Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 DOL charges for Report of Sale online? WTF? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoa’s can place a lien on your house. I call that teeth.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

takemorepills wrote:
foothills wrote:
Ace wrote:
All the above are reasons why old farts that don’t live in HOAs leave their junk in the yard to rot. If they would make the system free there would be a lot less eyesores sitting around.

Your definition and my definition of "junk" and "eyesores" are likely vastly different.

You complain about Gov't rules and regs, but seem to advocate for the rules and regs of an HOA.

You might enjoy living in Stepford...not me.

HOA's have no "teeth". I lived in one for 7 years in Lake Stevens. Our neighbor was a rental, out-of-state owner. The house was run down and falling apart. I had to look at a non-compliant satellite dish bolted to a rotting roof every time I was in our dining room (amongst a whole slew of other crap). The fees that the owner racked up are insignificant compared to what the owner will profit when he finally sells the house.

And I would get snarky "fines" every time my trash can was outside.

In this free world, you could just as easily bought a house where you COULD NOT see your neighbor. Then you could have left your can out all week. Shit ya could even leave your xmas lights up all year to if you like!

The same folks that bitch and moan about restrictions, buy a house BY CHOICE with restrictions!

Life has as many complaints as it does choices!

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:01 pm

Old Growth wrote:
takemorepills wrote:
foothills wrote:
Ace wrote:
All the above are reasons why old farts that don’t live in HOAs leave their junk in the yard to rot. If they would make the system free there would be a lot less eyesores sitting around.

Your definition and my definition of "junk" and "eyesores" are likely vastly different.

You complain about Gov't rules and regs, but seem to advocate for the rules and regs of an HOA.

You might enjoy living in Stepford...not me.

HOA's have no "teeth". I lived in one for 7 years in Lake Stevens. Our neighbor was a rental, out-of-state owner. The house was run down and falling apart. I had to look at a non-compliant satellite dish bolted to a rotting roof every time I was in our dining room (amongst a whole slew of other crap). The fees that the owner racked up are insignificant compared to what the owner will profit when he finally sells the house.

And I would get snarky "fines" every time my trash can was outside.

In this free world, you could just as easily bought a house where you COULD NOT see your neighbor. Then you could have left your can out all week. Shit ya could even leave your xmas lights up all year to if you like!

The same folks that bitch and moan about restrictions, buy a house BY CHOICE with restrictions!

Life has as many complaints as it does choices!

My point is that there is a false sense of control, consistency, whatever, that pro-HOA people think they have. But, in reality, HOAs don't have any ability to even deliver what many pro-HOA people expect.

Other things HOAs have absolutely no control over: neighbors speeding around the community streets with loud exhausts. It used to piss me off, getting notices about my trash can, who f'in cares, when there's some ricer dude racing his "JDM yo" 4 banger up and down the street at night?

Yeah, NO, no more HOA for us. My wife was all about dense neighborhood living, now that we live in a quiet area, we'll never go back to that crap.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

takemorepills wrote:
My point is that there is a false sense of control, consistency, whatever, that pro-HOA people think they have. But, in reality, HOAs don't have any ability to even deliver what many pro-HOA people expect.

I don't understand why you think this. There are thousands of examples of HOA's putting liens on peoples houses. HOA's have serious control; they can take your house away from you.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... rview.html

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Actually I’m from the Midwest where we leave old cars up on the blocks when they outlive their usefulness until they rust away. Your idea of eyesore and mine are vastly different. But people complain about the dumping and the old cars and what not but they not realize it’s because there is a system in place where the disposing of it in your yard or woods or side of the road is less of a hassle than actually properly disposing of it. People don’t realize that making it easier to get rid of things the right way will curtail a lot of the activity that goes on in rural western Washington. But no, state wants to hammer a fee out of you for doing the right thing, so it'll sit. And I believe HOAs are he worst form of fascism and communism all rolled into one. I will never be part of one again and I would support any politician that would make them illegal to punishable by death by vivisection if someone should try and form one.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:56 pm

snozzberries wrote:
takemorepills wrote:

I don't understand why you think this. There are thousands of examples of HOA's putting liens on peoples houses. HOA's have serious control; they can take your house away from you.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... rview.html

That was my point, the owner of a run-down home in an HOA can ignore the lien until he sells the home.

For example, he bought the house for $115K many years ago. Sells it in 2020 for $300K with the lien on it. The lien from that HOA was about $10K if I recall. That is still a good deal for someone who gives 2 fucks about the HOA, he is still "up" $175K upon selling the home. Why should someone care about the lien in that situation? The HOA has limits on how much they can lien, and they have to wait until a transaction occurs.

And they won't lien your house because the neighborhood kids race their 4 bangers up and down the road. What does the HOA do in that situation? Why they put speed bumps in, of course! So now the kids aggressively downshift when approaching a bump, blipping the throttle while going over the bump in neutral, then hammering it in 1st gear when they clear the HOA-installed bump.

So, that's why I "think this".

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not an expert but I was told recently the laws on liens changed, they are no longer infinite, they run for just 90 days and have to be renewed at the expense of the lien holder.

There were a lot of scams where people would file a false lien for a few dollars, small enough so people wouldn't bother fighting it or looking it up, just pay the $100 and be done with it

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
I am not an expert but I was told recently the laws on liens changed, they are no longer infinite, they run for just 90 days and have to be renewed at the expense of the lien holder.

There were a lot of scams where people would file a false lien for a few dollars, small enough so people wouldn't bother fighting it or looking it up, just pay the $100 and be done with it

As the ex-president of an HOA, we put liens on peoples houses. You can even start foreclosure proceedings if the lien isn't paid. The Liens do expire. 10 years for property and 8 months for mechanic. But, the HOA just updates the Lien amount annually with the new dues/penalties etc, so it's pretty perpetual. Takemorepills is pretty spot on though, unless the BOD want's to do a physical foreclosure, which is pricey and the lenders may quash that quickly, then there is little they can do until the owner sells.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4