Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 28609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370 ... 1908  Next
 What has pissed you off today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:
Wtf, a double jack and coke at Atlanta airport is damn near $20....

Wtf is "other" at another 18%?? Wow that's absurd.

Yeah I was tempted to raise hell about that, but I figured it’d be a complete waste of time to fight that.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3584ELK wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:
Dog has IMHA. Always hear people say they won't spend over $XXX on a dog. I was one of them, until it was my dog.

You should consider a 2nd opinion- most vets around here couldn't diagnose a broken tail.

For instance, in order to detect hip dysplasia, the proper method is to put the dog under anesthesia and pull the hind legs parallel to the spine for the X-rays. How many vets do this? Out of the 5 I have visited, none are even aware of this procedure.

2nd opinion was gotten. Regardless of first diagnosis, dog was severely anemic and needed a transfusion to survive, but blood tests showed a regenerative anemia (bone marrow producing new cells), not degenerative, so probably not leukemia. Went from vet (1st opinion) to doggy ER (second opinion) and they concurred. Pathologist said it looks like IMHA.
So he stayed overnight for a transfusion, monitoring, and multiple tests. Cell count is back up to a stable level, and it'll likely be a lifetime of prednisone.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NotAMerc wrote:
Kgbsucka wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:

Yeah I was tempted to raise hell about that, but I figured it’d be a complete waste of time to fight that.

It says right there--service charge 18%

That's the gratuity. Automatic tip for the server. Welcome to equality.

The computer is line item subtotaling categorically before the final ledger so even though it shows 2.63 twice, it's only charging you once.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:39 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Pvanderzee wrote:
3584ELK wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:
Dog has IMHA. Always hear people say they won't spend over $XXX on a dog. I was one of them, until it was my dog.

You should consider a 2nd opinion- most vets around here couldn't diagnose a broken tail.

For instance, in order to detect hip dysplasia, the proper method is to put the dog under anesthesia and pull the hind legs parallel to the spine for the X-rays. How many vets do this? Out of the 5 I have visited, none are even aware of this procedure.

2nd opinion was gotten. Regardless of first diagnosis, dog was severely anemic and needed a transfusion to survive, but blood tests showed a regenerative anemia (bone marrow producing new cells), not degenerative, so probably not leukemia. Went from vet (1st opinion) to doggy ER (second opinion) and they concurred. Pathologist said it looks like IMHA.
So he stayed overnight for a transfusion, monitoring, and multiple tests. Cell count is back up to a stable level, and it'll likely be a lifetime of prednisone.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I hope you and your pooch can adjust easily to the new regimen.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

dan360 wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:
Kgbsucka wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:

The computer is line item subtotaling categorically before the final ledger so even though it shows 2.63 twice, it's only charging you once.

Ah, you're right after I added it up. Still outrageous! You could damn near buy a fifth for that!

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:31 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

3584ELK wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:
3584ELK wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:

Wow, sorry to hear that. I hope you and your pooch can adjust easily to the new regimen.

Wish the best! Good news- prednisone is pretty cheap. You don't have to buy from the vet either, go to a regular pharmacy and it will be way less. We have a dog on insulin and thyroid medication - we get it at Costco for less than half what the bet wants.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
dan360 wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:
Kgbsucka wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:

Ah, you're right after I added it up. Still outrageous! You could damn near buy a fifth for that!

I agree that's near robbery. And why I almost never order alcohol while I'm out. The prices are simply gouging.

Recently took a date to drinks and we had 2 cocktails each. Simple drinks, nothing fancy. Midweek. $50. That's over $12 per drink. :cussing: Could have bought a liter for less. Similarly, different date, out for some beers. $100 evening for beers and appetizers. :cussing: That's grocery and drinking money for several days at home... I think some of these establishments have gotten a little too greedy with their pricing models when charging $12 to pour two ingredients into a mostly ice-filled glass and stir it.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You have no idea what it costs to run a restaurant.

Can't afford it, don't go.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

NWGunner wrote:

Long ago I was involved in a restaurant business that was based at the Puyallup Fair. You wouldn't believe the fees the fair can think of....they pretty much take 20% right off the top, and that's in addition to paying to be there in the first place, plus trainig fees and all kinds of weire stuff. No wonder everything there is double what it costs across the street.

I suspect the airport in Atlanta (and many others) is similar. Interesting to note that not all are that way. I flew into Reno recently and they had ads all over stating that you'd pay the same shopping at the airport or in town. The prices were much more reasonable there...it all comes down to the BS taxes.

$8-11 is sort of the going rate for a drink. $20 is robbery, especially for a simple one like that. Many airports don't put prices on their menus either, which should be illegal.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

Long ago I was involved in a restaurant business that was based at the Puyallup Fair. You wouldn't believe the fees the fair can think of....they pretty much take 20% right off the top, and that's in addition to paying to be there in the first place, plus trainig fees and all kinds of weire stuff. No wonder everything there is double what it costs across the street.

I suspect the airport in Atlanta (and many others) is similar. Interesting to note that not all are that way. I flew into Reno recently and they had ads all over stating that you'd pay the same shopping at the airport or in town. The prices were much more reasonable there...it all comes down to the BS taxes.

$8-11 is sort of the going rate for a drink. $20 is robbery, especially for a simple one like that. Many airports don't put prices on their menus either, which should be illegal.

I'll save my point about running restaurants in general, and just say this...

A 'call drink', where you call the name of the brand you want, at $6-$8 is fairly reasonable...so, a double at $14, is as well...twice as much hooch...

Atlanta does the same thing that Vegas does, and we do here...

They over-tax 'hospitality'...

Soooo, the hotel taxes, downtown corridor taxes, entertainment taxes, and airport taxes are, unfortunately, exorbitant...

The excuse is, they overtax 'visitors', so the locals don't have to pay. It's done everywhere.

The idea is, it won't hurt re-election, since the folks they're over-taxing don't live here...travelers, visitors, etc., ...

Idaho guy's comment is entirely different...

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:

I agree that's near robbery. And why I almost never order alcohol while I'm out. The prices are simply gouging.

Recently took a date to drinks OBJECTION, CALLS FOR SPECULATION
and we had 2 cocktails each. Simple drinks, nothing fancy. Midweek. $50. That's over $12 per drink. :cussing: Could have bought a liter for less. Similarly, different date, out for some beers. $100 evening for beers and appetizers. :cussing: That's grocery and drinking money for several days at home... I think some of these establishments have gotten a little too greedy with their pricing models when charging $12 to pour two ingredients into a mostly ice-filled glass and stir it.

It's a lot cheaper in Washington. And the girls (dudes) are prettier. And the cars are faster. And the skies are bluer. And the horses...dont stink :bigsmile:

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Last edited by Traut on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:

I know right? After all those fees and costs, I dunno how they even turn a profit selling a $.09 potatoe for $9 after swirling it with a drill and giving an oil bath!

Such a tough industry!

Ive made lemonade a couple times. I have no clue how they can make a WHOLE glass for under $6.

Slim market for sure!!! :ROFLMAO: :rofl9:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:

service charge
. aka '18% gratuity added to all bills'

but you're right, there's a second one. wtf.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe you ought to take your date to the Class VI or similar discount alcohol establishment, choose your drinks, and then go home and watch Netflix for your movie.

:ROFLMAO: :thumbsup2:

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Kgbsucka wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:

service charge
. aka '18% gratuity added to all bills'

but you're right, there's a second one. wtf.

There’s just one charge like I said it’s how the computer system categorizes it before the subtotals. It’s for internal accounting. Probably for taxes and or airport fees n such.

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 28609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1364, 1365, 1366, 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370 ... 1908  Next