Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 When companies try to save costs, it sometimes costs lives 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure you heard about 1 passenger dead and 7 injured today on a SW airlines flight.
Here is an article I found interesting from last year.
As you know, Boeing doesn't make engines. Customers select which brand they want.

Or in the case of Southwest, some bean counter said "Hey! Let's take those old engines off the old airframes, refurbish them, and hang then on our newer fleet!"
Cutting Costs Costs Lives!

http://www.mro-network.com/maintenance- ... drop-costs

Southwest Airlines is phasing out its Boeing 737 Classic aircraft by about 2017 and is finding ways to use engine inventory from that fleet to decrease its maintenance costs.

Related: AJW And Engineering Of Russia Set Up Stock Base

Mandy Gower, Southwest Airlines’ powerplant supply chain manager, told Aviation Week that the airline employs MTU Canada and BP Aerospace in Irvine, Calif., to tear down its CFMI CFM56-3s that power the Classics. The airline just took the next step and selected Avioserv San Diego to consign the material. Avioserv, a company that specializes in the supply and sale of serviceable engines, will be Southwest’s sole consignment partner to feed used serviceable material back to the airline to decrease CFM56-3 engine overhaul costs. Several parts on the -3, which power Southwest’s 737-300/-400/-500 aircraft, are interchangeable with the CFMI CFM56-7, the engine on the 737-700. Avioserv also will market the excess engine inventory.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess I'll scratch off Southwest Airlines from now on.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My buddy who flies 737 sleds for a competing airlines just sent this as a reply to my email about this incident:

Yep, they've been having an inordinately high number of engine issues. Word on the street is when they have an issue that less catastrophic, rather than report it as per regulations, they simply change out the engine without reporting.

GE and Boeing recommend a 3 minute warmup and cool down period. Meaning 3 minutes from start to takeoff thrust and 3 minutes from high power setting of reverse (landing) to shutdown on taxi to gate. At least in the past, SWA never seemed to follow that guideline. It's pretty important for the life of the engine.

Also, ever wonder why SWA doesn't go to Hawaii? It's because Thank God the FAA mandates very strict and lengthy engine monitoring and proof of reliability programs before permitting it. SWA has had some serious 'documentation' issues in the not so distant past.

It's just their business model. Anyway, it doesn't really surprise me all that much, just a horrific tragedy for the poor fatality and their family as well as the trauma to all the other pax. Of course, I can't say too much, my company killed everyone on board trying to save money on tail jackscrew grease and inspections.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I quit flying Southwest because of the cattle car boarding procedures.
Rather have an assigned seat. Didn't know they were also unsafe.

I ordered a sandwich with cheese, they gave me one without.
I called the stewardess, she got me one with cheese.
Then later said she needed the sandwich back, that I could only pick the cheese off or they would have to charge me for two. WTF!
We came to an agreement that I could put both the meat and cheese on my existing sandwich and she could have the bread back.

Cheap ass fuckers!

I miss the days when you could stuff your pockets with little liquor bottles and stuff them in the barf bag pocket.
Instead of waiting an hour for the cart to roll down the aisle.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
I miss the days when you could stuff your pockets with little liquor bottles and stuff them in the barf bag pocket.
Instead of waiting an hour for the cart to roll down the aisle.

Right? LOL!!!! Remember "Smoking" and "Non-smoking" sections? Same damned air source. LOL!

I had booked a flight using my last air miles from SW for a nephew wedding in July this year (MN)
Just canceled.
I re-booked with my favorite airlines, Alaska.
F*ck that cheap ass Southworst.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:49 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Early 80's I was on a MAC flight from Korea to Hawaii, windshield broke and we turned back.
Gave us tickets for a commercial flight. Korea-Hawaii-SF

Airline security in Hawaii told me I couldn't bring my brass belt buckle because it looked like a gun. Had to check it.
I asked about the pocket aerial flare I had on me.
She said 'Sure, why couldn't you bring that on a plane?'
Like I was stupid for even thinking that it could be prohibited.

Same idiots that were incorporated into TSA.

Last edited by Guntrader on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Early 80's I was on a MAC flight from Korea to Hawaii, windshield broke and we turned back.
Gave us tickets for a commercial flight. Korea-Hawaii-SF

Airline security told me I couldn't bring my brass belt buckle because it looked like a gun. Had to check it.
I asked about the pocket aerial flare I had on me.
She said 'Sure, why couldn't you bring that on a plane?'
Like I was stupid for even thinking that it could be prohibited.

:ROFLMAO:

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:

sportsdad60 wrote:
My buddy who flies 737 sleds for a competing airlines just sent this as a reply to my email about this incident:

Yep, Of course, I can't say too much, my company killed everyone on board trying to save money on tail jackscrew grease and inspections.

Okkk..................

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/13/us/l ... crash.html

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/n ... servicing/

Don't mistake me here, but I have serious issues with one of the high muckety mucks of Alaska. He won't be in my office again with his personal plane.

I don't particularly like SW either, but have good friends that drive them, as well as several other airlines that pilots come to me with their personal planes.

But I still fly both.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And don't fly anything with the kapasin 38 engine they just fall right out of the sky

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:

sportsdad60 wrote:

Yep, Of course, I can't say too much, my company killed everyone on board trying to save money on tail jackscrew grease and inspections.

Okkk..................

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/13/us/l ... crash.html

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/n ... servicing/

Don't mistake me here, but I have serious issues with one of the high muckety mucks of Alaska. He won't be in my office again with his personal plane.

I don't particularly like SW either, but have good friends that drive them, as well as several other airlines that pilots come to me with their personal planes.

But I still fly both.

Yeah, we lost a fremily member on that flight back then. :(

Alaska completely re-wrote their maintenance books AND who they used for maintenance after that tragedy.

It wasn't long after that that Alaska retired all of the McDonald Douglas MD80s.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:09 pm

sportsdad60 wrote:

Yep, they've been having an inordinately high number of engine issues. Word on the street is when they have an issue that less catastrophic, rather than report it as per regulations, they simply change out the engine without reporting.

GE and Boeing recommend a 3 minute warmup and cool down period. Meaning 3 minutes from start to takeoff thrust and 3 minutes from high power setting of reverse (landing) to shutdown on taxi to gate. At least in the past, SWA never seemed to follow that guideline. It's pretty important for the life of the engine.

Also, ever wonder why SWA doesn't go to Hawaii? It's because Thank God the FAA mandates very strict and lengthy engine monitoring and proof of reliability programs before permitting it. SWA has had some serious 'documentation' issues in the not so distant past.

It's just their business model. Anyway, it doesn't really surprise me all that much, just a horrific tragedy for the poor fatality and their family as well as the trauma to all the other pax. Of course, I can't say too much, my company killed everyone on board trying to save money on tail jackscrew grease and inspections.

Im more curious to know where the hell SWA is able to even get a plane from the gate to the take off or from landing to the gate in less than 3 minutes. Dont think ive ever managed to have that happen with the taxiing

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought it was illegal to take used parts off one plane and put them on another.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I'll take the seat by the window right in line with the turbine.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:53 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pablo wrote:
Yeah, I'll take the seat by the window right in line with the turbine.

We did that once on Reno Air.
Looked out the window on an MD 80 and saw the engine right outside the window.
Read about one blowing up and killing passengers a few days later.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At 550 kts, I'll bet the window that blew out was about 10 feet behind alignment with cowling.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next