Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:34 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Informal poll on large rifle primer choices 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking of stocking some large rifle primers. I am not a shooter or reloader of large rifle calibers so I don't know diddly squat about the pros and cons.
I have a choice of CCI 200's which could be priced at $35 per thousand or $145 per 5,000
or
CCI BR2 Large Rifle Bench Rest Primers which would be considerably more... $48 per thousand or $220 per 5,000

I only want to buy and stock them if I can pass on a value . I don't see much value in the CCI BR2 but maybe I don't understand the market.
At this point I am only comfortable bringing in about 5,000 of the CCI 200's but if interest was strong one way or another I could do more or likewise just walk away and use the money other places.

What are you guys using , what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Doug

Sat May 07, 2011 8:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doug, After I finish my research on them I will post which ones I plan on using as I never loaded rifle's rounds but I do plan on it. I just started looking into it within the last couple days to see if any issues are from one brand or another. I will let you know my plans! for my rifle loads

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Sat May 07, 2011 9:54 am
Profile YIM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've played with changing primers and I didn't see any accuracy difference between standard cci's and the cci br.
load and shoot a lot of rounds a year all wit

Sat May 07, 2011 11:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

after more review I searched CCI, magtech, winchester and federal I think CCI is the better choice most were rated fairly high but cci was rated 4.8 over all on some sites as to 4.2-4.6 I think CCI will be my choice.

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Sat May 07, 2011 11:42 am
Profile YIM

The load will specify what brand of primer to use typically. Before you drop cash, make sure it's what you will use. And it never hurts to store them in a thermally stable area with desiccant in an airtight container .

CCI's are usually thicker metal which helps with a floating pin design.

Sat May 07, 2011 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]