Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Heater repair 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My house heater is not putting out heat.....anyone know repair men in Thurston county....its a heat pump

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Americool. Excellent outfit

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can't recommend the repair guy for ya but..
just before that last cold spell that we had my heater started acting up, blowing for 30 minutes and then shutting off, after manual reset blowing for another 30 and shutting off again...
called the repair guy, he came out, tinkered with it, did some "tuning" and it started working again.
2 days later it just died.
called the repair guy again, another dude comes out - yep, you gonna need a new furnace, they don't make these or parts for them anymore. shit!
i started calling around getting estimates and stuff... 3K for a cheap one, 5+K for a good one, 9 if i want A/C. jeezuss!!!
buddy of my buddy who works for Bob's suggested that i look at the control board...
so i go take it out, it's fairly simple. shit sure, there is a large burnt out spot on it.
started poking around on the web, and come to find out that they in fact do make replacement control boards for this furnace and that particular control board is used in over 300 different furnace models!
$92 on Amazon and 2 days later i had heat again :thumbsup2:
luckily i have a wood stove and was able to heat the house for those days that the heater was out, otherwise i'd be buying electric space heaters icon_eek

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

codfather wrote:
My house heater is not putting out heat.....anyone know repair men in Thurston county....its a heat pump

snakebit99 wrote:
Americool. Excellent outfit

Seems counter-intuitive...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ken Delsite - A Perfect Temp
360-870-7276

He's installed and fixed units for most of my family. He does this part time, weekends and evenings. Works for the State during the week. Basically zero overhead, so his prices are cheap.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Americool showed up and had it fixed all within an hour.....$300 total....Thank you

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:08 pm

movingviolation wrote:
can't recommend the repair guy for ya but..
just before that last cold spell that we had my heater started acting up, blowing for 30 minutes and then shutting off, after manual reset blowing for another 30 and shutting off again...
called the repair guy, he came out, tinkered with it, did some "tuning" and it started working again.
2 days later it just died.
called the repair guy again, another dude comes out - yep, you gonna need a new furnace, they don't make these or parts for them anymore. shit!
i started calling around getting estimates and stuff... 3K for a cheap one, 5+K for a good one, 9 if i want A/C. jeezuss!!!
buddy of my buddy who works for Bob's suggested that i look at the control board...
so i go take it out, it's fairly simple. shit sure, there is a large burnt out spot on it.
started poking around on the web, and come to find out that they in fact do make replacement control boards for this furnace and that particular control board is used in over 300 different furnace models!
$92 on Amazon and 2 days later i had heat again :thumbsup2:
luckily i have a wood stove and was able to heat the house for those days that the heater was out, otherwise i'd be buying electric space heaters icon_eek

HVAC repair companies are rife with scammers.

I had a leak develop on the reversing valve braise on my heat pump. I could hear the leak, see the oil, and feel it with my fingers. Shut the compressor down, marked the leak on the valve line, and scheduled to have a repair man come out while I was away on a work trip.

I detailed the problem in a note and asked that they braise the joint again, evac and recharge the system.

Got a call from wife after he left. He ignored my note, didn't even look at the heat pump, said system needed to be replaced. 10 grand.

I had another company (Gig Harbor Heating & Cooling) come out prepared to do exactly what I asked. Looked at the leak with me, the tech very quickly cleaned the failed joint, braised it with a ton of silver solder, evaced, charged and pressure tested system.

Heat and AC working great ever since, less than $400.

Control boards do die after years of service. Especially if they live outside. When we bought our house the existing heat pump control board was actually cracked on the PCB and would intermittently short out.

Worth noting that most control boards may have some adjustments that need to be set for your particular system, regardless if electric, gas, oil, etc. The defaults might work but may not be efficient.

IMO stuff like contactors should be considered wear items and replaced every couple years.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What was the problem?

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
What was the problem?

Vacuum pressure switch...$175
Diagnostic $110
Tax
Total.....$307.73

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the control board go out in my furnace a while ago.

Looked up part numbers and found the new part that superseded the old one.

Fired right up after I put a jumper on one connection and set some dip switches.

I’m still pretty amazed by how much info we have at our fingertips right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]