Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1111, 1112, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117 ... 1549  Next
 What has MADE your day today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Hagerty.

Paid out my claim in full in 2 weeks.

Then when they realized I'd been hospitalized, they sent me a get well card signed by their team, and a hat...

An insurance company, paying out no questions asked, and sending a get well card personally signed..

Wow.

Attachment:
20200127_141822.jpg

:thumbsup2:
Good to see things are looking up.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent!
I like the hat. :thumbsup2:

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TW, that is awesome! Is this strictly collectors auto insurance?

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
TW, that is awesome! Is this strictly collectors auto insurance?

For the most part.

It's stated value coverage, so you pay based on your credit and value of vehicle.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Class ... le-Qualify

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Excellent!

Hell yes. Score TW!

Do they make a 6 speed version? :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

AR15L wrote:
Excellent!

Haha! Agreed on all counts. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Seeing this on Nextdoor..... (copy and pasted)
Kenmore Range has been doing a really good job of communicating with the local neighborhood as to when 'unusual activity' will be happening --- total two thumbs up for them :thumbsup2: Sadly, even with the considerate notification of upcoming activity, I'm sure there will still be complaints about 'excessive gunfire' from people who were unable to realize they were buying a house next to a gun range.....
AND...... to see that they are NOT charging for the range use!!! :thumbsup2: :bow: :thumbsup2:

Kenmore Range--Military Shooting Qualification
We will be hosting 15 US Navy shooters (+ instructors--1 instructor for every 2 shooters) on Wednesday and Thursday this week for their training qualification. Wednesday will be pistol shooting from 3 PM to about 6 PM (they also need to qualify for low light shooting) and Thursday will be rifle shooting from 1 PM to 6 PM (including low light shooting). Pistol shooting will be similar to law enforcement training (a set number of rounds over a set time period such as 6 rounds in 20 seconds with several intervals and distances). Rifle shooting will all be semi-automatic fire but may be more rapid fire than what you are used to hearing. Both ranges will be closed to the public and members during the qualifications. We provide the range to the military for purposes such as this at no cost to them for the use of the range (even though they are willing to pay) or for our Range Master who will oversee the both days of training.

2 hr ago · 85 neighborhoods in General

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:28 am

My neighbor FINALLY got me a piece of steel for my stove to use as a heat diffuser!!! 7" diameter x 3/16" thick --- sweet!

Attachment:
20200127_174140 (Medium).jpg

Attachment:
20200127_174154 (Medium).jpg

I finally concluded that once I switched over to cast iron pans that the flame setting is the same whether you are using the 8-10-12" pans if you don't want the oil/grease to smoke. Problem is --- the burners on my stove are only 3" diameter so I end up with a hot center and cool edges with the 10 &12" that doesn't cook evenly - even tho they are cast iron. For reference, this is how high the burner is set when I'm cooking (frying) anything in the 10" pan

Attachment:
20200128_112601 (Medium).jpg

I was excited to try it out last night so I made some hashbrowns for the hell of it - I've made them hundreds of times in the 10" pan and its always a trick to catch it before the center blackens or burns. Using the diffuser last night, I was able to get a beautiful even brown from edge to edge! So much better! I'll have to re-calibrate my preheat and cooking flame heights, but I don't think its gonna be that big of a problem.... So excited that I'm pretty sure I'll be able to FINALLY generate a uniform seasoning on the 10 and 12" pans --- instead of just having a scorched area in the center and gummy edges of the pan! This diffuser is going to work wonders with my square non-cast iron griddles too - they had the same problem.

Realized the inevitable downfall to the current setup - the plate slides easily on the burner grate --- I envision a 500 degree 7" round steel plate sliding onto the the wood floor with no means to pick it up quickly!!! Gonna take it over to my neighbor and have him drop a couple (8) weld beads on the bottom to locate it onto the grate and keep it from sliding.

Think I'm gonna need a second 7" one too.... and thinking a 5"x 1/8" for the simmer burner too to keep from scorching my soups and beans!

I hate to admit what game changer this is for cooking with the big pans!!! :thumbsup2: Cooking just got much more interesting....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
My neighbor FINALLY got me a piece of steel for my stove to use as a heat diffuser!!! 7" diameter x 3/16" thick --- sweet!

Attachment:
20200127_174140 (Medium).jpg

Attachment:
20200127_174154 (Medium).jpg

I finally concluded that once I switched over to cast iron pans that the flame setting is the same whether you are using the 8-10-12" pans if you don't want the oil/grease to smoke. Problem is --- the burners on my stove are only 3" diameter so I end up with a hot center and cool edges with the 10 &12" that doesn't cook evenly - even tho they are cast iron. For reference, this is how high the burner is set when I'm cooking (frying) anything in the 10" pan

Attachment:
20200128_112601 (Medium).jpg

I was excited to try it out last night so I made some hashbrowns for the hell of it - I've made them hundreds of times in the 10" pan and its always a trick to catch it before the center blackens or burns. Using the diffuser last night, I was able to get a beautiful even brown from edge to edge! So much better! I'll have to re-calibrate my preheat and cooking flame heights, but I don't think its gonna be that big of a problem.... So excited that I'm pretty sure I'll be able to FINALLY generate a uniform seasoning on the 10 and 12" pans --- instead of just having a scorched area in the center and gummy edges of the pan! This diffuser is going to work wonders with my square non-cast iron griddles too - they had the same problem.

Realized the inevitable downfall to the current setup - the plate slides easily on the burner grate --- I envision a 500 degree 7" round steel plate sliding onto the the wood floor with no means to pick it up quickly!!! Gonna take it over to my neighbor and have him drop a couple (8) weld beads on the bottom to locate it onto the grate and keep it from sliding.

Think I'm gonna need a second 7" one too.... and thinking a 5"x 1/8" for the simmer burner too to keep from scorching my soups and beans!

I hate to admit what game changer this is for cooking with the big pans!!! :thumbsup2: Cooking just got much more interesting....

Maybe I missed it - what kind of steel?

We are pretty lucky with our new 5 burner gas cook top, the diffusers are changeable and the big one on the small burner is the perfect simmer.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:52 pm

Just plate steel --- neighbor has buddies that run a metal fab shop, so this was cut from a piece of scrap that was lying around.
Wasn't too picky --- its fresh plate with a nice black finish on it - hopefully it won't rust too badly. Heated it up really hot last night and no smoke or smell so I'm thinking its GTG.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea!!! :bow:

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Pablo wrote:
Great idea!!! :bow:

I realized that is what I needed when I was up at the (same) neighbor's house and saw that they had a cast iron diffuser that came with their stove -- it became blatantly obvious that that is what my stove needed. I really didn't realize how inadequate the burners are on my stove for such large pans. This really is a simple life changing tool!!!!

ETA --- I was just playing around and wanted to see just how long it would take to preheat the pan with the diffuser --- set the flame at 6 (would usually use ~4) and it took ~5-6 minutes for it to get up to water sizzling in the pan, compared to ~3 minutes without it. Dialed it back to ~3 and all looked good (usually between 2-3). Geeked out and got the IR reader... center ~370, edge ~350.... REALLY uniform!!! I'm sure without the plate it would have been more than 100 degrees between the center and edge.

Why the hell am I just learning about this now????? Its so damn obvious that diffusers are needed --- why don't they come with every stove? Why isn't this common knowledge that they are needed? I've been using this stove for almost 20 years without them...... :wink05:

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:06 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

We have a smallish maybe 7") porcelain diffuser that we used to use for certain things on our old stove that had limited burner size. They really do help!

Our new stove has much larger burners that keep things very even with your average 8-12" pan so I forgot all about it.

I got a 16" cast iron skillet for xmas and it is too big. I get cool edges and hot center so you got me thinking about diffusers again! I never thought of just using a piece of steel. Great idea!

They are slick though...that's the one downside. I never had a problem keeping it on the grate, but the pan was easy to bump off the diffuser.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:48 pm

Yeah - I was looking at heat diffusers on amazon and was not really impressed with what i saw.... no real descriptions, pictures made them look like some sort of stamped sheet metal --- wasn't willing to drop $$ for such an unknown. I figured a steel plate would work as good if not better than anything I saw online. Figured 1/4" would be total overkill and take forever to heat, 1/8" would probably be ok but might still have hotspots - 3/16" seems to be just about right from what I've seen so far. I was shooting for 2 plates - a ~6" for the 10" pan and a ~7.5" for the 12" - only got one and the guy arbitrarily made it 7".... which actually is a perfect 'one size only' for me.... he also picked 3/16 because he thought 1/8 was too light and would warp. The guys have a cnc plasma cutter so a circle was no problem for them.... makes me wonder if some sort of hole pattern would be beneficial.... I'm guessing not really.

It really took me a long time just to find that they are called 'heat diffusers'.... Mom had a trivet collection and I thought thats what they were, but was completely wrong. I did grab a couple of trivets from mom to place my cast irons on - figured they would keep the cast irons from marking the counter top or forming rust rings.

The 12" just became useful for more than just 'flash browning' 1+ lbs of meat --- I'm gonna try some pancakes in it this weekend - that should show how uniform it really is - up until now they are always dark brown in the center and barely cooked at the edge for ~8" cakes and the center of the pan was always scorched black when I was done. I foresee a 'one pan' breakfast in this big bastard - hashbrowns, sausage and eggs cooked at the same time!

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Yeah - I was looking at heat diffusers on amazon and was not really impressed with what i saw.... no real descriptions, pictures made them look like some sort of stamped sheet metal --- wasn't willing to drop $$ for such an unknown. I figured a steel plate would work as good if not better than anything I saw online. Figured 1/4" would be total overkill and take forever to heat, 1/8" would probably be ok but might still have hotspots - 3/16" seems to be just about right from what I've seen so far. I was shooting for 2 plates - a ~6" for the 10" pan and a ~7.5" for the 12" - only got one and the guy arbitrarily made it 7".... which actually is a perfect 'one size only' for me.... he also picked 3/16 because he thought 1/8 was too light and would warp. The guys have a cnc plasma cutter so a circle was no problem for them.... makes me wonder if some sort of hole pattern would be beneficial.... I'm guessing not really.

It really took me a long time just to find that they are called 'heat diffusers'.... Mom had a trivet collection and I thought thats what they were, but was completely wrong. I did grab a couple of trivets from mom to place my cast irons on - figured they would keep the cast irons from marking the counter top or forming rust rings.

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-144-Heat-Diffuser/dp/B0000X6ESO/ref=asc_df_B0000X6ESO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167129094649&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17506290096424850849&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1027505&hvtargid=pla-308134748534&psc=1

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1111, 1112, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116, 1117 ... 1549  Next