Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Garden Hose Reel - recommendations 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hands down the best hoses I have bought are "GatorHyde" hoses made here in the USA by your neighbors in Oregon. I would not say they are stiff, but very "tubular". Makes them kinda a handful in that it wants to twist sometimes as you unroll it but it also keeps them from kinking. If it starts to form a kink it will just unroll out of the kink loop. SOLID machined end fitting can be driven over hundreds of times and never deformed.

I love these hoses and have been using them for over 6 years with NO problems. I never turn the faucet off. I have a spray nozzle on one and valves on the ends of the others. They never get "baloony" or care about winter. They dont get the "hose taste" either when drinking from them.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tonydec wrote:
I also kill those reels regularly. My plans are to make one. Haven't done it yet, but I've seen where people use a wheel, typically from a brand of sports car they have/like. You can mount it on a post or against the wall. I doubt you can break it.

That's an excellent idea, and I happen to have a spare M-Sport rear wheel from my bimmer. Anybody know what to use for a swivel fitting?

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a related note, how would I mount a hose reel to my wall? Do I need to find a stud and sink a screw in there past the siding and particle board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
On a related note, how would I mount a hose reel to my wall? Do I need to find a stud and sink a screw in there past the siding and particle board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, if you can find a stud, used some 1/4 x 2 1/2 inch stainless lag bolts. If you go any longer than 3 inches on the bolts you risk hitting your internal house wire. Your sheathing could be as weak as 1/2 inch OSB and wont hold a lag very well. If you can't find a stud try using some stainless toggle bolts.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
A good hose reel is only part of the solution, you need a quality hose. Heavy duty does not always mean quality. Air hoses have 120 psi and are thinner than those insane industrial garden hoses. A heavy hose will tear up most hose reels, plus you can't fit more than 50 feet of them. A few years ago my wife wanted a nice hose and reel. I did a good bit of research and found a company that makes a lightweight commercial hose and teamed it with a nice metal rotating hose real from Home depot. The hose was not cheap, 100 bucks for 100 foot. The company is called Water Right. They use industrial grade polyurethane hose then put either stainless or chromed brass fittings in them. Not PVC and aluminum. It is just as flexible when its 35 degrees out and rarely kinks. Since it is light weight it does not tear shit up around the house. A 100 foot of the 7/16 is perfect for watering plants and supplies plenty of water to my pressure washer and works fine for washing cars. We have had it for 3 years now and it looks just as good now as the day we bought it. Zero issues and the wife loves it. They sell 1/2 and 5/8 ID also. Buy once cry once right?

Hose reel with swivel has been real nice.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-Gar ... /205440171

Water right hose Apparently made in Oregon, so that's nice.
https://www.waterrightinc.com/collectio ... hose-25-ft

We went with 75': https://www.waterrightinc.com/collectio ... arden-hose

And also your recommended reel.

The 5/8" stiff beast I moved elsewhere.

I gotta say, that is one nice 1/2" hose! The reel is sweet too, but the wife says I need to mount it lower. Not a problem. I used 5/16" stainless lag screws.

Thank you!!

Oh and I should have started with the failure mode of the last Suncast:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad I could help. It's crazy how you can tell immediately its a quality hose that will last.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hosers

Divided we fall.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo be, like, always asking guys about their hoses.... icon_eek

J/K...good info here...

I bought a highly rated one, two actually, great reviews, but diameter is a little small...

Good ones, made in the US, but I wasn't up on my diameterology of hoses at the time...

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.firehosedirect.com/1-fire-hoses

You want rugged line?

50' of 1" line is only $87

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*gets fancy hose reel, wife still leaves the hose in a tangled pile after watering the garden*

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PW45 wrote:
*gets fancy hose reel, wife still leaves the hose in a tangled pile after watering the garden*

Reality is a cruel bitch. :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
PW45 wrote:

Reality is a cruel bitch. :bigsmile:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink :bigsmile:

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You bitchez are gonna cost me some cash. But I'm going to buy once, cry once as soon as I get off my ass.

I have an outdoor faucet that will barely turn off anymore. Pretty sure I need to figure that out and replace it.

Attached to that faucet is a hose on a hose reel. The reel is broken and floppy. The hose is kinking all over the place. I was standing next to it the other day and it spontaneously popped a leak and shot a thin stream over in my direction.

:facepalm2:

If there was ever a sign from God that I need to spend some money, that was it. Gotta do it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
You bitchez are gonna cost me some cash. But I'm going to buy once, cry once as soon as I get off my ass.

I have an outdoor faucet that will barely turn off anymore. Pretty sure I need to figure that out and replace it.

Attached to that faucet is a hose on a hose reel. The reel is broken and floppy. The hose is kinking all over the place. I was standing next to it the other day and it spontaneously popped a leak and shot a thin stream over in my direction.

:facepalm2:

If there was ever a sign from God that I need to spend some money, that was it. Gotta do it.

The universe works in weird ways, sending messages like that....

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

All right . . . got the 75-foot Water Right 400-series hose, in color cranberry, en route. thumbsup

FYI, if the 400-series is what you want, it's cheaper on the HSN site:
https://www.hsn.com/products/water-righ ... e/10077321

Next up . . . I think I need one of those parallel Eley hose reels. And a new damn faucet. :cussing:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next