Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Removing yellowjacket nest 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About to start searching for suggestions on removing a yellow jacket nest. I assume that's what they are. Swarming little yellow bees.

My elevated back deck is about 5' off the ground. I have a dog house under my elevated deck off the back of my house. My dogs rarely use it, but it's there. Directly under the deck.

The dog house is a simple design. I used a pallet as the floor and pallets for walls, and nailed plywood floors and walls and roof. I laid down some carpet and padding. So the front is fully open. Bees look like they are nesting in the base opening areas, between the carpet and floor maybe?

It poses some risk of being stung or swarmed by angry bees for a human or a dog.

I'd normally let them be(e) if they weren't a threat but I think they need to go.

Heavy clothing, netting over face, and use poison sprays or water hose, or any other suggestions?

I'm reluctant to use poisons since it's in my dog house. If I do I'll have to dispose of the carpet and wash the whole thing out.

I can't safely use fire or smoke. Any thoughts?

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:37 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

It sounds like hornets, not yellow jackets. (Not even sure of their correct names.)
If it has a big paper nest and the bees do seem protective, you can find people who will remove them for you. They are a PITA compared to what we call yellow jackets. YJs build circular nests with exposed egg chambers, and are much less aggressive.
On an individual basis WD40 is an almost instant Lights Out signal for either of them, but I wouldn't attack the globular paper shaped nests until a cold morning. They all die off after a few good frosts BTW.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4 cans of 20 foot wasp/hornet spray.

Kill with extreme prejudice.

Any other methods, +1 post for the video.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I use an industrial sized spray can of organophosphate hornet spray.
Make the nest drip.

Nerve agent for bugs.

It does have an oily base so take that into consideration if spraying around nicely finished wood.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use brake parts cleaner
drops them mf faster than your flute would if you seen Hillary naked

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:57 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

^^ This is what we call a hornet nest... Our colloquial terminology may be off. These paper nests are built full of hate and contempt for mankind.

The one below are full of cool little guys who live and let live, unlike the murderous little fucking bastards in the paper nest above.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pablo wrote:
4 cans of 20 foot wasp/hornet spray.

Kill with extreme prejudice.

Any other methods, +1 post for the video.

:plusone:

PAPISJEEP wrote:
I always use brake parts cleaner
drops them mf faster than your flute would if you seen Hillary naked

:ROFLMAO:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you guys trying to get him killed?
No one has mentioned:
DO IT AT NIGHT! They will all be inside, all comfy and somewhat asleep.
Meanwhile, you'll be all Ninja and stuff.
DEATH TO INFIDELS!!!

Web info - https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/wasp.htm

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

AR15L wrote:
Are you guys trying to get him killed?
No one has mentioned:
DO IT AT NIGHT!

Yeah, we, uh, "forgot" to mention that . . . .

:peep:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:42 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

No no no! leadcounsel, Mr AR15L is going to get you swollen up with little painful bumps.

Night will NOT help you, only cold temps will.

If it is a papernest, I'd wait for a frost, or invest in the 20 foot cans that Pablo and Papisjeep mentioned. I'm cheap. Have lots of WD40 in pump spray bottles, but I am sure those fancy brake cleaner and hornet killer sprays work at least as well.
If it is the other type of nest, I'd let them be if they let you be, but you did mention aggressiveness.

From Rick's link :
Quote:
The best strategy is to treat the wasp nest at night when all the workers and queen are present.

Insanity. Seriously, wait until a cold morning if you need to get close to spray them

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try to get a picture of it. If it's the nice guys, beekeepers are known to come over and safely remove them. They want the swarm. Bees are cool.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
It sounds like hornets, not yellow jackets. (Not even sure of their correct names.)
If it has a big paper nest and the bees do seem protective, you can find people who will remove them for you. They are a PITA compared to what we call yellow jackets. YJs build circular nests with exposed egg chambers, and are much less aggressive.
On an individual basis WD40 is an almost instant Lights Out signal for either of them, but I wouldn't attack the globular paper shaped nests until a cold morning. They all die off after a few good frosts BTW.

I think you have that backwards.

Hornets are part of the wasp family. Yellowjackets are wasps. They often times nest underground although some do make nests in trees. The in-ground ones (I've heard) are more aggressive, but they all are mean.

Paper wasps, the ones with long dangly legs, have the open celled nests and aren't quite as aggressive. I've worked under eaves and around vents with paper wasp nests and haven't been bothered. Yellow jackets, on the other hand are entirely in-your-face aggressive. The Devil's spawn.

Here's Orkin on the subject:

"Paper wasps can be identified by their slender bodies and long legs, which hang beneath them during flight. Most paper wasps have black or dark-brown bodies with yellow markings, although there can be some variations in color.

While they appear extremely similar to yellow jackets, paper wasps are slightly larger and differ in behavior. Yellow jackets often build their nests in burrows in the ground or large sac-like, above-ground nests. Yellow jackets are aggressive and can oftentimes be found swarming trash cans and spills of human food. Paper wasps build nests that typically are smaller, under protected overhangs like door frames, and umbrellalike with the nest cells exposed."

https://www.orkin.com/stinging-pests/wa ... p-species/

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

do it in night when they are sleeping, and soak that bitch. if you have a fire extinguisher use that too

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12 gauge shotgun with number 9 shot for the win.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hair spray and a match. cookem crispy

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next