Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Hiking = what do you carry? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't carry a firearm. I have Norman and Lily (both wearing bear bells) to take care of whatever (or whomever) might decide to try and ruin our hike. The thing about Great Pyrenees is, their coat and loose skin mean that even if a predator manages to get ahold of them, the predator probably won't get any actual Great Pyrenees--just a mouthful of hair and another body slam from a seriously p*ssed Pyr.

As the boys are getting older, our hikes are getting longer and into more remote territory, so that no-firearm thing might be changing soon, but right now, I just carry the 10 basics plus extra medical supplies and food and water.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
I don't carry a firearm. I have Norman and Lily (both wearing bear bells) to take care of whatever (or whomever) might decide to try and ruin our hike. The thing about Great Pyrenees is, their coat and loose skin mean that even if a predator manages to get ahold of them, the predator probably won't get any actual Great Pyrenees--just a mouthful of hair and another body slam from a seriously p*ssed Pyr.

As the boys are getting older, our hikes are getting longer and into more remote territory, so that no-firearm thing might be changing soon, but right now, I just carry the 10 basics plus extra medical supplies and food and water.

IMO, no reason not to take the G26 along. 9mm beats a stick in the eye.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the outdoors I don't carry a gun for four legged critters, just the two legged kind.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Popular day-hike trails with little or no danger of big critters...G26 or G34. Maybe a S&W 686+ if the weather is really poor.

S&W 629 5" with 300gr bear loads if there's more than a miracle chance of bears or cougars.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
STED9R wrote:
357 revolver AND 357 short barrel lever rifle. My biggest issues are cougar going after my hounds.

I wish the cougars would go after me. :bigsmile:

They come after me all the time. I must have a scent they like. ;)

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stainless 6 inch gp100 when I'm camping. I would be lying if I said I did any hiking in a long time. I also like the cold steel ak 47 so I second that notion!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
STED9R wrote:
357 revolver AND 357 short barrel lever rifle. My biggest issues are cougar going after my hounds.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Benja455 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
STED9R wrote:

:rofl9:

thumbsup

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:15 pm

hkcavalier wrote:
Popular day-hike trails with little or no danger of big critters...G26 or G34. Maybe a S&W 686+ if the weather is really poor.

S&W 629 5" with 300gr bear loads if there's more than a miracle chance of bears or cougars.

How do you carry the 629? I have dan wesson stainless .44 mag that I would like to eventually carry when its needed.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your greatest defense from "predators" in the PNW is your voice and scent. I'd worry more about what I left in my car at the trailhead.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Itchin4Fishin wrote:
Your greatest defense from "predators" in the PNW is your voice and scent.

Well, given that two women (a mother and her adult daughter, IIRC) were shot and killed a few years back whilst hiking near Gold Creek, I do tend to worry more about biped predators that I do about the quadruped sort. This thread really has me thinking that I should carry my G26 in my FlashBang holster.

The last time I took the boys hiking another hiker (male) followed us on our entire hike, hanging about 20 feet back the entire time. Whatever the deal was with him, Lily didn't like it and kept raising her hackles and growling. Don't know, he could've just been heading the same way we were, but I kept the boys ahead of me and well in sight the entire time. What weirded me out was his greeting, or lack of it--when I turned around and said Hi, he just kind of stared at me.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:35 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Better question. How do you carry with a loaded pack?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glock 30 unless I'm going on an extended backpacking/snowshoeing trip where every ounce counts...then I carry my Ruger LCP.
I have a hip holster that goes right on the waist-strap of my backpack.

Last edited by bulldog18 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:

Me, I just adjust the OWB to a position closer to 2 o clock rather than the 4 that I usually put it at. This keeps it from interfering with the waist strap. For rifle, it's fairly easy to hook the rifle to your pack, the hard part is making it easily accessible, yet secure enough that it won't get knocked loose from brushing up against trees or bushes. How you do that really depends on what kind of pack you use, and what kind of rifle.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:

As I said earlier:
Bravo 34 holster for the gun:
http://shop.bravo34.com/Bravo34-shoulde ... R-MODW.htm

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next