Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Opinions Needed: I need a new safe, timing? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO the base model Liberty and Canon safes should not even be called safes.

Most of them have doors that are thick, but only because of the air in them, they are skinned with 10 gauge or thinner sheet steel.

You want a door with solid steel, with a step

I can recommend Superior, Heritage Graffunder (Sage Safe), Fort Knox, Browning Pro-Steel, American Security....but as above, do not buy their base models

Two more pieces of advice: Double or triple the size of the safe you are thinking of getting, you will thank me later, also double or triple your budget, no matter how much it hurts, no one ever regretted buying the better quality safe.

A quality safe can last a lifetime, think of it as an investment to protect your investments that will also provide piece of mind

To save money, try putting together a group buy, we did that several years ago with NW Safe, I think we had 8 people buy safes, I don't remember how much they gave us off the price, but it was worth the effort

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... safes.html

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in the market too after my last attempt at buying a used safe from craigslist fell through....

I have been looking in the same price range and am pretty close to deciding between 2 models:

NW Safe's own line that is made for them by Dakota Safe. NWS doesn't list them on their site, but below is a link to the matching Dakota model. The NWS model has the same specs and runs $1600, black Friday might bring a discount or get you discounted delivery:
http://dakotasafe.com/dakota5939.html

The other one I'm looking at is the American Security NF Series. Sportco has the hot price on those, about $1600 for the 60x36, which is an update/correction from my post of the 60x32 yesterday:
http://www.amsecusa.com/product/nf6036e5/

You get a slightly bigger safe in the NWS model for the same price and it has a separate grab-handle, anti-pry tabs, and a light kit standard. I also prefer the mechanical lock on this one, the AmSec only comes with an e-lock.

The AmSec has a 1/4" plate door, that's the main benefit with that one.

Last edited by Chip on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing to think about is how secure is your house,location,camera system,alarm system. I wood spend more on a safe if I didn't have a alarm system and good location for example. I think something like a fat boy bolted down if you have an alarm system and a good location is ok.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
I'm in the market too after my last attempt at buying a used safe from craigslist fell through....

I have been looking in the same price range and am pretty close to deciding between 2 models:

NW Safe's own line that is made for them by Dakota Safe. NWS doesn't list them on their site, but below is a link to the matching Dakota model. The NWS model has the same specs and runs $1600, black Friday might bring a discount or get you discounted delivery:

You get a slightly bigger safe in the NWS model for the same price and it has a separate grab-handle, anti-pry tabs, and a light kit standard. I also prefer the mechanical lock on this one, the AmSec only comes with an e-lock.

I’m going with the NWS Dakota safe, this was a great recommendation, much appreciated!
Hoping to have it delivered soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$1600? Nice!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that was too small for me, so i went with the larger model... :D

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
Chip wrote:

I’m going with the NWS Dakota safe, this was a great recommendation, much appreciated!

My pleasure, I'm leaning towards the same choice. Besides the slightly wider dimensions, the interior of the NWS is broken into 3 sections instead of the AmSec's 2, which will give more options for storage. I'm still a couple weeks away from buying one, hope you're not buying their last one, LOL!

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
Mr. Q wrote:
Chip wrote:

My pleasure, I'm leaning towards the same choice. Besides the slightly wider dimensions, the interior of the NWS is broken into 3 sections instead of the AmSec's 2, which will give more options for storage. I'm still a couple weeks away from buying one, hope you're not buying their last one, LOL!

Uh....speaking of, they don’t have very many left....lol

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a good choice Mr.Q, well done. :wagwoot: All rooftop Koreans should have a good safe. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
Mr. Q wrote:
Chip wrote:

When you go down to NW Safe, have them show you the locking mechanism of the Amsec. It’s really disappointing.

I went with the NW Safe Armor safe. It’s totally awesome and a great value!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
that was too small for me, so i went with the larger model... :D

You can never go too big with a safe. +1 +2...you get old now you got 3.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
Chip wrote:
Mr. Q wrote:
Chip wrote:

When you go down to NW Safe, have them show you the locking mechanism of the Amsec. It’s really disappointing.

I went with the NW Safe Armor safe. It’s totally awesome and a great value!

Thanks, I actually did go down there after work yesterday to measure the width of the interior bays (trying to plan my ammo storage). The NWS is basically a done deal for me, and the guy confirmed that the only items that will be on their black friday list are the ones on the flyer that was already posted. So it is what it is, and it IS a good deal!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I bought my Browning Hells Canyon 65 gun safe while it was on sale at Cabelas for $2100 shipped. What I learned was that I would never buy one with an electronic lock again. While the safe itself is sturdy, the locks are total crap.

Spend the extra $$ and get a mechanical lock- no matter what the sales person tries to tell you.

Last edited by 3584ELK on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how you cannot miss all the new ads coming from NWSafe. :thumbsup2:

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This guys installed the safe I got at some big store. They told me they started to also sell safes themselves. Attached their card.

Attachment:
steelmountainsafe.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next