Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Plane stolen from Seatac 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
A lot of things are rated to do X, but can really handle Z. I wonder if the blue stuff splashed out of the toilet? :bigsmile: :wink05:

Yup. That 300 pound load stepladder will easily hold closer to 1000 pounds. That steel cable rated for one ton, will easily do at least 3 tons. Etc.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious about black box....

Be interesting to hear....

Does a plane that small have TCAS?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

m

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

:ROFLMAO: very much so it has the same systems as the larger jets.

TCAS? Why? What would a collision avoidance system tell us?

CVR.... Sure. But seeing that he was very talkative on the air, it's very unlikely additional details will be forthcoming.

According to Red State (copied below) it appears that he stole the plane from a gate.

"Alex Parker
Here are the interesting parts.

Russell pushed the aircraft back from the gate and pointed it using a push-back tractor alone. This normally is at least a two man job.

Russell entered the cockpit and fired up the aircraft and no one noticed.

Russell apparently took off even though ground control could not identify or gain radio contact with the aircraft:

Asked how the man got the aircraft from the taxiway to a runway, Horizon Air CEO Beck declined to speculate.

Normal procedures call for a flight crew to request clearance to push back the aircraft, and there would be communications with ground control all the way out to the runway. Then, the crew would be turned over to the tower for clearance takeoff.

This was a much more chaotic process.

Communications recorded from the Sea-Tac tower capture a controller repeatedly demanding identification from a Bombardier turboprop lining up on the runway. The unknown aircraft was on parallel runway 16c, according to Flight Global, website for the trade magazine Flight International. But it is unclear how he accessed the runway, and also how much of it he would have used, since an unloaded Q400 would need only a fraction of the full length to take off.

“Aircraft on [taxiway] Charlie lining up runway 16C, say call sign,” the controller states, according to the transcript reported by Flight Global.

The controller sought to establish communication several more times, then learned from an Alaska Airline flight crew that the Horizon aircraft was taking off, according to Flight Global.

Russell was not a trained or qualified pilot. Speculation is that he learned how to fly using a PC-based flight simulator.

All of this points to the fallacy in the security precautions being taken at US airports. It appears that it is largely security theater, that is, a sham security system designed to be seen by the maximum number of people. By calling someone’s colostomy bag a threat because it carries more than 3.4 ounces of liquid, it gives the generic traveler the illusion of a rigorous system of inspections. In reality, the real threat is on the far side of security and there appears to be little in place.

Had Russell been of a homicidal as well as suicidal mindset, he could have plowed into Seattle long before any interceptors were airborne."

Like I had posted, I'm glad he wasn't looking to do a homicide. But once again, here we have ATC DID note the errant aircraft. But did nothing physical, other than repeatedly try to establish contact. Apparently all those ramp cop cars driving around don't monitor Ground Communications? If they had.... Might one of them driven out to see what was going on? Maybe be a hero, and take out the nose gear?

Flying a plane don't take no talent once the engines are running. Landing is the hard part. Thankfully (IMHO), he didn't try to land at McChord. These planes are heavy. Pull back the throttle too soon, and he might not have made the runway........ stalled and crashing right onto 512.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are already discussions elsewhere this was a false flag operation and will usher in more federal control through the TSA, the banning of flight sims to the public, and so on. I need a better tinfoil hat and maybe tinfoil underwear.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait now... they've released the audio of what happened in the air, so why haven't they released the audio in the control tower????

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
There are already discussions elsewhere this was a false flag operation and will usher in more federal control through the TSA, the banning of flight sims to the public, and so on. I need a better tinfoil hat and maybe tinfoil underwear.

I saw that on FB tying in to the missile launch

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
dan360 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

:ROFLMAO: very much so it has the same systems as the larger jets.

TCAS? Why? What would a collision avoidance system tell us?

I was thinking of GPWS not TCAS... my bad...It's been awhile since I've dealt with big ass metal tubes in the air...

Ie pulling through the loop.... 'Sink Rate, Sink Rate, Terrain, Terrain, pull up!'...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Mixed feelings on this... Mostly impressed with the cajones though.

I do NOT think that he was crazy. He just decided to check out in a spectacular way.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Wait now... they've released the audio of what happened in the air, so why haven't they released the audio in the control tower????

Scroll down to the last audio clip between SeaTac ATC and Oregon National Guard Interceptors.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

danoh wrote:
Flying a plane don't take no talent once the engines are running. Landing is the hard part.

True that!
I used to fly with a buddy in his Cessna.
I'd taxi to the fuel dock, take off, take turns flying around the sound.........
We were ready to land at Friday Harbor and he said "OK, take her down"
I said "I don't know how to fly a plane!"
He said "Oh ya, I keep forgetting that".

Nobody ever taught me how to do that corkscrew altitude reducing landing shit.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Mixed feelings on this... Mostly impressed with the cajones though.

I do NOT think that he was crazy. He just decided to check out in a spectacular way.

I agree. While listening to the tower recording, I was thinking this guy would probably be fun to grab a beer with.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man it's a messed up world we live in. You wanna know how bad it is? Tonight I got the 7th call from somebody, wondering if I was OK. The first few where early on from asshole buddies being funny. One neighbor, semi serious, before the name, occupation of the "pilot" , etc were public. My brother, who is a bigger basketcase than me! Now an out of state aunt who was on vacation and is catching up on the latest news, first asks my brother how I'm doing and then calls me, "just checking"! . I'm Shirley, going back to glue sniffing next week.

Ironically, I just got back from Abbotsford, BC . The annual airshow featured the Blue Angels , Canadian Snowbirds, bunch of vintage and current military aircraft, and some impressive pilots.n

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the guy watched these before take off?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next