Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sherrif offers 50 seat training, 250 teachers sign up 1 day 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

golddigger14s wrote:
I wish teachers can be trained, and allowed to carry. However we'll use the pot analogy, and state that carrying on school grounds is a federal no-no.

"[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Benja455 wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
With the vast majority of teachers way to the left of liberal, I am surprised,he could find 250 takers. Must be football coaches and the like.

That's a stereotype. Many teachers are fairly centrist and hold strong conservative values about hard work and dedication.

According to WaPo, over three quarters of teachers are liberal. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 5320d460a2

That's single study which utilizes political party contributions as their sole data source:

Quote:
To create the graphic, the company aggregated data from the Federal Election Commission on contributions to political parties, and used that information as a proxy for political views.

Political donations do not equal political views. As an example, many Obama voters flipped and voted for Trump in 2016. As Obama voters - they were likely Obama contributors in 2008 and 2012 (and the "study" you cited is from 2015, when a donation to Obama would have been their most recent federal contribution). I suspect it's much closer to 60/40 or 55/45. Further - I think you'd see a big difference in the voting behavior of elementary school teachers vs middle & high school teachers.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
Benja455 wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
With the vast majority of teachers way to the left of liberal, I am surprised,he could find 250 takers. Must be football coaches and the like.

That's a stereotype. Many teachers are fairly centrist and hold strong conservative values about hard work and dedication.

According to WaPo, over three quarters of teachers are liberal. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 5320d460a2

That's single study which utilizes political party contributions as their sole data source:

Quote:
To create the graphic, the company aggregated data from the Federal Election Commission on contributions to political parties, and used that information as a proxy for political views.

Political donations do not equal political views. As an example, many Obama voters flipped and voted for Trump in 2016. As Obama voters - they were likely Obama contributors in 2008 and 2012 (and the "study" you cited is from 2015, when a donation to Obama would have been their most recent federal contribution). I suspect it's much closer to 60/40 or 55/45. Further - I think you'd see a big difference in the voting behavior of elementary school teachers vs middle & high school teachers.

Fair enough. Now it's your turn to present data that supports your estimates sir

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2017 ... 1485268474

It's behind a registration wall - but I've had an account for a while, so I can get you the meat of it, so you don't have to register:

Quote:
The Education Week Research Center surveyed a nationally representative sample of teachers, school-based leaders, and district leaders about their politics and views on a wide range of K-12 issues. The 38-question survey was administered in September and October to 1,122 educators including 555 teachers, 266 school leaders, 202 district leaders, and 99 other school or district employees. The margin of error for the survey overall was plus or minus 5 percent. Followup interviews involved survey respondents who agreed to be contacted after the survey and were willing to be quoted on a range of subjects.

As I predicted - educators trend fairly moderate and the overall distribution is pretty even. I was surprised by the number of teachers who did not vote or voted 3rd party...but that might represent a lot of the higher educated teachers (EdD or PhD) who couldn't stand Hillary or Donald regardless of their "party" affiliation.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Wow Ben... That is way different than I had expected.

It would clear things up for me if I knew their stance on 2A. I don't care too much about the rest, at least until 2A is safe (which won't be in my lifetime, me thinks.)

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting data, Benja! Thank you for digging this out!

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really don't see Democrats being moderate, in this day and age. At least by my perception.
I have a hard time associating the word moderate with Democrat.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
I really don't see Democrats being moderate, in this day and age. At least by my perception.

Agreed... I know numerous teachers or educators. And to a person they consider themselves as moderates or even conservative leaning. And none of them are even close. It's about how they perceive themselves, to themselves and each other.

My next door neighbors are both retired teachers, gun owning and hunting, Montana natives. Both are flaming liberals that consider themselves "moderates". It's the conservative (any) Republicans that are the "extremists" in their view.

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:44 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

foothills wrote:
STED9R wrote:

Agreed... I know numerous teachers or educators. And to a person they consider themselves as moderates or even conservative leaning. And none of them are even close. It's about how they perceive themselves, to themselves and each other.

My next door neighbors are both retired teachers, gun owning and hunting, Montana natives. Both are flaming liberals that consider themselves "moderates". It's the conservative (any) Republicans that are the "extremists" in their view.

That was my fear about the breakdown... But it still surprised me.
It shouldn't have though - this was self-reporting.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's part of the Rules for Radicals playbook.

"Common sense."

"Compromise."

"Moderate."

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
foothills wrote:
STED9R wrote:

That was my fear about the breakdown... But it still surprised me.
It shouldn't have though - this was self-reporting.

Doesn't surprise me. Ive heard plenty of people say in the past that "Obama is a moderate". People are naturally disinclined to see their own viewpoints as "extreme/radical/far____.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Quote:
He stressed that he wants teachers to understand what they can do with a gun if an armed attacker enters the classroom. And while he cannot delegate the authority for teachers to carry on a given campus–that is a school board decision–Jones said he wants the teachers to be ready if their school board so chooses.

:bow:
Fantastic. Hope this catches on.

Yeah, that's great!

There's a school about 25 minutes away from us out on the Colorado prairie. Their sign warns that they have teachers with conceal carry. I want a school like that close to me! Because I home school my boys, of course they have a teacher who carries. :bigsmile:

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2