Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Hiking = what do you carry? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dont care what caliber of pistol you carry, I’m carrying a 12 ga. And I don’t care what the Sierra club Young Democrats think about it

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I normally carry a S&W 629 5" .44 Magnum. The other day I prepped for a hike on Mt. Spokane, couldn't find my holster, so ended up packing a Glock 34...yes a lowly 9mm. I guess it worked out since I'm typing this.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Hot Potato! "You shoot him!" "No, YOU shoot him..." "no, You".... "argggh"

Guide and his client are packing out an elk and encounter two bears with tragic results.

Lesson: When prancing about the back country dressed as walking h'ourderves, have your firearm immediately accessable... and be prepared to use it.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/09/throwi ... z5RHMlj1Vh

While hiking out from a hunting trip on an island in SE. my partner and I, each carrying a Blacktail, decided to rock/paper/scissors for which of us was going to drop our deer as an offering to the brownie that had taken a special interest in following us out of the tree line and down the beach. I lost.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chains wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

Guide and his client are packing out an elk and encounter two bears with tragic results.

Lesson: When prancing about the back country dressed as walking h'ourderves, have your firearm immediately accessable... and be prepared to use it.

While hiking out from a hunting trip on an island in SE. my partner and I, each carrying a Blacktail, decided to rock/paper/scissors for which of us was going to drop our deer as an offering to the brownie that had taken a special interest in following us out of the tree line and down the beach. I lost.

This is how I would have played that game: Rock, paper, .22LR to the kneecap, and take both deer. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Chains wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

This is how I would have played that game: Rock, paper, .22LR to the kneecap, and take both deer. :ROFLMAO:

22lr beats kneecap every time!

You win the interwebz today, Chuck.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry bear spray as my main defense against bears, it's been shown to be more effective than a handgun statistically. That being said it's still a good idea to bring a handgun as well.
I'll usually carry my .357sig p2000sk loaded with some hot ammo or my xds 45 if I want to cut down on weight.

This is a good video on the topic of handguns vs bear spray

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EDIT: REPOST

This guide was carrying a popular caliber, but it still took numerous shots to stop the attack. The guy bearly made it out. Some Doubletap ammo could have possibly saved him from getting his leg aerated?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:31 am

Glock 20 in a Hill People Gear Kit Bag.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... oductID/71

I could mount a smaller fixed blade underneath like my Becker BK16 pretty easily. Or a slightly larger one but would be more noticeable.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm

My firearm of choice when in the woods is my Glock 20 carried in my Kenei chest holster, offcourse loaded up good quality rounds.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.38spl J-frame or a Shield 9 (not on me, (but in my daypack backpack)...lesson learned after reading this thread now to keep it quickly accessible.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Actual bear country: Marlin Guide Gun 45-70, Leupold VX-3 1.5-5X20 with hard cast +P bear loads and a padded leather sling.
Maybe a bear: Desert Eagle Mark VII .44 Mag, plated hard cast bullets, don't want to plug up the gas port. Hand loaded a shit ton of ammo, and it's fun to shoot, the kids love it.
Normal hiking: S&W M&P .45C

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6