Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Am I the Only One? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, after a three week wait it finally arrived and even then I had to "chase the FEDEX truck back to the barn" to get it. My new NightForce NXS 12-42X56mm Scope.

While installing it yesterday I got to thinking. Why is it that scopes like this have to cost so damn much :whatthe: The rifle was just a little over $1,000 and the scope was twice that.

The same with all my AR's. The rifle was inexpensive and if left alone would have remained that. When I started adding optics, free float hand guards, bipods, trigger work, etc. the rifles all doubled in cost at a minimum. About the only thing that hasn't happened to are my pistols. Other than holsters they "behave themselves" and only cost me lots of ammo.

Anyone else out there have the same thoughts?

Back to the scope, now that it's here and installed I've just got to go shoot with it before putting it away. This afternoon some special loads and tomorrow AM it's range time :woohoo: Hopefully I won't get too excited and will have a target or two to post. I expect big things from this new scope being as I will be able to "see" so much better. (but damn, why did it have to cost as much as my first new car?).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh I agree! The only reassuring moment though is when you look through that piece of glass that costs an arm and a leg and have a moment of clarity (pun intended). Cheaper scopes (like the ones I own), work fine, but the feel, look and operation of the higher end scopes are what set it apart and make it worth it.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

those babies are pretty spendy! I thought my big Leuopold was enough!

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I always heard the rule of thumb was to spend as much or up to double to retail cost of your rifle. I have never followed that rule but I am no longer sitting in an OP doing over-watch of a rifle platoon.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

The problem with optics is that they are sooo unreliable, so the very few where the manufacturer is behind it tend to cost so much - probably because the manufacturer is commiting to full life of servicing the scope. I know people are returning Leupolds back to the factory for free maintenance and repair decades after they were bought. Ability to do this is the reason I quit buying cheap scopes now and try to stick with brand names.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You get what you pay for......unless your an idiot. There is certainly a sense of accomplishment or greatness when you know your working with the good stuff

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
The problem with optics is that they are sooo unreliable, so the very few where the manufacturer is behind it tend to cost so much - probably because the manufacturer is commiting to full life of servicing the scope. I know people are returning Leupolds back to the factory for free maintenance and repair decades after they were bought. Ability to do this is the reason I quit buying cheap scopes now and try to stick with brand names.

What's scary is that Leupolds are becoming the 'bargain priced' scopes today. Have you priced a US Optics? A Schmidt-Bender?

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll never pay double digits for optics. Not to take anything away from them. I don't buy anything beyond my means, and have to make compromises all the time.

But the compromises seem to work out fine. I buy the best I can afford, and am always assessing what I can use that is not just barely acceptable, but totally acceptable VS the absolute best.

An example would be a vortex strike fire vs an aimpoint. I don't have bragging rights. I do have a great little red dot that does everything I need it to do.

One way to save money is to ask yourself whether what you are buying exceeds your ability to get the most out of it. My abilities are squarely in the average column. I get little benefit out of say, a match grade M1-A VS a standard rack grade rifle.

I spend endless time reading reviews and specs. For months sometimes before i make my call. Then I cross my fingers, quite unnecessarily, as it usually works out fine.

Good scopes are expensive for a reason. Engineering and precision lenses are costly to produce, and I take nothing away from the high end scope makers. I am just priced out, period. But what I choose always seems to hold up over the long haul, and gets everything done what I need it to. I really love cool stuff but have learned to get over it. I have also learned that there are great scopes under a grand, as well as dot sights under five hundred.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rivitman wrote:
I'll never pay double digits for optics.

Didn't you mean "Quadruple Digits".

I agree, I'd never pay "double digits" for optic's unless I was putting a $9 Tasco on a BB Gun :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

As for the performance, I only had an hour to play yesterday at the range and most of it was consumed by bore sighting, zeroing, and resetting the turrets.

I then shot two 5 round groups of the best ammo I had with me at 300 yards. Nice clear, crisp picture, and one of the groups measured .876 :rockout: Yes, it is true that if you can see it better, you can hit it better.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]