Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 UK man sentenced to 8 months in jail for flipping off camera 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
8 months for a laser jammer?? That is just stupid

Destruction of evidence is a major crime.

sreyemj wrote:
Our constitution recognizes some natural rights that the UK does not. When the government's right to remotely monitor your speed trumps your right to not be incarcerated, I would argue those rights are probably being violated.

Just because there's a law, doesn't mean it just.

I mean, we have the same laws.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:
Our constitution recognizes some natural rights that the UK does not. When the government's right to remotely monitor your speed trumps your right to not be incarcerated, I would argue those rights are probably being violated.

Very few states have laws against laser jammers.. I believe 4 or 5.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am

root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

Sure, and I'm fairly against speed cameras and other autonomous monitoring devices. The argument usually goes that "you have nothing to fear if you're not committing a crime". Some people might argue the more monitoring, the better, because you are less likely to be victimized and criminals are more likely to be caught.

The issue is that circumventing the monitoring device becomes a crime, and your right to not be incarcerated is contingent on the government's right to monitor your behavior (even if you are not committing a crime).

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

Destruction of evidence is illegal in all 50 states.

sreyemj wrote:
root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

Sure, and I'm fairly against speed cameras and other autonomous monitoring devices. The argument usually goes that "you have nothing to fear if you're not committing a crime". Some people might argue the more monitoring, the better, because you are less likely to be victimized and criminals are more likely to be caught.

The issue is that circumventing the monitoring device becomes a crime, and your right to not be incarcerated is contingent on the government's right to monitor your behavior (even if you are not committing a crime).

Correct, but destroying evidence is still a crime in itself. And a very stiff one at that. Had he just left it, and not tried to play that game it would have been a much lower penalty.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:21 pm

root wrote:
Correct, but destroying evidence is still a crime in itself. And a very stiff one at that. Had he just left it, and not tried to play that game it would have been a much lower penalty.

Unless they have evidence that he was speeding, I'm very unsympathetic to this type of prosecution. Jail for destroying a device you may have been using to evade detection of a crime you may have been committing is just sad.

Elected officials in towns with speed cameras should have GPS speed monitors on their vehicles. Tickets can be emailed to save postage.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

sreyemj wrote:
root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

It's not evidence unless it exists...

Otherwise you'd get an evidence tampering charge for wearing gloves during your robbery..lolol

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
root wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

sreyemj wrote:
root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

Otherwise you'd get an evidence tampering charge for wearing gloves during your robbery..lolol

Ah yes, the ole ITS NOT EVIDENCE IF ITS ALREADY DESTROYED argument. Bulletproof logic there my friend.

sreyemj wrote:
root wrote:

Unless they have evidence that he was speeding, I'm very unsympathetic to this type of prosecution. Jail for destroying a device you may have been using to evade detection of a crime you may have been committing is just sad.

Elected officials in towns with speed cameras should have GPS speed monitors on their vehicles. Tickets can be emailed to save postage.

So... the multiple videos/stills of him using the jammer... With his face clearly visible is not evidence. Got it. I get hating on speed cams, but ffs yall being obtuse for the sake of it. He committed a crime, was caught, THEN committed a worse crime of tampering with evidence.

FFS, Come off it.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
root wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

sreyemj wrote:
root wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

sreyemj wrote:

Ah yes, the ole ITS NOT EVIDENCE IF ITS ALREADY DESTROYED argument. Bulletproof logic there my friend.

sreyemj wrote:
root wrote:

So... the multiple videos/stills of him using the jammer... With his face clearly visible is not evidence. Got it. I get hating on speed cams, but ffs yall being obtuse for the sake of it. He committed a crime, was caught, THEN committed a worse crime of tampering with evidence.

FFS, Come off it.

No.

If he made fingerprints then wiped everything down afterwards, that's tampering.

If he wore gloves, it's not.there was no evidence to destroy because it didn't exist yet

Ditto with laser jammer, which is a glorified flashlight with an invisible beam.

They need to be able to prove he's speeding, and they can't. He didn't wipe the memory of the LASER system after his speed was registered, he prevented his speed from being registered at all....

Is a flashlight in a camera lens 'tampering with evidence'? No. Is erasing the footage? Yes.

Pretty clear distinction in my book.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
No.

If he made fingerprints then wiped everything down afterwards, that's tampering.

If he wore gloves, it's not.there was no evidence to destroy because it didn't exist yet

Ditto with laser jammer, which is a glorified flashlight with an invisible beam.

They need to be able to prove he's speeding, and they can't. He didn't wipe the memory of the LASER system after his speed was registered, he prevented his speed from being registered at all....

Is a flashlight in a camera lens 'tampering with evidence'? No. Is erasing the footage? Yes.

Man, sometimes you are so obtuse.

He had been using a jammer.

They had video footage that showed his car, and his face. (And his bird.)

They detected a jammer.

They started an investigation, and when asked, he lied about it. But then tried to destroy the jammer. Then threw it in the river.

They came back and questioned him again.

Notice: He admitted that he had used a jammer.

And then: He admitted guilt, in court, to exactly the charges he was jailed for.

The law said he was guilty. The officers said he was guilty. The courts said he was guilty. HE said he was guilty. The only person in the world that is still screaming that he is not guilty, and was arrested/jailed simply because he flipped off the camera... Is you.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
No.

They detected a jammer.

They started an investigation, and when asked, he lied about it. But then tried to destroy the jammer. Then threw it in the river.

And then: He admitted guilt, in court, to exactly the charges he was jailed for.

The law said he was guilty. The officers said he was guilty. The courts said he was guilty. HE said he was guilty. The only person in the world that is still screaming that he is not guilty, and was arrested/jailed simply because he flipped off the camera... Is you.

....and we go back to jammers shouldn't be illegal...

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Selador wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
No.

They detected a jammer.

Gotta admit. You are consistent. Obtusely so. But consistent. :ROFLMAO:

The way you change the target every time you get pinned down, would make any snowflake liberal proud...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any time the word Jammer is typed on this forum, threads don't end well....

(though last time it was part of a moniker...)

Perhaps the word should be banned :bigsmile:

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Selador wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
No.

They detected a jammer.

Gotta admit. You are consistent. Obtusely so. But consistent. :ROFLMAO:

The way you change the target every time you get pinned down, would make any snowflake liberal proud...

LOL.

The way the police worded it made it sound like they went after him because they got flipped off, as in they would've said 'whatever' if he wasn't so flippant...

Kinda like how you get pulled over for 'failure to dim' for flashing your highbeams to warn other motorists, despite such activity being clearly defined as protected speech.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, fuck me running with an open donut.

One thing is for sure.

Technoweenie - you got an astonishing career ahead of you working for CNN.

Anyone who can twist the English language into a pretzel and shit it out the eye of a needle as well as you can gets a starting salary in multiples of seven figures, their own show, and a bunch of plastic back up bitches as talking heads and scenery.

Why are you wasting your talent here, when you could be verbally trashing the entire English speaking world on tee vee ?

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Selador wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
No.

They detected a jammer.

And yet they are in the jurisdiction in question.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2