Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 New Miami pedestrian bridge collapse, 4+ dead 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Breaking: Several dead, 5+ injured, more trapped.
950 ton 175 foot prefab section broke apart, landed on highway.
Someone's going to jail. Think they are supposed to last longer than 5 days.
"Go ahead and water down the concrete...it's just a pedestrian bridge"

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 16174.html

Last edited by Guntrader on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#banbridgesrightnow

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Breaking: Several dead, 5+ injured, more trapped.
950 ton 175 foot prefab section broke apart, landed on highway.
Someone's going to jail. Think they are supposed to last longer than 5 days.
"Go ahead and water down the concrete...it's just a pedestrian bridge"

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 16174.html

Nah, it will be just like the cover-up of the train that jumped the tracks doing 80 mph in a 30 mph Zone.
No one really responsible for said bullshit will ever go to jail, especially the politicians involved.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:52 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Build bridges not walls?.................Should have kept the wall.
Or at least not bought the bridge section from the lowest bidder on Craigslist.

"When Kenneth Jessell, FIU’s Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration and Chief Financial Officer, arrived in 2009, he said FIU President Mark Rosenberg took him into Sweetwater and told him he wanted to “bridge the gap” between the two cities and the two populations.

“We want to take down the Berlin wall of Southwest 8th that divides Sweetwater and our FIU,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/e ... rylink=cpy

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was supposed to be a cable supported bridge, except they didn't have the cables installed yet.

I'd guess someone at the city didn't want to shut down a lane of traffic for a temporary support.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Build bridges not walls?.................Should have kept the wall.
Or at least not bought the bridge section from the lowest bidder on Craigslist.

"When Kenneth Jessell, FIU’s Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration and Chief Financial Officer, arrived in 2009, he said FIU President Mark Rosenberg took him into Sweetwater and told him he wanted to “bridge the gap” between the two cities and the two populations.

“We want to take down the Berlin wall of Southwest 8th that divides Sweetwater and our FIU,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/e ... rylink=cpy

Yeah he is an arrogant POS politician but will never be held accountable (like any other POS politician, look at Hill & Billary Klinton).

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait. So a major structural element was left out, and they wonder why it collapsed?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently bridges are not better than walls, Mrs. Clinton.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Live TV news said there are 18 cars trapped underneath, were stopped at a light when the bridge collapsed.
A witness said they were tightening the overhead support cables doing a stress test and a large something fell from the crane and broke bridge in half.
Snapped off the upper portion of the support upright that held the cables.

Didn't need a 40 foot wide 950 ton bridge with benches and picnic tables..........

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You NEVER have shit under anything you're constructing... WTF....

They left traffic open?! NO! you shut down the road and do that shit at night.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the idiocracy grows in power...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
You NEVER have shit under anything you're constructing... WTF....

They left traffic open?! NO! you shut down the road and do that shit at night.

Haven't worked on many freeway bridge, overpass and flyover projects have you?

Sometimes traffic is closed while DESTRUCTION or DEMOLITION is taking place. But in general most new construction and widening and improvements are over live traffic.

Speaking from near 20 years in the field...Last project I did was the widening of 16 from Jackson to the old bridge. While the new one was going up. Every overhead structure we did was over live traffic.

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in class at the UW when the stadium collapsed. Horrendous sound that went on seemingly for ever. Fortunately there were no fans in the stands.

Similar thing: They cut corners in the order of operations and didn't install the supports as they went along.

I wonder if this "prefabbed" section was purchased from... I dunno... China?

I always marvel at the individuals who walk around blithely trusting others to look out for their safety...walking with one's back to traffic, driving across rail crossings without even a glance up or down the tracks... walking under workmen or in this case under a bridge under construction....

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Not to sound insensitive but are they going to blame the AR-15 for this too?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sigman226 wrote:
Not to sound insensitive but are they going to blame the AR-15 for this too?

no, but they will blame Trump

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next