Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mouse guns such as the Raven 25 

Interesting side note on these, I had once captured a mole with my shovel and had put it in a five gallon bucket way back when I was in my teens. Orders came down from high (mom) that the mole was to be dispatched with haste. My buddy at the time had a raven .25 and since I only operated with air guns at the time I let him have a go at it. He shot it from the top of the bucket an it hit center body with a .25 hollow point. It flinched and kept moving. Bullet didn’t even go through the bucket. After watching it run around the bucket for some time i got my crossman 760 and tapped it in the head to end it all. The B.B. did break the bucket. At the time my buddy bought that raven used for $35 bucks. I told him rocks were cheaper and probably more lethal than that pos.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry but no. Squib load maybe.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Mole was leaking and everything and the gun cycled, could have been a tough mole or maybe that .25 acp load was garbage. This was back in the day when a hollowpoint was nothing more than a round nosed with a case if gingivitis. Buddy said if he had to do it all over again he would have bought the .22 lr raven for $50. Ammo was way cheaper for that and still is.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:42 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Did Ravens come in .22 LR?
I have only seen then them in .25 ACP

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:48 pm

When they first came out they had the option of either .25 acp or .22 lr, but the .22 lr was an extra ten dollars if you went through a dealer. Back in the eighties when I was a younger lad I perused through my friends dad’s dealer catalogues. He had a home business on the side when you could easily do such things before Clinton started to squeeze them out with fees an bureaucratic B.S. in the catalogue you had the option of blue or nickel finish and caliber and slight choice of grips, all for extra of course. Raven by far was the cheapest he dealt with, he also did tec -9’s and the cobray derringers too. All his customers were blue collar budgeted and not hunters, just folks who wanted something cheap and work and left in a nightstand for bumps in the night.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Btw I think his cost on brand new .25 was about 35 with the nickel finish I’m not sure, but he was selling for 50 at friend prices. This was around 1989, maybe 90. Shoot gas was still around .75 a gallon back then.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My second pistol I ever bought was a Jennings J-22 ($54.95). I had to use high velocity ammo or it would jam, sold it for $75 about 3 years later

If you are interested I did a write up on the Jennings family and the ring of fire

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/0 ... -fire.html

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
Interesting side note on these, I had once captured a mole with my shovel and had put it in a five gallon bucket way back when I was in my teens. Orders came down from high (mom) that the mole was to be dispatched with haste. My buddy at the time had a raven .25 and since I only operated with air guns at the time I let him have a go at it. He shot it from the top of the bucket an it hit center body with a .25 hollow point. It flinched and kept moving. Bullet didn’t even go through the bucket. After watching it run around the bucket for some time i got my crossman 760 and tapped it in the head to end it all. The B.B. did break the bucket. At the time my buddy bought that raven used for $35 bucks. I told him rocks were cheaper and probably more lethal than that pos.

Jeff Cooper used to say that you should never buy a .25 Auto, because if you do you may be tempted to load it and if you load it you may be tempted to carry it and if you carry it you may have to use it to shoot somebody and if you shoot somebody with it...and they find out about it, they will be very mad at you.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
Jeff Cooper used to say that you should never buy a .25 Auto, because if you do you may be tempted to load it and if you load it you may be tempted to carry it and if you carry it you may have to use it to shoot somebody and if you shoot somebody with it...and they find out about it, they will be very mad at you.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I like Coop's writing style.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2