Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 New Miami pedestrian bridge collapse, 4+ dead 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
sigman226 wrote:
Not to sound insensitive but are they going to blame the AR-15 for this too?

no, but they will blame Trump

Yep, they will somehow try to tie this back to Trump's push for new infrastructure.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

foothills wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
You NEVER have shit under anything you're constructing... WTF....

They left traffic open?! NO! you shut down the road and do that shit at night.

Haven't worked on many freeway bridge, overpass and flyover projects have you?

LOL.

I thought it was common sense to not have people under you when working on shit, in case shit falls..

Guess that doesn't scale up.... :bigsmile:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
It was supposed to be a cable supported bridge, except they didn't have the cables installed yet.

I'd guess someone at the city didn't want to shut down a lane of traffic for a temporary support.

I have not read any "spews" reports on this yet. Is this true?? They didn't allow a load on it (I hope) but is was over a highway. WTF?????????????? WT A F?????????????????

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard it was made with some cheap Chinese steel. Like Trump Tower. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jonathan Brown wrote:
I heard it was made with some cheap Chinese steel.

I was going to suggest low bidder generic hardware.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I was in class at the UW when the stadium collapsed. Horrendous sound that went on seemingly for ever. Fortunately there were no fans in the stands.

Similar thing: They cut corners in the order of operations and didn't install the supports as they went along.

I wonder if this "prefabbed" section was purchased from... I dunno... China?

I always marvel at the individuals who walk around blithely trusting others to look out for their safety...walking with one's back to traffic, driving across rail crossings without even a glance up or down the tracks... walking under workmen or in this case under a bridge under construction....

I remember when I was doing underground Fiber Installation, we had to have a top-hand on the edge of the trench watching us and making sure that our shoring was installed correctly, and of course we had to have the City, County, GC Inspector also above us and those pricks would NOT let us know when a Truck was approaching (when the dump truck comes in you have to get out of the hole!!!) I got buried up to my chest on one occasion.............Needless to say I fucking blew a gasket. All those fucking pricks were there for OUR safety yet not a single person was watching what was going on and treated it like they were on Vacation.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lets ban all concrete bridges, they kill innocent people

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They were touting the Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) technique while building this bridge.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Like tightening the high string on a guitar to a different tune....just have a half note to go.....................Pop!

Looks like the cable tightening toppled over the central tower that hung the support cables for the bridge deck.
No back tension as the other portion of the bridge that went over the water was not yet installed, which was the design.
That's why the cables became loose.......the support tower was bending. Tightening it more, bends more and concrete doesn't like that.
The two guys on the bridge tightening the cables were probably talking on the phone to some engineer back in the office, looking at the blueprint, who didn't know the other span of the bridge and support cables weren't connected yet.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... rylink=cpy
Late Thursday, came the first definitive word from a government official about what was being done on the bridge when it fell.
U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-FL, said in a Twitter post that:
“The cables that suspend the #Miami bridge had loosened & the engineering firm ordered that they be tightened. They were being tightened when it collapsed today.”

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The central tower wasn't in place yet. You can see the rebar sticking straight out the top where it was supposed to be.

It's unclear to me what cables they were tightening. I tend to think they were post tension cables running through the upper and lower sections. If the bridge was sagging then the cables in the upper part would get loose. Looks like the man lift in the picture was up around where the roof level would be.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The guys in Florida's DOT should go to work with the FBI on the hotline.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/16/se ... rface.html

"...reports emerged about an engineer's warning of cracks days before Thursday's calamitous collapse of a pedestrian bridge in Florida..."

and since so many people died in this, I guess they should blame and ban the cars?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

wow, good video!
Why da fuck did they even keep building it when it already looked like it was 75 years old?

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

necromaniacs among us...

:peep:

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Closure perhaps?

Always interesting looking back on a disaster to see what actually went wrong. I was incorrect in assuming that the central tower was structural. Apparently it was just a design element/architectural detail

Seems like that might have been a better way to support it, but who am I to judge the engineers...

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next