Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PSA - Dont eat the Honey Smacks 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
The real question is....why is it a salmonella outbreak? In cereal.

Yah, can't quite fathom the "how" of this outbreak. The CDC homepage doesn't have any kind of explanation, clear or otherwise, as to how the Salmonella bacteria, which likes moisture, managed to end up not only contaminating the dry cereal (which is made at multiple plants) but continued to remain alive once in the dry cereal.

If it were a single batch, I'd be thinking manufacturing plant rodent contamination or something similar. Thing is, it's not a single batch or lot. The CDC's stark blanket statement reading "Do not eat any Kellogg’s Honey Smacks cereal, regardless of package size or best-by date. Check your home for it and throw it away, or return it to the place of purchase for a refund." has me wondering. I actually did some research on Salmonella serotype Enteriditis in university and, similar to some other bacteria, it requires very specific conditions to remain viable.

It's very odd, is what I'm saying, that the bacteria remained viable through the manufacturing, packaging, transport and storage processes.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
The real question is....why is it a salmonella outbreak? In cereal.

Yah, can't quite fathom the "how" of this outbreak. The CDC homepage doesn't have any kind of explanation, clear or otherwise, as to how the Salmonella bacteria, which likes moisture, managed to end up not only contaminating the dry cereal (which is made at multiple plants) but continued to remain alive once in the dry cereal.

If it were a single batch, I'd be thinking manufacturing plant rodent contamination or something similar. Thing is, it's not a single batch or lot. The CDC's stark blanket statement reading "Do not eat any Kellogg’s Honey Smacks cereal, regardless of package size or best-by date. Check your home for it and throw it away, or return it to the place of purchase for a refund." has me wondering. I actually did some research on Salmonella serotype Enteriditis in university and, similar to some other bacteria, it requires very specific conditions to remain viable.

It's very odd, is what I'm saying, that the bacteria remained viable through the manufacturing, packaging, transport and storage processes.

Check out the link I posted, and also Google it. Apparently Salmonella species (food borne type) can live in Aw conditions lower than I imagined as well.

My GUESS it was in the honey/sugar solution spray or semi-dry mix......

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I just had a 2-flusher but I think it was the bag of cherries.

Damn cherries do the same to me if I eat a lot of them.... They are SO GOOD though... :bigsmile:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:15 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

RocketScott wrote:
*This cereal has been processed in a machine that may have contained nuts...

You would hope nobody would put their nuts in a processing machine... but this generations kids probably did it for a shout out on an instagram workplace hazard video..

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2