Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Sign of the Times 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There used to be a show (Night Line).

Where they would showcase some examples.

This is clearly the sign of the times.

This driver drove at least 5 miles before being stopped by police. Ticketed for $500+

For stupidity?

His excuse. “My windshield wiper is broken.”

We have become so reliant or complacent on devices. We forget that people actually used to do stuff. Like actual physical work.

It is truly a Sign of the Times.

Hell, could have just left the car running and let the heater melt it, if you are that lazy. Of course clearing it off was clearly too hard. He did a corner. Could of just continued?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Driver is a lazy, good for nothing bum. I see that kind of crap here in PA a whole lot, and yes, the police do cite the losers who cannot or will not clear the fucking snow off their vehicles. I had a neighbor in the complex I live in who complained to management about the snow on his car. He was expecting them to clear it. Of course the complex didn't send anybody to do something that was his responsibility.

Speaking of devices and the reliance on them. There are too many people who are reliant on GPS.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
Driver is a lazy, good for nothing bum. I see that kind of crap here in PA a whole lot, and yes, the police do cite the losers who cannot or will not clear the fucking snow off their vehicles. I had a neighbor in the complex I live in who complained to management about the snow on his car. He was expecting them to clear it. Of course the complex didn't send anybody to do something that was his responsibility.

Speaking of devices and the reliance on them. There are too many people who are reliant on GPS.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH ABOUT MY GPS. :wink05:

Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lived in the times of pre, military and post.

What is pre? Before GPS. Had to use printed maps.
Military? I use that phrase. GPS was very expensive and only accurate to about several hundred meters.
Then now where GPS is so within 1-3 meters and it’s free.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I drove back to MD a few or ten years back. Had a 4"x4" national "Atlas" booklet with me.

My SIL was incredulous. How did you find your way here?!?

(Trying to avoid PA toll roads was a little challenging using that little booklet)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still use a Rand McNally road atlas and those huge foldout maps of metropolitan areas. I study them and learn the roads. It has been a huge help dealing with NYC and the other Burroughs when driving a commercial vehicle. GPS isn't going to warn me ahead of time about a low clearance, a bridge with a weight limit, or other roads I cannot legally drive on. There is a weekly event near my place where some Uhaul renter gets stuck underneath a 9' overpass. Their excuse is always, "GPS told me to go this way!" What? You can't read the fucking warning signs coming up? The GPS excuse doesn't fly when drivers disregard clear signage.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not to mention when you get layered overpasses/interchanges, or the double deck bridges... I love it as one tool in the tool box, but the refusal to see anything that way for so many people is so infuriating. Applies to tech just as much as tools in expertise. The idea of a crystal ball is just too enticing!

Anyway, even growing up in Northern VT and NY several decades ago I'd see folks put a face sized hole in the snow, or just the front and no other windows and think they're good to go! Ha. At least that's better than the psycho in the article you shared doing nothing.

Something something minimum viable product?

Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
I lived in the times of pre, military and post.

What is pre? Before GPS. Had to use printed maps.
Military? I use that phrase. GPS was very expensive and only accurate to about several hundred meters.
Then now where GPS is so within 1-3 meters and it’s free.

My dad was in a unit in Germany (the time that I was born in 58) that was testing new technology for military use. Yep, GPS.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I drove back to MD a few or ten years back. Had a 4"x4" national "Atlas" booklet with me.

My SIL was incredulous. How did you find your way here?!?

(Trying to avoid PA toll roads was a little challenging using that little booklet)

My very first road trip was planned on the fly with state maps found at the visitor's center near the border of each state... :D

I planned a road trip across the country using one large interstate road map... folded out to about 3' x 5'.... That thing had so many creases in it after we were done that I had to toss it, as I would fold it and mark off each stretch that we passed with a highlighter and refolded it so I could see the next portion without having it completely unfolded.

I thought it was effing amazing that you could navigate halfway across the country into a city you've never been in, in like 4 turns.....

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two words, Thomas Guides.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Two words, Thomas Guides.
I prefer Rand McNally lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a good idea to keep at least one street map in your vehicle, just in case your phone dies or you need a way home for unforeseen emergencies.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
I still use a Rand McNally road atlas and those huge foldout maps of metropolitan areas. I study them and learn the roads. It has been a huge help dealing with NYC and the other Burroughs when driving a commercial vehicle. GPS isn't going to warn me ahead of time about a low clearance, a bridge with a weight limit, or other roads I cannot legally drive on. There is a weekly event near my place where some Uhaul renter gets stuck underneath a 9' overpass. Their excuse is always, "GPS told me to go this way!" What? You can't read the fucking warning signs coming up? The GPS excuse doesn't fly when drivers disregard clear signage.

still got mcnally too. My uncle was telling me stories of chicago and jersey of dipshits not knowing their heights. several youtube videos of these trucks hitting pass's and Train Trestles

Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Triptiks or GTFO

Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Triptiks or GTFO

Winning. AAA was the best.

Back in the early eighties a friend and I scored a gig driving this guy's two cars to his new place in Miami. Left the morning "the worst blizzard in 8 years" had hit WA. I had gone to Triple A a day or two before the trip and the storm had been raging across the country for a week.

The trip-tik routed us through a bunch of state hwys that I thought for sure would be impassible since the radio was a constant litany of closed inter-states. We didn't hit a single closure.

Dude had a 1980 Corvette and a new Lincoln Mk IV (both snow white). When he held up the keys my buddy jumped at the 'vette keys. I acted sad that I had to drive the boat, but I knew that driving that hotrod for eight hours a day - in snow - would get old fast. My buddy begged me to swap cars before the end of the first day. "Nah, I'm not sure I'd know how to drive that muscle car as good as you..." :bigsmile:

And, yes, I scraped my windshield every morning

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]