Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Outdoor shooting ban 

All of Capital Forest was closed to shooting this weekend with signs posted at all the main areas. Talked with search and rescue they said they were out looking for people and it’s a $1000 ticket!!!!!!! Pretty crazy on a Sunday to hear no shots, dead quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Hill1001 wrote:
I went to school out in Ellensburg...

There's a BIG difference between Ellensburg and the half of the state. East of the Cascades is a tinderbox most of the year, whereas most of the forested land west of the Cascades is almost a swamp year round.

But this is moot because the ban is being lifted since we just had a rain storm this weekend, right? No? It's still there regardless of weather conditions? Yeah, that's about what I would expect from the environmental lawyer/community agitator/antifa-ist elected to run DNR. Just to be clear, smoking drugs around a campfire in the woods is still cool according to the ban. It's just that hot lead and brass falling into all that highly combustible gravel and dirt that's so risky.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1BallJay wrote:
Yondering, completely agree with you. The fires I have been part of that were deemed started by target shooters weren't just announced by some chief. They had thorough investigations that sometimes took a year or more. And that's not just from target shooters that's for any fire with suspicious circumstances. These investigations have to stand up on their own in court because there are hefty fines (in the millions) and jail time. Also, my experience is primarily from the East side of the state. Fire Chiefs, Investigators are not elected officials. The guys I worked for were not politically driven like other elected officials.

The fires that were initially assumed to be from target shooters usually start in known outdoor ranges or witnessed, primarily. If it was a butt of a cig or an outdoor BBQ at a shooting range that usually comes out in the investigation. In my experience fires started from actual projectiles are pretty rare but they do happen.

Hill hit the nail on the head, we need more private ranges. I'm to the point of becoming part of a club in Ellensburg just so I have a place to shoot.

Thanks for the feedback, that makes sense.

I agree 100% with the last comment about the east side conditions being very different than the west side. We've had burn bans here on the wet side at times when I'm pretty certain it would be safe to run around my yard waving a lit roman candle in each hand; but I've camped on the east side when there is no burn ban but things are pretty dry and could easily catch fire. It doesn't seem like the same standard of fire danger on this side.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Last edited by Hill1001 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:08 pm

News Release Media Contact: (509) 664-9200, Public Affairs Officer, Holly Krake
Extreme fire danger across Forest; additional fire restrictions in effect Wenatchee,
WA (August 21, 2018)- Due to extreme fire danger the entire Okanogan-Wenatchee
National Forest, will implement Stage II Fire Restrictions effective Wednesday
August 22, 2018. These new restrictions limit the number of activities that are
typically allowed on the Forest and will remain in effect until significant moisture
arrives. “Extreme fire danger with numerous large wildfires is very serious to the
forest and our communities,” said Deputy Forest Supervisor, Erick Walker. “These
fire restrictions will help us prevent unwanted, human-caused wildfires and limit
the exposure of area residents and visitors during dangerous fire conditions.”
Implementation of fire restrictions normally occurs based on a combination of
carefully considered factors including current and predicted weather, fuel moisture,
fire activity levels and available firefighting resources. Stage II fire
restrictions prohibit the following: Building, maintaining, attending or using a
fire, campfire, or stove fire, including briquette fires, and torches. Pressurized
or bottled liquid fuel stoves, lanterns, or heating devices are permitted, provided
such devices are used in areas that are barren or cleared of all overhead and
surrounding flammable material within 3 feet of the device. Smoking, except within
an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an
area at least 3 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable
material. Operating an internal combustion engine-powered device, including
chainsaws, except persons with a Forest Service permit specifically authorizing use.
Motor vehicles, with appropriate spark arresting devices, operated on National
Forest System roads and motorized trails or parked in areas devoid of vegetation are
exempted, as are generators with an approved spark arresting device within an
enclosed vehicle, building, or area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and
surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet. Welding, or operating an acetylene
torch, or other torch with open flame. Discharging a firearm. This prohibition does
not apply to persons engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal
laws and regulations. Using an explosive (always in effect). Possessing,
discharging, or using any fireworks (always in effect). For a complete list of
approved and non-approved fire types and devices as well as the full closure order
please visit www.fs.usda.gov/goto/fire-restrictions. This order is for public use of
the Forest. USDA Forest Service permit and contract holders remain accountable to
Industrial Fire Precaution Levels (IFPL) restrictions as specified. -End- Graphic-
Nationally, an estimated 90 percent of wildfires are human caused. In some states,
this number increases to 95 percent or more. Learn more about the One Less Spark
campaign at www.readyforwildfire.org/One-Less-Spark-Campaign Stay connected to your
public lands. Get the latest forest news and alerts by texting ‘follow OkaWenNF’ to
40404, 'liking' us on facebook or following us on twitter @OkaWenNF. Sign up for
email at tinyurl.com/ybwq6gp3. ‌ ‌ ‌ The mission of the USDA Forest Service is to
sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation's forests and
grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations. USDA is an equal
opportunity provider, employer, and lender. UDSA Forest Service | 215 Melody Lane,

I only subscribe to this forest so I do not know if this is required elseware.

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is so annoying.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any information if there is an all clear to go shooting on DNR land; Capital Forrest and is the Triangle Pit open for shooting.
Also, anyone shooting at an alternate location for the places mentioned.
Thank You

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:26 pm

It says on the Capitol Forest page of the DNR website that the ban is expected to last until September 30th but may be extended or shortened based on fire danger.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

exArmyMP wrote:
It says on the Capitol Forest page of the DNR website that the ban is expected to last until September 30th but may be extended or shortened based on fire danger.

Roger that. That's all I got too. Was wondering if anyone had an inside scoop.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz is lifting the ban on target shooting on state-managed lands on Saturday, September 15.
https://www.dnr.wa.gov/news/commissione ... aged-lands

BLM lifts fire restrictions in Eastern WA. Sept 15th.
https://www.blm.gov/press-release/blm-l ... shington-0

“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: South Puget Sound (sounds more hoity toity than Puyallup)
blahblahblah wrote:

And as far as doubting enforcement, good luck with that. DNR is headed by closet antifas. Rangers will likely be dropping from helicopters to lock you up for 10 years within 15 minutes of you firing a shot.

Reminds me of a December when several of us rode our dirt bikes way out in bfe, and stopped due to a boulder in the "road". It's been there for years, and the road kind of narrows down to a wide trail. We hiked another quarter mile to get around a bend, and then started shooting. Out of nowhere pops Ranger Rick, issuing citations for shooting across a road.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live under the medford pit and from the sounds of it people were celibrating the opening today

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went shooting today; Capitol Forest. Was a very good thing.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4