Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Well, it finally happened...Sears, Roebuck & Co. Chapter 11 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

mcyclonegt wrote:
If it weren’t for Lamperts money sears would have been gone years ago. Wasn’t he the hedge fund manager that kept bailing them out? I too am very sad. My shop is full of craftsman tools. Sears and their goods were part of my life. Sad day for sure.

Lampert was the single reason why they failed. He knew nothing about retail and thought he knew about running a business. He stopped investing in the facilities, ruining the customer experience. Stores were dirty, lights flickering, carpet worn. He unwound the partnership agreements with many premium brands who had dedicated floor space. He pitted each different department against each other in competition to see who would spend the most money to buy into the company Mother's Day mailing. And ended up with tools being front and center. For Mother's Day. Anyone who showed inititative was fired. And they wondered why store traffic failed. And then he tried to cut his way to greatness by shuttering stores.

I'm actually really surprised that it took this long to implode.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
If it weren’t for Lamperts money sears would have been gone years ago. Wasn’t he the hedge fund manager that kept bailing them out? I too am very sad. My shop is full of craftsman tools. Sears and their goods were part of my life. Sad day for sure.

Lampert was the single reason why they failed. He knew nothing about retail and thought he knew about running a business. He stopped investing in the facilities, ruining the customer experience. Stores were dirty, lights flickering, carpet worn. He unwound the partnership agreements with many premium brands who had dedicated floor space. He pitted each different department against each other in competition to see who would spend the most money to buy into the company Mother's Day mailing. And ended up with tools being front and center. For Mother's Day. Anyone who showed inititative was fired. And they wondered why store traffic failed. And then he tried to cut his way to greatness by shuttering stores.

:yes:

Textbook example of a business failing to adapt. Absolute textbook, business school case study material.

Sears joins IBM, Kodak, Blockbuster, Radio Shack, Blackberry, etc.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sears should have owned the ecommerce game but they were completely left behind by it. Total leadership failure, unfortunately. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to hit the Ch11 button and I don't expect them to come out of it. They'll use it to ditch their real estate liabilities (their remaining landlords must have seen this coming from a long way out) and then divest themselves of anything that's left. And what's really sad is that there are probably malls out there that still count Sears among their anchor tenants. Expect some other smaller stores to start evacuating those sites in 3...2...1...

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just an example but this last Sat. we drove by Sears in Fed. Wy. and the parking lot was empty... EMPTY!
I had to look at the time just to make sure is wasn't after 6pm. It was only around 1pm on a Saturday. icon_eek

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try to remember back in the sixties when I was a kid that Sears was our number one shopping experience, if they didn't have it we would go to Montgomery Wards
It's sad that technology has overtaken America's way of life as we old farts knew it.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:28 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

AR15L wrote:
Just an example but this last Sat. we drove by Sears in Fed. Wy. and the parking lot was empty... EMPTY!
I had to look at the time just to make sure is wasn't after 6pm. It was only around 1pm on a Saturday. icon_eek

Um.. That sears closed in April of this year.... That's why it was EMPTY

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
AR15L wrote:

Um.. That sears closed in April of this year.... That's why it was EMPTY

Ugh... shows how much I get out of the house. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, flashbacks to looking at the bra pictures in the Sear's catalog in the 60's. :rofl9:

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Try to remember back in the sixties when I was a kid that Sears was our number one shopping experience, if they didn't have it we would go to Montgomery Wards
It's sad that technology Globalization/Chinese manufacture/the acceptance of slave labor produced products has overtaken America's way of life as we old farts knew it.

FIFY

Monkey Wards!

When did Sears go from having sturdy, well made (but maybe not cutting edge stylish) products to having the cheapest shoddiest shite? (Maybe around the same time it became "fashionable" to wear designer/manufacturer logos prominently displayed as part of the clothing's "style". yeesh.)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Sad to hear. I had my first "real job" out of high school at a Sears store down in the PRoK back in '92. Sears was the everything place for my family. We all went together as a family to shop, that's just the way it was. They had it all, tires for the car, shoes, pants, tools, furniture, hardware, appliances, etc. You name it.... it was there. You could drop your car off for an oil change and get your Sunday shopping done all in one location.

Now, we have Walmart and cheap Chinese crap, along with some shitty McD's at the other end of the parking lot for mega-carb "dinners".

Kind of like a piece of Americana has died.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Father bought me my first hunting rifle from sears in Lacey. Ted Williams 30-30. Think it was 1970 or thereabouts. Heck, they were made by Winchester.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Capitalism is a bitch, eh?

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

I have zero doubt that his decisions made it fail, I also believe his money kept it from happening sooner. That's all i meant by my statement. He was no savior.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:14 am

Just desserts/bad market decisions. I used to almost exclusively buy Craftsman tools and then they got tricksy and completely altered their lifetime replacement warranty. I have boycotted them ever since and like K Mart they have paid the price

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next