoir of at least 1000 gallons in size you can slowly fill, and keep refilling over time as water is being used up. Don't forget to install a stock tank heater or something similar to keep the tank from freezing in winter.

A check valve on the tank and a flow rate restrictor on the well line supplying the tank will make sure that you don't draw the well dry trying to use water that is not recovering at the rate you are drawing it out at. Your pump is probably rated for and drawing the maximum of what the well can sustain already.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What’s the size of the line feeding the sprinklers. More volume = more water. Pressure is pressure, need larger pipe.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]