Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Re: What has pissed you off today?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:04 am

The way I understand the law, you could not shoot him in this situation. However, If he physically touched you or took a swing, you could legally beat the crap out of him.

Do I have this right? What say you non-lawyers?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:05 am

Arisaka wrote:Do I have this right? What say you non-lawyers?

I say they can only arrest you if they know something happened.

Draw your own conclusions.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:58 am

Showing remarkable restraint is a sign of good character. What people like that cannot fathom, is that restraint is only brave because it's difficult. Restraint and self-discipline are practices that someone of that nature despises because they are too weak to summon any themselves. Utterly despicable selfishness.

Mercy is rarely deserved, and never free. Selflessness is an expensive emotional burden that builds strength of will.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 pm

Arisaka wrote:The way I understand the law, you could not shoot him in this situation. However, If he physically touched you or took a swing, you could legally beat the crap out of him.

I agree. However, at less than six feet away and him aggressing toward me, I wasn’t about to wait to be ready.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Call 911 and shoot.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Whenever the cops show up and ask, "What happened to him?"
The standard answer is: "I think he fell down."

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:52 pm

AR15L wrote:Whenever the cops show up and ask, "What happened to him?"
The standard answer is: "I think he fell down."

Several times.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:13 pm

dreadi wrote:
Arisaka wrote:The way I understand the law, you could not shoot him in this situation. However, If he physically touched you or took a swing, you could legally beat the crap out of him.

I agree.

I disagree. If it's reasonable to believe that you or the people you're with are under threat of grave bodily harm or death, you can shoot.

Now, what does that mean, exactly? You need to decide in the specific situation, when you're there. I agree, in Dana's situation it doesn't sound like the criteria was met. But if the other guy goes hands-on, then I think some judgment calls needs to be made. I do not believe that if the other guy is "only" using fists, shooting is never justified.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:20 pm

MadPick wrote:
dreadi wrote:

I agree.

I disagree. If it's reasonable to believe that you or the people you're with are under threat of grave bodily harm or death, you can shoot.

Now, what does that mean, exactly? You need to decide in the specific situation, when you're there. I agree, in Dana's situation it doesn't sound like the criteria was met. But if the other guy goes hands-on, then I think some judgment calls needs to be made. I do not believe that if the other guy is "only" using fists, shooting is never justified.

This...unless you are vastly Physically outmatched and the attacker has a weapon, or a verbal threat of death has been made during the attack, it probably would not end well for the shooter.
Especially these days. Just ask Kyle Rittenhouse.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:49 pm

Kyle's story isn't over. Fer petes sake... don't wish the fast lady on him already!

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:01 pm

As I understand the law, it doesn’t matter whether YOU feel you are in mortal danger. What matters is if a hypothetical REASONABLE PERSON would conclude their life was in mortal danger. The jury gets to answer that question

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Arisaka wrote:As I understand the law, it doesn’t matter whether YOU feel you are in mortal danger. What matters is if a hypothetical REASONABLE PERSON would conclude their life was in mortal danger. The jury gets to answer that question

Agreed. I just wanted to make the point that the criteria is vague like that, and isn't specific as to what the other person needs to be doing in order to justify lethal force.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:13 pm

usrifle wrote:
MadPick wrote:
dreadi wrote:

I agree.

This...unless you are vastly Physically outmatched and the attacker has a weapon, or a verbal threat of death has been made during the attack, it probably would not end well for the shooter.
Especially these days. Just ask Kyle Rittenhouse.

Old, crippled, emphysema, COPD, asthma, jock itch, I'm afraid I'm not waiting until I get punched until I at least clear leather, and if there isn't an immediated de-escalation, ammo will quickly be converted into loud noise. Don't get me wrong, I'll always take every other avenue of retreat or other alternative but if getting beat with my cane doesn't deter some asswipe, they are likely to leave the encounter with more holes than they entered.

Glad you came out alright Dana. Must have been intense. Hard for me to imagine you losing your vast amount of cool.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:27 pm

People have been killed with a single punch, or single push.

BUT, one must be able to articulate a reasonable fear.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:56 pm

MadPick wrote:
dreadi wrote:

I agree.

I’m too old to run or fight but too young to die from an ass kicking.... I’ll be protecting myself fearing for my life...
Post a reply