Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Subaru off-road tires 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SnakePlissken wrote:
Glad you found something! My wifes car is about due for some tires and we keep putting it off due to availability or cost.

Also good you're not driving it- AWD vehicles can get really screwed up running tires of differing diameter. Some protest but many actually can be damaged if you go more than a very short distance at low speed. IIRC from my German car mechanic days Audi recommended at one time never more than 50kmh speed or over 50km distance with a spare. Porsche even was outfitting their cars with trick expanding spares. Those are really exciting when inflated for the first time if they've sat in a boot developing some decay!

I’d rather have a 4 low & 4 high than full time AWD. I’ve been a truck guy since 19 years old.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to all who schooled and provided the pertinent to make my decision. You guys ROCK!!! :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
I think the Yokohama geolander will be 1st choice just need to find them fast.
I have heard that the BFG are howlers and not wanting to have a loud set a tires.

Jim I'm running toyo at3 on my fj but my wife didn't want the really agressive look so on her awd highlander we installed yokohama geolander 015? All terain and those are really great tires.
My toyo at3 are a little more aggressive but are really sticky and they have changed some of the compounds very happy with them.

STAY AWAY FROM BFG i used to love them but they changed something in the compounds that make them suck in rain atleast on my fj cruiser.
Hope that helps a little.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We run all seasons most of the year. Winter traction tires are going on tomorrow for a few months. Sorry can’t remember the brand we’re using now but bought them at Discount Tires. It’s a newer Forester with X-Mode and haven’t had the opportunity to engage X-Mode yet.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:15 pm

Caveman Jim wrote:
Unicorn wrote:
I've been using the BFG KO2s for almost 7 years. I originally used the 225/65R17 on my stock wheels, a little oversized but not enough to rub. Then replaced the wheels with 15 inch Methods and 225/75R15s. About the same outer diameter as the stock tires (about 27.6") but more sidewall to air down for better traction on sand and rocks, and it seems to help reduce flats. First with the Geolanders G0 15, then another set of KO2s after I had a flat and made the silly mistake of using a gummy plug while on a trail. Apparently those can't be safely repaired or something.

The Geolanders are good. A little smoother on the highway, and important to you, they aren't as loud on the highways. Like the KO2s they are traction rated (mountain/snowflake symbol). If you want to gain a tiny bit of ground clearance without having to get a lift you could get the 225/65R17 for just over a 28 inch outer diameter.

Wait... which model and year do you have? That's important to know.

Discount Tire carries both.

Thanks. I should’ve added that in the O P. It’s a 2014 Subaru outback 2.5I.
Discount tire is who we use for the past 15 or so years. I will go in today and see what they have.

So your stock tire size are 225/65R17... My Forester has 225/60R17 stock. My wife has an Outback with the slightly larger tires. Oversized on mine, stock on yours.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:54 pm

SnakePlissken wrote:
Glad you found something! My wifes car is about due for some tires and we keep putting it off due to availability or cost.

Also good you're not driving it- AWD vehicles can get really screwed up running tires of differing diameter. Some protest but many actually can be damaged if you go more than a very short distance at low speed. IIRC from my German car mechanic days Audi recommended at one time never more than 50kmh speed or over 50km distance with a spare. Porsche even was outfitting their cars with trick expanding spares. Those are really exciting when inflated for the first time if they've sat in a boot developing some decay!

That's also a limitation of donut spares in general. It's on every donut spare and in every car manual that includes them regardless if they are AWD, FWD, or RWD.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3