Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Our own DOOM from Googlebot Bingbot Antis Privacy Pirates 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always see them lurking at the bottom of threads. Im just a dummy that cuts wood, but I assume they are mining/harvesting data for their search engines.

I have a few opinions on this practice and some of the settings of a "forum".

There are at least two views on this subject, maybe more. The users view and managements view.

The internet is a GREAT place. But is has shot several folks in the foot, or BOTH feet.

Its a great tool to SHARE info. Its a great place to FIND info. Its also a great place for the WRONG people to FIND shared info.

I find it interesting that the same people we CONSTANTLY complain about are also allowed to BENEFIT from us.

Youtube/Google is a prime example. They are obviously NOT pro gun. Youtube/Google just banned gun related videos. They have been involved in MANY things that dont help or support our industry or sport.

I don't post or share many things because I dont care to share it with EVERY Tom Dick and Harry that found it with a search engine. It influences the way I and other people share THEIR information and lives with others.

While many MEMBERS here are very like minded honest folks, at any given time there are WAY MORE "visitors" using the site viewing ALL that we say.

SO the same folks that HATE us (the internet) also use OUR info for their search engines to make PROFIT that they then use against us.

The 4 wheel drive crowd had to learn the hard way about this process. After sharing wheeling videos and trip reports with every TOM DICK and HARRY pretty soon the spotlight and the vid and pic evidence was used against them and the trails got shut down, one, two, three and so on. We have LOST many great places to wheel because of the publics access and spotlight.

Many 4x4 forums are now PRIVATE. No public or nonmember viewing. Some even require someone to refer you there that have seen/met/mingled/vouched for with other members. Its sad it has to be this way. Protect your sport, keep with mouth shut and your camera off.

Its unfortunate, I have to be/think this way. I will NEVER pipe up in a "where can I shoot" thread. I have my spots and I dont really want to share them with TOM DICK and HARRY. That's how your favorite "spot" gets blocked off and tickets get handed out. Send me a PM, Ill take you shooting. But Im not taking the whole internet shooting.

You are not cool. You are not respected. You are not accepted. You will NOT be TOLLERATED.

YOU ARE A GUN OWNER. Accept it.

Last edited by Old Growth on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

17 members viewing and 13 guests.

Who are the 13???

I dunno, do you?

This thread is not even 5 minutes old yet.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
17 members viewing and 13 guests.

Who are the 13???

I dunno, do you?

This thread is not even 5 minutes old yet.

Hold on Skipper. I'm a "guest" half the time.
I just don't always log in when I stop by to see what's up. A, I don't select "keep me logged in", or "login automagically" on any computer or any part of the 'net. (no body will mess up my stuff) and B, data-miners like joogle don't need to know weather I'm on or not, or how often, for how long, etc. If Steve or Dan want to know they can mung the IP logs, or just ask.

As for joogle, 1: they are a business, making what they believe to be the best decisions for their stock-holders. I don't like their business practices or politics so I try to avoid them, give them as little info as possible. 2: They're not the only search engine. If I can't find something with duckduckgo, I know what local merchants will help me out, or I might use "Phone a Friend"...

ETA: I also expect "the authoritahze" to monitor, and so act accordingly.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a guest. I just chewzie da box to not be seen.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd prefer the website wasn't indexed by search engines, but the Admins know that it brings in hits and drives traffic to the site.

I'd actually be okay with locking it down unless you are a member.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:05 pm

how about a section were just members can go, lock it down.

Greg

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GWP wrote:
how about a section were just members can go, lock it down.

Greg

One other gun forum I belong to (if anyone wants to know PM me) does this. The whole site is free except for the members area. Works pretty good. It's very small with an even smaller number of people that post on a regular basis.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Members only general chat are a nice option.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12 members viewing and 18 guests.

I guess Im just voicing my opinion to "mystery folks".

Everything you post or discuss is viewed by the other side.

This is a war folks, we are LOSING.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, both bots are back to see what they missed!

Freedom at its finest. Or is it capitalism?

Your lifestyle, freedom and rights are for sale right now!

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Easy with the tinfoil here...

The bots do scour every word on the open internet. This helps WaGuns in a few ways. 1) When searching something gun related in a search engine (Greenwater Pit, for example), up pops WaGuns with their cleanups, posts about it being open or closed.. Good information. 2) It keeps our ranking high so that if people are searching more generic terms, but still firearm related but are in our geographic area, WaGuns gets listed up high in the search.

Both of those examples (there are more), brings members into WaGuns. More members = more discussion = better community.

That being said, there are places where we restrict the bots and what they can do/see. They have access to most of the forum, but that doesn't mean they have access to see/scrape the threads or posts in all places.

If it makes you feel better, I can flip a switch so the bots are not visible to your eyes, but they are still there. Almost all forums utilize bots to grow, for SEO and for revenue generation.

As far as the rest, we have sections on here that are member only, no guests. We also have a member only chat.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]