Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Woman struck and killed by self-driving Uber vehicle 

I can't wait to see what happens when these self driving cars encounter heavy rain, icy snow covered roads or even a big pot hole or uneven road construction.... "Lock up the brakes' is not the solution to everything. Do you aim for the guard rail, mini van with kids in it or the smart car with two snowflakes in it? I wonder what Apu's decision tree will be.... I'm sure they have addressed some of this, but no way am I gonna trust my life to a programmer...

Planes can fly themselves - right? Why do they fly into mountains or over/undershoot runways?

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the autopilot was distracted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Skynet is becoming aware. Just hope it's not bought up by Umbrella Corp.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:30 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Since everyone is jumping on the smartass comments here's mine...

Maybe the Autopilot Car hated Bicycles.

One way to ensure replacement of the previous Old Timer employee is to make sure the Old Timer doesn't come back to work.

New Generation transport takes out Old Gen.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
PinSniper wrote:
Get these beta testing death machines off the road until they are provably ready.

But how do you do that?

At some point, testing needs to be done in the real world. The same thing happens with software, drugs, airplanes, etc.

I'm not convinced they've actually done ANY testing. Let's see the videos where they've simulated on a closed course the car navigating around bicyclists? I'm going to guess they haven't tested that. That the first time this car encountered a bicyclist, was on the road.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

video of the accident. the bicyclist was not even looking , and the bike just showed up with a second to react.

bicyclist is at fault.

wonder if toxicology was run on the cyclist. Darwin got a winner winner chicken dinner

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, there was no way in hell a normal driver would have avoided that. I doubt a human would have even been able to hit the brakes before hitting her, given reaction time.

No lights on the bike, no reflectors, dark clothing, no street lights. She dead yo.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uh, are you guys maybe inclined to post a link to said video?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://twitter.com/TempePolice/status/ ... technology

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, Jon.

Hmmm. Yeah, the pedestrian is clearly a dumbass . . . but still, I would think that a self-driving car needs to be able to react in that situation. I was under the impression that she had jumped off the sidewalk, but since she was right there in the road, I think the car should be smart enough to deal with that.

The "driver" was clearly multitasking, he wasn't much help.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and by looking at the drivers face, she saw the idiot in the same time the lights illuminated her.

now it depends on what the car saw. what type of system was being used to control that specific vehicle.

best way to clean seattle streets

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Mebbe she was Species Identifying as a Doe.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The video is far worse than your eyes would be in the same situation. Look at the video, it's basically undrivable, but of course, that's not what it actually looks like to human eyes.

Check this video out, if you assume that human eyes are only as good as what the camera captures, the only way this crash was avoided, was using telepathy.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MEN are getting run over by self-driving cars... (oh, yeah... the glass ceiling... not supposed to talk about this...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbViYm13DIU

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arizona halts Uber self-driving tests; supplier says Uber disabled Volvo safety system before fatality

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-uber-pedestrian-technology-20180326-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fbusiness+%28L.A.+Times+-+Business%29

Quote:
Also on Monday, the auto-parts maker that supplied the radar and camera on the Volvo SUV that struck and killed the woman last week said Uber had disabled the standard collision-avoidance technology in the vehicle.

"We don't want people to be confused or think it was a failure of the technology that we supply for Volvo, because that's not the case," Zach Peterson, a spokesman for Aptiv, said by phone. The Volvo XC90's standard advanced driver-assistance system "has nothing to do" with the Uber test vehicle's autonomous driving system, he said.

Aptiv is speaking up for its technology to avoid being tainted by the fatality involving Uber, which may have been following standard practice by disabling other tech as it develops and tests its own autonomous driving system. Experts who saw video of the Uber crash pointed to apparent failures in Uber's sensor system, which failed to stop or slow the car as 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg crossed a street pushing a bicycle.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next