Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Robot Subamrine finds shipwreck worth BILLIONS 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

icon_eek

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/rob ... ocid=ientp

The exact location of the wreckage is still a secret, but it was discovered in November 2015 off the coast of Cartagena, Colombia. Its cargo of gold, silver, and emeralds could be worth as much as $17 billion.

Wed May 23, 2018 8:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like a real life Clive Cussler novel in the making!

Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Well, with that much gold flooding the market will gold prices/value drop?.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand how Colombia could claim that they own it. Spain either really. Is it not a "finders keepers" situation? If they wanted it so badly they should have found it themselves.

Wed May 23, 2018 8:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chich627 wrote:
I don't understand how Colombia could claim that they own it. Spain either really. Is it not a "finders keepers" situation? If they wanted it so badly they should have found it themselves.

That was my understanding of things like this. It's like "Salvage law" or something. But apparently Spain has seized treasure that other people have found in the past.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/ ... rned-spain

What's the point of searching for lost shipwrecks if they steal the shit you find?

Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
chich627 wrote:

That was my understanding of things like this. It's like "Salvage law" or something. But apparently Spain has seized treasure that other people have found in the past.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/ ... rned-spain

What's the point of searching for lost shipwrecks if they steal the shit you find?

First rule of Salvage Club: don't talk about Salvage Club.

Neither Spain nor Columbia would know about it if no one told them.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 am

It was found in 1981 but the government was going to take about 98% of the treasure so the group that found it never did the recovery.

Wed May 23, 2018 11:20 am

I knew the maritime salvage laws went way back in time and had to do with piracy, but didn't realize how far.... quick read without digging too deep....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_salvage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_sa ... nd_the_law

I think Spain can lay claim to the treasure since the boat was sailing under the Spanish flag --- old school maritime law --- ignore the fact that the treasure was stolen/pillaged from the Incas/Aztecs/others.
And Colombia is laying claim since its in their territorial waters --- useless gov acting in its own best interest with no effort.

After watching so many discovery/history channel shows, the people who actually find and recover the treasure NEVER get to keep it all....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Paul Allen found it he would just give the money to some anti gun group.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed May 23, 2018 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]