Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 I need some hunting Info! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

with the states books on fish and game and needing an attorney to translate half the gibberish in there.
I need some guidence on good locations to hunt being new to washington and never hunted in these wooded areas. Nevada I can see mule deer for miles . but was looking not for the hush hush spots but for a general decient location. this will be my kids and myself out hunting.
Also tag dead lines to have them in also. I can't seem to find the info on the site to save my life.

Any help would be great!

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:31 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a hunter but if you update your profile with your location, it may help people guide you to an area near you.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where are you located, buddy?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

in federal way I am willing to travel as far as I need to go.

and profile being updated

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm
Profile YIM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gotcha. Well, I don't know your area too well, but there is plenty of Weyerhauser land down In Grays Harbor and the surrounding areas. Most of that is open to hunting though the deer aren't particularly large. There are also many public access areas over on the East side of the cascades, though I've never hunted deer there. If you contact some of the game departments over there they can definitely point you in the right direction.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Capital Forest is a LARGE hunting area. Just 40 minutes south of you.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

Just in joy wrote:
with the states books on fish and game and needing an attorney to translate half the gibberish in there.
I need some guidence on good locations to hunt being new to washington and never hunted in these wooded areas. Nevada I can see mule deer for miles . but was looking not for the hush hush spots but for a general decient location. this will be my kids and myself out hunting.
Also tag dead lines to have them in also. I can't seem to find the info on the site to save my life.

Any help would be great!

If you're new to WA (as well as your kids) you're going to have to take em through a Hunter's Education course (anyone born after January 1, 1972 has to take the course) before you can buy your tags. Most of the information you're looking for is available in these courses; at least they'll go over the guidelines as well as tell you where to find the info in the handbooks that they have.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/huntered/classes/basic.php

http://www.hunter-ed.com/Washington/

I took the course this past fall and it was a good time; lots of useful information. I would recommend the actual classroom setting instead of the online one just because there's a lot of good hands on stuff you get in the classroom course that you would miss if you did it online.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My daughter and I already have the hunters ed from vegas I was told it transfers over here also my son I have to get him in it asap as he will be 12 before hunting season opens I think I will just sit in the class with him to get the info you Speak of Nostre. thanks all for the help full info. I have talk to serveral of my customers and they all tell me to call them when I a ready to go out thats alot of people to call when it already time to hunt I know nevada's system but I am not there anymore lol I was looking at it like Nevada you have to pick your top 5 choices of hunting spots. then hope and Pray you get a tag

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:34 pm
Profile YIM

Just in joy wrote:
My daughter and I already have the hunters ed from vegas I was told it transfers over here also my son I have to get him in it asap as he will be 12 before hunting season opens I think I will just sit in the class with him to get the info you Speak of Nostre. thanks all for the help full info. I have talk to serveral of my customers and they all tell me to call them when I a ready to go out thats alot of people to call when it already time to hunt I know nevada's system but I am not there anymore lol I was looking at it like Nevada you have to pick your top 5 choices of hunting spots. then hope and Pray you get a tag

I've only been hunting but one season and I didn't have to do anything with regards to WHERE I went to hunt. You can put in for a once-in-a-lifetime tag for certain game; but I don't believe there is anything like that for actual locations to hunt. Of course if you're hunting on private land you'll need permission from the land owner to do so; this is all gone over in the hunters ed course.

Make sure you sign up quick for the classroom course; I was lucky to get into mine at a location that was somewhat close to me. They fill up fairly quick.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the wdfw website, you'll find a lot of info there. Your Vagas hunters Ed is good here. Geneeral season archery, rifle, and muzzel loader seasons for deer,elk,bear,cougar, most birds, and varmints are over the counter tags.
Speacial permit aplications should be available next month and the 2011 Regs come out just before permit aplications go on sale. Theres qa lot of public land here on the west side, DNR land and national forest. Most of the timber Co. land is open to public hunting along the coast. I know you can order maps online but I'm not sure exactly where. WA DNR has pretty good maps of Capitol forest and the forest service maps of the Olympic national forest that you can get at the Oly. headquarters or at any ranger station will have most of the roads, a little out dated but not too bad. Sitting through the hunters Ed class with yiur son would realy be a good way to learn some of the regulations that are specific to WA and theres a bunch of them. I've hunted in a few states and have been suprised by whats legal in other states that isnt here.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for the info. yeah 22-250 is legal in NV but not in Wa. I just bought my son a 243 for hunting hopefully he is as good as shot as his sister lol she got her deer first ime hunting first shot dead in it's tracks. I have to hit renton fish and game to sight the riffles in this weekend and get some practice shooting in for all of us...I am thinking of moding my 7mm mag also I may hit TA up for some barrel coating to make it more unique for me! Hunting is a Passion of mine but New surroundings I have to learn how to survive in the forest and actually learn how to use a compass now Desert is easy I can see for miles here lol I do not want to get lost in the woods.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:08 pm
Profile YIM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate the Min. .243 Cal. rule for big game here, most states have a centerfire .224cal. Min. A guy I was hunting phesant with last fall leaned his loaded shotgun against his truck tire while he took off his gloves. A warden pulled up and asked to check our licenses. After checking our licenses he got out of his truck and asked to check our shotguns, mine was already unloaded and in the truck so I got it out and he checked it. My friend unloaded his and handed it to the warden, we got a lecture on the no loaded guns in or on a vehicle, the warden wrote a ticket, remember you cant use the hood of a truck to rest on when target shooting.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yeah I know wardens can be a PITA sometimes my brother in law just got busted shooting from the road. bad thing was they drove the 7 hours to take a photo of the road to fight it and still lost. the gravel was covering the assfault <== see spelling lol but he accepted but they were nice enough to let him keep his Antelope meat everything else was legal he even got out of the truck to shoot they were surprised all over one foot on the street. thats a hard lesson learned but hey they need money they will be more aggressive to issue tickets thats for sure.

my brother in laws happened in Nv the Wardens where surprised of the hit 22-250 300 plus yards away perfect shot. I think they were more impressed with the shot then he was as he shoots like that all the time Elk 22-250 mulies 22-250 he hit same spot every year.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm
Profile YIM

Washington does not have an age requirement for hunting, just pass the hunter ed class.
I'm sorry but hunting here is nothing like Nevada. I have been hunting for over 40 years and every year I have seen a decline in deer and elk populations. The state has introduced wolves and is letting more come in from other states. They banned baiting and hound hunting for bears and mountain lions by the most part. I believe, the state is going to a self-sustaining practice for big game.
There is lots of public land to hunt especially in Eastern Washington but most are full of people with little amounts of game. Some private landowners are leasing hunting rights for a big fee if they allow hunting. In Western Washington most of the timber companies are charging a fee to hunt and our state is looking for more revenue so they are adding more and more permits areas and the way you can choose multiple types. Only 10 to 12 percent of hunters harvest a big game animal.
We have three subspecies of deer: blacktail deer in Western Washington and mule and whitetail deer in Eastern Washington. Two subspecies of Elk: Roosevelt elk in the Coastal region and Yellowstone in rest.
Here is a link to states fish and game regs.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/
go to "go hunt" mapping area

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go east. Lots of decent deer areas east of the mountains. The deer over there actually reach decent size. They don't look like you just shot somebody's German Shepherd.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]