Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Hurricane Ian takes aim at Tampa 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I literally just ordered something from Sarasota, I hate Climate Change.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steve. Any word from your family down there?

Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
cmica wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
It’s not looking too good for the Ocala area either, I have friends and family there.

grew up there, got an aunt who got a house there for winter not sure when shes supposed to head down there from AK

We’d love to do the snow-birding thing but due to physical ailments I don’t think that will happen. Son is retiring in Alaska so we’ll definitely be spending time with up there.

best of both worlds, don't know where I'd live down south yet not my liking with heat.

I hear ya I’m willing to trade the heat down there for the cold and wet up here. Aching all the time in fall, winter and spring.
I grew up in the south so I know what it’s like it’s just been 35 years since I’ve been down there for an entire season.

My brother in Ocala has batten down the hatches and he is going to stick it out along with my other buddy less than 3 miles from him.
God be with the people down there.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by Caveman Jim on Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:42 pm

This is going to be Katrina 2.0.....
Probably not quite as bad because DeSantis is a stand up gov --- but its still going to be really bad....

Infuriating that 'the view' was 'politicizing' the storm as 'payback for DeSantis saying it wasn't CLIMATE CHANGE'..... Efff those dumb ass old bittys --- FIRST storm of the season - remember when they ran out of names for storms just a few years ago????

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:

The area impacted and the culture of the people that inhabit the areas impacted are a wee bit different...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:54 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

The area impacted and the culture of the people that inhabit the areas impacted are a wee bit different...

True - but amount of damage and costs... seeing 8 feet of water on the tv right now --- not good.... and its going right across the state. Lets see how XiJoe deals with this...

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

Yep, Florida is used to recovering from these, and has great contingency plans in place.

A Mayor was on saying he had already been speaking with state & federal officials on what to do as soon as winds subside to certain levels.

Katrina was bad mix of faulty levees, and government corruption and ineptitude at all levels.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just found out I got another aunt in tampa sheez thought they where in jacksonville so far saying a few branches here and there but no flooding. waiting thru out the night and see. my other aunts place is in largo icon_eek wonder how bad the flooding is won't know till mon when she flys out from AK

Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wife and I were lightly looking at a southern home in Fort Meyers back in 2018 when I retired. Particularly something on the intracoastal or canal with a boat dock.
The prices were really good but upon investigating insurance, forgettaboutit. Too expensive.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Wife and I were lightly looking at a southern home in Fort Meyers back in 2018 when I retired. Particularly something on the intracoastal or canal with a boat dock.
The prices were really good but upon investigating insurance, forgettaboutit. Too expensive.

True that but you gotta consider where it’s at and what happens every year in that area. Most all of the places I’m looking for are above a 10 on the panhandle and up into southern Alabama. The home insurance on most every one of the houses we looked at is at least $200 per month but they have low property tax. :popcorn:

I haven’t heard from my brother in Ocalla yet today so waiting on pins and needles.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:06 am

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Massivedesign wrote:
Steve. Any word from your family down there?

Cell service is overwhelmed and they don’t have internet, so we haven’t heard much. However, we did get one call through yesterday evening, when most of the storm had passed, and they are okay. The garage flooded, and there was water covering the whole neighborhood when they opened the front door, but the house seemed to be ok. Their generator stayed alive and kept them in power.

We got word this morning that things are a giant mess around the house and neighborhood. Their car got flooded and won’t start.

But … in the big picture, it seems that they fared well, especially since they had winds of at least 140mph in Cape Coral.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:38 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

All things considering, I’d say they fared well!

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heard from my cousin, they made it without any damage. Looks like Tampa dodged the bullet. Locals there say the bay naturally deflects heavy storm systems ogeographically.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:21 am

Talked with sis who heard from my cousin who is somewhere between Tampa and Fort Meyers --- they lost both their houses.... One - the 2 tory that they were in lost the roof and flooded --- the other single story got totally flooded out --- that one was on a canal. What a bummer.... but at least they are safe - thats all that matters.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next