Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
 shooter in custody- FL - High school - Broward Couty 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Allegedly, Broward county PD and the school districts had an agreement to curtail enforcement so that statistical reports favored the school district and kept their cash cows flowing. "Safer" schools, more aid money.

https://steadfastandloyal.com/unreal/tr ... wer%20For!!

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard what I think sounds like a pretty damned good proposal to help mitigate these kinds of events. Those of you who are not interested in "stopgap solutions" go ahead and shit on it.

I just happened to be in the truck heading to town for some supplies and I turned on a certain radio station and a caller was talking to the host about one of the things they have done in their city. Seems there was a shortage of space for all of the officers/work that needed doing at the local cop shop so they decided instead of using a lot of tax dollars for a new building they would set up satellite police offices in the schools in the district. Its of course anecdotal but the particular caller, a city council member, said they haven't had any school violence issues since.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wondered if that very thing would be possible. Obviously not for every municipality or school but where feasible...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.wsj.com/articles/months-bef ... malertNEWS

Quote:

The accused killer in last week’s mass shooting at a Florida high school fled the home where he was living in November after a violent episode. Punches had been thrown, household items broken. The 19-year-old went to a nearby park and called 911.

“I kind of got mad and I started punching walls and stuff,” Nikolas Cruz told the dispatcher, his voice trembling during a 5½ minute call, according to police records released this week. “The thing is I lost my mother a couple weeks ago, so like, I’m dealing with a bunch of [inaudible] right now.”

“I understand,” said the female dispatcher.

Mr. Cruz wasn’t the only one to call police right after the fight, the records show. In a separate 911 call, a woman said she had taken him in after his mother died. She described the altercation between her adult son and Mr. Cruz, and her worries that Mr. Cruz had stormed off to get a gun from a nearby store.

“Because that’s all he wants is his gun, and that’s all he cares about is his gun,” the woman said in a recording of the late November call released by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.

She said Mr. Cruz had a bunch of ammunition. She also said he planned to bury a gun in her backyard, that he had put his guns to his brother’s head, thrown objects and hit the walls of her home. “I cannot have him on the premises now,” said the woman.

The caller’s name was redacted by the sheriff’s office, but her description of the events indicate she is Rocxanne Deschamps, a 42-year-old—who took in Nikolas Cruz and his younger brother. She couldn’t be reached for comment.

The late November calls are the latest examples of how Mr. Cruz’s volatile temperament was flagged to or by authorities—from the school district to social services, two local sheriff’s departments and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Through a combination of human error, legal limitations and judgment calls, none of these agencies were able to stop Mr. Cruz before one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
I heard what I think sounds like a pretty damned good proposal to help mitigate these kinds of events. Those of you who are not interested in "stopgap solutions" go ahead and shit on it.

I just happened to be in the truck heading to town for some supplies and I turned on a certain radio station and a caller was talking to the host about one of the things they have done in their city. Seems there was a shortage of space for all of the officers/work that needed doing at the local cop shop so they decided instead of using a lot of tax dollars for a new building they would set up satellite police offices in the schools in the district. Its of course anecdotal but the particular caller, a city council member, said they haven't had any school violence issues since.

The problem with most stopgap measures is that they tend to become permanent. Because no one ever bothers to implement the more costly solutions they intended to eventually implement.

In this case, that wouldn't be such a bad thing...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like the little douche lived several places after his adoptive mother died, because another couple gave interviews saying he had been living with them and they were completely shocked by the shooting. In only 3 months he's lived in at least 3 places? Or is the timeline not quite right here?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:19 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My sons HS has a 'full time school resource officer', her mini SUV cruiser is always parked in front.
Can't find her during the day though.
Police station is two blocks away, but most of them are out writing tickets.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:

I believe several large cities "back East" have set up police substations in some of their schools.

If you look into the situation in Florida and this particular resource officer, he was nearing retirement and probably didn't want to risk his ass when the shooting started. More than a few officers assigned locally to schools fit this "near retirement" or "too many Big Mac's" category instead of younger and more mobile officers.

Here's some more food for thought. When people started hijacking airplanes we had metal detectors installed at airports and put Sky Marshals aboard planes. Since then we haven't had many hijackings.

Courthouses have metal detectors and armed guards. Not many courthouses get shot up.

Whenever anyone suggests that WILLING teachers be trained and allowed to carry firearms while teaching, their union and management says "we need books and supplies, not more guns at school".

As long as schools remain as vulnerable as they are we'll continue to see shootings. If, when the next mentally defective individual tries to shoot up a school, they end up with a dozen or so holes in him before he makes it to the first hallway, school shootings will come to an ass puckering stop.

Last thing I noted in the news. Kids are now trying to tie all the mass shootings to the AR-15. There is another common denominator yet nobody wants to take action on it. The fact that all the shooters in recent mass shootings were displaying signs that trouble was coming, big time, and nobody did squat. In this case the FBI needs to be held accountable but will they?

How many more things could have been done wrong in Florida. No action on trouble signs. Easy access to the building by non students etc. An incompetent Resource Officer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
Here's some more food for thought. When people started hijacking airplanes we had metal detectors installed at airports and put Sky Marshals aboard planes. Since then we haven't had many hijackings.

Courthouses have metal detectors and armed guards. Not many courthouses get shot up.

Its already been explained to me elsewhere that these are stopgap measures that would just psychologically damage our fragile kids and make their schools into fortresses and that we should focus on re-instituting a constitutional milita instead and then we can "stop the gaps"

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

Its already been explained to me elsewhere that these are stopgap measures that would just psychologically damage our fragile kids and make their schools into fortresses and that we should focus on re-instituting a constitutional milita instead and then we can "stop the gaps"

That's what I can't understand. All the "blissninnies" say that any armed guards would damage the kids. Don't they think that a gunman who knows the kids are unprotected does a lot more damage?

FWIW, It really wouldn't take armed guards to put an end to the type of shootings we see at schools today. Just like the Courthouses and Airports, single point entry, with or without metal detectors. Someone observing who is trying to gain entry and what kids are carrying would have stopped most. People are already conditioned to this type of security when they go to a ball game, concert, etc. Emergency exits should still be unrestricted (but alarmed when opened) but entry to the buildings should be a lot more secure than it is today.

FWIW, my phone keeps buzzing with more news releases on who knew what and when they knew it regarding the shooter in Florida. There's more than one smoking gun in this case and there a few individuals that should be publicly fired. Parents should also sue the shit out of those that were aware of the shooters potential for danger and did nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

That's what I can't understand. All the "blissninnies" say that any armed guards would damage the kids. Don't they think that a gunman who knows the kids are unprotected does a lot more damage?

FWIW, It really wouldn't take armed guards to put an end to the type of shootings we see at schools today. Just like the Courthouses and Airports, single point entry, with or without metal detectors. Someone observing who is trying to gain entry and what kids are carrying would have stopped most. People are already conditioned to this type of security when they go to a ball game, concert, etc. Emergency exits should still be unrestricted (but alarmed when opened) but entry to the buildings should be a lot more secure than it is today.

FWIW, my phone keeps buzzing with more news releases on who knew what and when they knew it regarding the shooter in Florida. There's more than one smoking gun in this case and there a few individuals that should be publicly fired. Parents should also sue the shit out of those that were aware of the shooters potential for danger and did nothing.

Sounds like they could start by the feds investigating the Sheriff and the County Superintendent.

https://steadfastandloyal.com/unreal/true-broward-fl-law-enforcement-lot-answer/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=subscriber_id:1587061&utm_campaign=If%20These%20Tweets%20Are%20True,%20Broward%20FL%20Law%20Enforcement%20Has%20A%20LOT%20To%20Answer%20For!

Jeff Cooper

cityslicker wrote:

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
A memo came out in my high school in 1977 telling the students to take down their hunting rifles out of gun racks in the back of pick up trucks during school hours due to a break in that occurred. You see, during the fall, a lot of us went to catch that last couple hours of daylight hunting deer after school.

Interesting times we live in.

Oh, and if you were late to school, you didn't get in until you called the front office (from a payphone outside the school) who then let you in. The doors were LOCKED during school hours.(from the outside)
Never have had a school shooting at Forest Lake High School.
Simple solution to a perceived complicated problem.

I had said the same thing to my wife, kids, and coworkers. I started high school in 1978 and we lived in Klamath Falls, OR. We all brought our hunting rifles to school but mine was in the trunk of a '74 Buick Century. We also would walk through our neighborhood with our rifles on our shoulders to go up the hill to hunt. Police or anyone else never looked at us twice. The current anti-gun and fear of guns that is everyone in our culture causes more problems that it solves. My kids were taught to use rifles and pistols when they were maybe 5 or 6. They do not even think much about their guns anymore but still shoot with me once in a while. Kids who are shielded from guns are the ones that seem to have obsessions.

I read some of the comments about violent movies, games, etc and I disagree that it is a problem for most normal kids. My kids (and same with me when I was young) watched some violent movies and they played Halo, Call of Duty, etc. They now have more advanced games, both shooter and other types yet they are stable, good kids. I think it may have more to do with parents actually teaching them right and wrong as well as how to treat other people. Family pressure can be stronger than peer pressure if you teach them respect and tehy know you are being fair (as you discipline).

- Reverend King —“The Purpose of Education” from Morehouse College student newspaper, The Maroon Tiger, 1947

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Most are taught to be sheep.

In school, it's ingrained into you 'don't hit back, even if they hit you first', you're taught to walk in a straight line, to get a permission slip to leave class, etc.

Similarly, 'shelter in place' is taught.....block the door, hide, kiss your ass goodbye....

Lucky for me, both of my son's schools are teaching Run-Hide-Fight. One is in 5th grade, the other is a sophomore. Olympia SD for the win on this one. Also, the school shouldn't be ingraining anything. It's the parents job to teach their kids self worth, self respect, self discipline and self defense.

We taught our kids the same and the have both trained some with me on hand to hand techniques, as well as weapons. I just talked to them over dinner last night about what to do in certain situations. They are both in high school now (oldest is actually in a college doing Running Start) and neither of them is worried about this type of thing but I always feel it is better to be mentally ready so you will know what to do. If running makes the most sense, do it. However, if you people are not trained mentally on different scenarios before they happen, it is unlikely they will respond in the most advantageous way. Similar to a multiple attacker situation as opposed to a single attacker. The defense is different.

- Reverend King —“The Purpose of Education” from Morehouse College student newspaper, The Maroon Tiger, 1947

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would seem the Sheriff of Broward County has some skeletons in his closet...

Sheriff's family collects thousands of dollars and apparent ethical violation

https://www.local10.com/news/sheriffs-family-collects-thousands-of-dollars-and-apparent-ethical-violation

Since this and other apparently damning tidbits have surfaced I cant help but wonder what other trash lies beneath the surface of shit lake.

Jeff Cooper

cityslicker wrote:

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's been floated that there were 3 other deputies that arrived, and did not go in until after the shooting stopped.... is this true?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next