Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Mule with a pickup needed from the Deep South to North 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I need to send some long thick wood from down here (Ridgefield area, exit 11ish) up North.

Here is the list so far:
2 pieces of Doug Fir about 8' to 9' long, 2" to 4" thick. Heavy. (jukk0u)
1 or 2 pieces of Cedar about 8' long and 2" thick. Pretty light, bone dry. (delliottg)
1 piece of Black Walnut, still working through my stock for dimensions. (sportsdad60)
Undecided species and size (Pablo)

Plus something for the mule.

This is PIF material, and I'm happy to pay the Mule with a slab or plank of some thick stuff too.

The distribution of the wood needs to be figured out up there. Not only do I not know my way around up there in that Megalopolis that stretches from Olympia to the Canadian border, I don't want to learn it. I haven't a clue how you folks can live in such congestion, but my hat is off to you. :patriot:

Other details as we figure this out through PM and you guys discuss the logistics.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got the truck, any of you guys have a flat bed trailer?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a small 4x8 flatbed that is rated to 2000 pounds you can pick up on your way down. I built it from scratch so it will likely hold much more.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like I just have to get to Duvall or meet up with you on your way back from down south.

Don't know if my little truck could carry or handle 8' (probably...) or 9' (maaaaybe) pieces, depending on weight...

Is that Ash any shorter? Say, to make a six foot table?

How wide are the pieces, Mike?

Is Sinus in this? I could mule something north for him (on the way to the rifle range! :thumbsup2: )

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 6x10 dump trailer. The sides come off to make it a flat bed, material can stick out over the tongue. It's half full of crap right now but a quick trip to the dump will fix that

Also have a one ton van. It's a little more than 10' behind the seats (there's a 10' sheet of plywood in there now that has room on either end) plus the space between the seats.

They don't get much use so if you guys need either/or/both, feel free

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, wish I had a free weekend day! I would make the run just for the slab, and I wouldn't need a mule for my blanks. Well shit. Good luck fellas. Nice wood PMB!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can throw some brawn in and can be co-pilot for a trip down to pick up a van/trailer etc. and then to South America to get the slabs if you want DelliotG.

Dates I have available: Booked through Thursday. Fri-Sat-Sun open

Mon 8/20 and probably through 8/22-3 full up. I can arrange my schedule to fit after that.

DelliotG? Maybe something like...We drive your truck down to Rocket scott's and pick up the trailer (will we need the trailer too, Mike?)?

Head down to San Diego and meet up with PMB? Then back through Puyallup to drop off at Sportsdads? Maybe be able to ditch the trailer by then?

Sportsdad, Pablo, Mikey (sinus) you guys cover DelliotG for gas?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I'm figuring on about 1500 pounds, more or less.

Any car will do.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If none of the pieces are significantly longer than about 8-9 feet, I don't think we need a trailer,they can just go in the bed.

The truck's going in next Monday to get some work done on the front end, so the trip's not happening until sometime after then.

If I'm super careful, I can squeeze out 15-18 mpg unloaded. Towing a trailer (or a heavy load) I'm expecting more like 11. So, with diesel about $3.50/gallon and about 360 miles there and back-ish, figure $120-$150 in fuel costs.

Rita has first dibs on shotgun. She likes trips like this and I won't put her in the position of having to choose between comfort of the front seat versus being polite and sitting in the back with the dog (who'll almost certainly be coming with as long as it's OK with Mike to have him at his place).

I'd prefer to do this trip some time next month or even later. I'm kind of assuming nobody's in a great rush for their slabs.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will I be paid for hauling the drugs? Wait, I mean "wood!"

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]