Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:25 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 I need a gym buddy, do you? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't think this fit in GD but a mod suggested it, so, instead of being just about me it probably makes more sense to kinda make it a universal thread for those wanting a gym buddy.

Me:I'm woefully out of shape. I need to lose weight, and depression brought on by events in the last year is straight up kicking my ass. I used to have confidence coming out of my ass and wouldn't care what someone else thought but a few shit relationships and other events in the past years haven't helped and my confidence is pretty shit. Just being honest here. I have an L.A. Fitness membership but have only gone 3x in the past 2 months because I can't find motivation. For those who know me and my posts it's probably a shock to see me actually humble myself ask for help, but I know when I'm defeated.

I'm looking for someone in Tacoma area that is willing to go to a gym and work out. Probably a mix of biking, walking, and weight lifting.

I have L.A. Fitness but open to others like planet fitness. I like L. A. because they have a pool that's low impact, and a hot tub that's even lower impact. Haha...

My schedule is wide open.

If there are others that are looking for gym buddies, feel free to post up here, with what your needs are and what your area is and hopefully everyone can get hooked up.

Better yet, WAfitness? I know everyone has different schedules, but it might help trying to get some idea of when people go to the gym to hopefully work out with like minded people. Let's all be honest, most of us are out of shape.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I stay away from gyms, so I’m no help. (I get my workouts at work) Really, I just wanted to point out that if you are still trying, still looking for a way to improve yourself....than you haven’t given up yet.

Even if this doesn’t work, there are infinite ways to get moving. You don’t have a job. Perhaps look into hanging door flyers. It’s an aerobic workout, and you’ll get paid. Even if it isn’t much, even if you can’t do a lot at first. Getting paid for exercise beats the shit out of paying a gym. Just don’t let yourself stop in your process man. Little steps add up to life changing progress.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good on you for seeking this help!

I’m nowhere near the Tacoma area. Nor do I have any time to work out (by the time I have free time to myself after chasing the kids around, last thing I want to do is go out to a gym). But I hope that you’re able to achieve your fitness goals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Start off slow, and gradually work your way into the gym. Its awesome outside this time of year, go out and start with walking a mile or two, then up from there. No need to pay a membership to walk on a tredmill with this weather.

As a former fat kid, I can tell you that all the working out in the world wont do shit unless you change your diet to pair up with it.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ugh. YES I NEED A GYM BUDDY. i have ZERO motivation for working out, but i really need to lose weight :*(

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am in NE Tacoma and work out at the center at norpoint. Weights and stair climber. If you Want to come up here TW, I will also teach you Muay Thai. It’s a useful skill, builds confidence and is very aerobic. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Any other wagunners who want to train in Muay Thai are also welcome

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not in the Tacoma area but it helps to have a group to talk to about what is and isn't working. I try to get to the gym 3-5 days a week for an hour. Warm up and everything done in an hour.
I used to not pay much attention to my food and just eat what ever I wanted. The last 3 months I have been working with a nutrition coach and tracking my macros. I was eating 2300-2500 calories a day and dropped 20 pounds in three months.

DIET IS SUPER IMPORTANT!!

Go luck in your journey and just keep chipping away at it. Nothing happens overnight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish I could find the time.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
Eventually you just have to make the time. Take your gym clothes to work and find a gym between home and work. I give myself a hard cut off everyday to leave work in order to make it to the gym and get my time in.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:56 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Fungunnin wrote:
Rix86 wrote:
Eventually you just have to make the time. Take your gym clothes to work and find a gym between home and work. I give myself a hard cut off everyday to leave work in order to make it to the gym and get my time in.

My gym is 5 minutes from the office and I make myself go every day at lunch. It's the only real time I can make and it's better than nothing. My trainer gives me short, high intensity workouts and changes things up all the time.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

John, good on your for taking that step (pun intended with your recent injury) of asking for help. But listen to one thing. Don't let a lack of a buddy system keep you from going to the gym. I had gym memberships for years, rarely went. Always an excuse of why today wasn't a good day. I couldn't even spend 30 minutes of a day doing physical activity. My T was low, I was overweight and starting towards a pretty pad spiral.

One day, something snapped. I was tired of being tired. I looked to my friends to help motivate me to get to the gym, and some did for a few days, but most also didn't/couldn't/wouldn't make time. Eventually I forced myself to go. Made myself little deals and promises if I went I would reward myself. I went for 2 weeks, 5 days a week. The first week was tough, but the 2nd week was easier. I skipped the beginning of the 3rd week and I felt down, depressed, bleh. Realized I was now addicted to GOING to the gym. I could only take a couple days off with limited physical activity before my body craved working out.

So, go... Get your ass to the gym. 2 weeks. 10 days. Go light, don't hurt yourself, just let your body know that you are going to start this process. And drink lots of water.

I write this as I just got back from the gym, with a big ass bottle of water, 3 egg whites and 2 turkey sausages.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is when I get off work I have to go straight to daycare to pick my son up.
Then wait for the wife to get off work at 6. Then there's gotta be dinner and some dishes or laundry or something at some point.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone who also struggles with this, I have found success in the past a couple of ways. Either go to a fitness class (they typically have cycling, water workouts, boot camp, etc.) where I have an appointed time to show up. En leu of that, go and hit a recumbent bike for an hour and check your phone. Even if you're not getting a good workout, you are creating the habit.

I personally like the fitness classes because I suck at accountability. Something like TRX would probably be good for you, and you can adjust intensity as your fitness increases.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You cannot outrun a bad diet, but I do find that working out helps my confidence and self image incredibly. Get out there and ignore everyone but your own goals!

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone who has met me has thought that is one big bastard and my blood sugars have been out of whack. My Dr started me on a program of fruit and veggies, they even give me $60 a month in coupons for free fruits and veggies from farmers markets (this also gets you walking around) and have sent me to special cooking classes for fruits and veggies so they do not get boring. I have been on the program for just over 5 week and even the Dr. is amazed that my Blood sugar is for the most part normal 80-130. Not only that but I have days my energy level is starting to rise and I have days I just have to keep busy. Now we are working on an exercise program that will be tricky because of not having cartilage left in my knees and degenerative arthritis in my back. Talk to your Doctor maybe they have a similar program or know of one, start with your diet and work into the exercise. I am sure you can find a lot of support here and in your real life friends and family.

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]