Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 USAF Light Attack [Aircraft] Experiment 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting article this morning. The second time recently in the news that I have seen mention of the USAF exploring the possibility of a twin turbo prop light attack aircraft for use in theaters where stealth is not required i.e. no active hostile air defenses are present.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/air-force-wants-an-attack-plane-to-lighten-the-load-on-high-tech-jets

The Air Force hasn't operated a low speed, turbo prop ground attack/close air support aircraft since the transfer of the entire USAF and USN Skyraider fleet to the South Vietnamese Air Force on withdrawal from Vietnam during 1972 and 1973.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-1_Skyraider#Republic_of_Vietnam_Air_Force

Article discusses that the USAF does not have a good alternative to using an F-22 Raptor for dropping munitions in Afghanistan, even though the Raptor costs around $70,000 per hour to operate in the theater and no real hostile air defenses are present.

Interesting that at least some focus is returning to cheap and affordable prop driven attack aircraft after so many decades focused almost exclusively on the development of successive generations of stealth technology (e.g. F-117 Nighthawk -> F-22 Raptor -> F-35 Lightning II).

Sat May 26, 2018 6:48 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting. I didn't know that there was such a discussion ongoing.

I wonder WHY the F-22 costs $70,000/hour to operate? Could that be reduced?

Something makes me a little nervous about sending someone out in one of those turboprops and saying, "oh don't worry, they don't have air defenses, this one's cheaper to fly and you'll be fine" while an F-22 sits on the field idle.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A-37 Dragonfly for the win. Cheap to produce, Complete ground attack package that’ll carry anything in our inventory...and it’s a proven design.

Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RockHopper wrote:
A-37 Dragonfly for the win. Cheap to produce, Complete ground attack package that’ll carry anything in our inventory...and it’s a proven design.

Interesting point I had almost completely forgotten about the Cessna T-37 Tweet. The Tweet in particular was used for decades as the primary vehicle for USAF pilot training (retired from inventory in 2009 apparently). Did not realize there was an A-37 variant for ground attack.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_T-37_Tweet

Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know that there was such a discussion ongoing.

I wonder WHY the F-22 costs $70,000/hour to operate? Could that be reduced?

Something makes me a little nervous about sending someone out in one of those turboprops and saying, "oh don't worry, they don't have air defenses, this one's cheaper to fly and you'll be fine" while an F-22 sits on the field idle.

I bet the F-22 operating figure includes the cost of the forward operating base, ground support personnel, aerial refueling assets, and other support operations necessary to field the aircraft. IMO one of the finest aircraft ever produced though not terribly surprised about the high operating cost. Toss in the cost of a KC-135 aircrew, operating expense, and fuel expense and things could add up pretty quickly.

One thing to consider is that thousands upon thousands of close air support missions were flown using the Douglas A1 Skyraider in Korea and Vietnam. There's always risk of aircraft and pilot loss due to small arms fire (i.e. Golden BB) though any competent planner would never send such a plane into heavily contested airspace without aircraft to provide SEAD and fighter cover, even then probably a poor idea at best in that kind of environment now that we have fifth generation stealth aircraft available (e.g. F-22 and F-35).

Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OV-10 Bronco was a stellar aircraft, and still in use in South America. For a current contender, the Tucano would fill the bill nicely.

Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or this nasty light aircraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUvopWEy0RE

Sat May 26, 2018 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aaaand it crashed on the bombing range.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ing-pilot/

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
RockHopper wrote:

Interesting point I had almost completely forgotten about the Cessna T-37 Tweet. The Tweet in particular was used for decades as the primary vehicle for USAF pilot training (retired from inventory in 2009 apparently). Did not realize there was an A-37 variant for ground attack.

The YAT-37D, and the A-10 would both be good choices. We had an A-10 come in one time missing 1/2 a wing, and an engine. The pilot was like oh well it'll buff out.
https://media.defense.gov/2017/Mar/31/2 ... KOSOVO.PDF

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:
RockHopper wrote:

The YAT-37D, and the A-10 would both be good choices. We had an A-10 come in one time missing 1/2 a wing, and an engine. The pilot was like oh well it'll buff out.
https://media.defense.gov/2017/Mar/31/2 ... KOSOVO.PDF

I had an A-10 poster on my wall growing up... right next to the Countach....

I saw pics from Desert Storm/Shield, with an A10 in pieces, as mentioned, half wing missing, rear stabilizers all but gone, sitting on the tarmac.... .riddled with holes...... Pilot had landed it..... Triple redundant systems FTW!

:patriot:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]