Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 They know everything about you  

I don't have any illusions that data and images are not being collected.... but what confounds me is how/where are they storing all this data? All this info and images need to be stored somewhere --- and just imagine the enormity of data collected from every camera, reader, cell phone,...ect.... I can't imagine that there is enough server space available to store it ALL, and if so, not for eternity.... Terabyte drives fill up pretty quick with a lot of worthless data.... and to be truly useful, an easy means of searching it is need -- I'm sure they have that figured out by now.... And the question becomes how long do they store what data?

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I don't have any illusions that data and images are not being collected.... but what confounds me is how/where are they storing all this data? All this info and images need to be stored somewhere --- and just imagine the enormity of data collected from every camera, reader, cell phone,...ect.... I can't imagine that there is enough server space available to store it ALL, and if so, not for eternity.... Terabyte drives fill up pretty quick with a lot of worthless data.... and to be truly useful, an easy means of searching it is need -- I'm sure they have that figured out by now.... And the question becomes how long do they store what data?

The cloud is the where, which is, of course, suuuper secure.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are EUGE server farms in the midwest and west coast. They make big news when their generators fire up and foul the air for miles around with diesel smoke or when their power consumption threatens power grid integrity or dries up water supplies (I think both from power generation and cooling needs; I'm going on memory of information scanned and not committed to memory)

Ireland, as I recall, is another place that benefits greatly from the revenues and jobs these generate.

here's a google on data centers:

https://www.google.com/about/datacenters/gallery/#/

they tout windfarm power generation/use. (another ecological nightmare couched as being "green".

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quincy WA has had problems with their server farm's impact:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/tech ... power.html

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:

https://nsa.gov1.info/utah-data-center/

It has a pretty glaring weakness though..

It requires a shit ton of water for cooling. Sure, there are backup and emergency cooling systems, but they actually had to run a huge water pipeline to the facility.

Talking millions of gallons a month..

So, it wouldn't take that much to take it offline.. I'm sure there are redundancies built-in. But nothing a small six-man team can't take care of.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the interest of national security.....

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the water also has to go somewhere.

That would mean that if we could fire a missile in the thermal exhaust port.... we might have a fighting chance against the evil empire.

Meanwhile, the Stormtroopers will be mobilized, trying to hunt down the rebel scum.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2