Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Re: RBG down - SCOTUS

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Well, I'm gonna say this.

Most of us here agree, politically, on most issues. At the very least, we can usually agree on which gubernatorial or presidential candidate we want. So when you have a fellow gun owner who disagrees, what's the goal you're trying to achieve when you're exchanging posts?

Is it a) to change his/her mind, or b) to drive him/her away, and off of WaGuns and out of the community?

Some of you seem to go for a), which I think is commendable. Good discussion is, well, good. Many of you here were just outright assholes, though, and b) seems to be your goal.

What the hell does that achieve? Did it change his mind? Did it bring you closer to, or farther away from, the possibility of changing his mind?

I don't feel like this was one of WaGuns' finer moments.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:30 pm

Alpine wrote:His editing is pointless, his posts are quoted all over...

I couldn't resist. I pm'd him that ATF monitors this forum.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Maybe he came to his senses?

Who am I kidding

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:34 pm

MadPick wrote:Well, I'm gonna say this.

Most of us here agree, politically, on most issues. At the very least, we can usually agree on which gubernatorial or presidential candidate we want. So when you have a fellow gun owner who disagrees, what's the goal you're trying to achieve when you're exchanging posts?

Is it a) to change his/her mind, or b) to drive him/her away, and off of WaGuns and out of the community?

Some of you seem to go for a), which I think is commendable. Good discussion is, well, good. Many of you here were just outright assholes, though, and b) seems to be your goal.

What the hell does that achieve? Did it change his mind? Did it bring you closer to, or farther away from, the possibility of changing his mind?

I think it depends on the person whether you choose A or B. To me he didn't come here to have friendly discourse, he came to troll.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:35 pm

MadPick wrote:Well, I'm gonna say this.

We were very nice to the guy at first. This thing didn't go down in a time vacuum. Nice to him - asshole back. Condescension from him. Mocking from him.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:40 pm

I'm not sure, this TDS seems pretty ingrained in a lot of people, I mean almost to the point of delusional insanity

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:54 pm

He posted a lot of falsehoods. In stead of mocking him many of us posted proof that was contrary to what he was saying or had intelligent questions in response (that he wouldn't answer). That made no impact, we were still a bunch of yokels

It quickly became clear that he was just here to troll and illicit a response

Want me to go talk to him?

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:12 pm

RocketScott wrote:He posted a lot of falsehoods. In stead of mocking him many of us posted proof that was contrary to what he was saying or had intelligent questions in response (that he wouldn't answer). That made no impact, we were still a bunch of yokels

Yes, I agree, there was a lot of good discussion as well. I'm not arguing that; in fact, some of you went above and beyond to bring the facts and data, and that is awesome.

RocketScott wrote:It quickly became clear that he was just here to troll and illicit a response

Well, I don't like the word "troll" much, I think it means different things to different people. Are we trolling when we say, "Fuck Hillary, I hope COVID gets her" or something similar? If so, many of us are trolls. It's easy to use it as an easy slur against someone on the other side, I do know that.

RocketScott wrote:Want me to go talk to him?

No, I don't think we need anyone to go talk to him. He's not banned, he's probably reading all of these posts. Maybe he really did "take his ball and go home." Or maybe he's just starting over? Who knows.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:15 pm

He came on here Day 1 with an attitude that we were all ignorant beyond belief, and he was grudgingly required to educate us via insults and snarky comments. I was sick of his shit in short order. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Fuck him.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:26 pm

MadPick wrote:
RocketScott wrote:He posted a lot of falsehoods. In stead of mocking him many of us posted proof that was contrary to what he was saying or had intelligent questions in response (that he wouldn't answer). That made no impact, we were still a bunch of yokels

Yes, I agree, there was a lot of good discussion as well. I'm not arguing that; in fact, some of you went above and beyond to bring the facts and data, and that is awesome.

RocketScott wrote:It quickly became clear that he was just here to troll and illicit a response

Well, I don't like the word "troll" much, I think it means different things to different people. Are we trolling when we say, "Fuck Hillary, I hope COVID gets her" or something similar? If so, many of us are trolls. It's easy to use it as an easy slur against someone on the other side, I do know that.

RocketScott wrote:Want me to go talk to him?

No, I don't think we need anyone to go talk to him. He's not banned, he's probably reading all of these posts. Maybe he really did "take his ball and go home." Or maybe he's just starting over? Who knows.

So what is your definition of a troll then?

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:28 pm

Arisaka wrote:He came on here Day 1 with an attitude that we were all ignorant beyond belief, and he was grudgingly required to educate us via insults and snarky comments. I was sick of his shit in short order. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Fuck him.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

As far as "changing his mind" or "running him off" goes, virtually no one has ever changed someone's mind via this type of medium so I totally disagree with your first premise.... :bigsmile:

To anyone seeing clearly, it was obvious that he came here to get people wound up.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:31 pm

spaghetti monster wrote:So what is your definition of a troll then?

My definition? Someone who's just here to stir shit and get people riled up. That is their SOLE purpose.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:33 pm

MadPick wrote:

My definition? Someone who's just here to stir shit and get people riled up. That is their SOLE purpose.

And you disagree that was what derrickito was doing?

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:36 pm

MadPick wrote:

For the most part 'Troll' is not-so-narrowly defined:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

So no, we're not trolling when we post about Hillary. We have similar points of view here so a statement like that is clearly not meant to agitate. It might be more extreme than others here but the intent isn't to inflame discussion or make it digress

Now, if one of us walked into the middle of a BLM protest, or DNC convention and said the same thing, that would be a troll move. You have to know your audience

Had D-ito wanted to engage and have a discourse about his views it wouldn't have been trolling. I would have honestly been interested in conversing about our different views. But he didn't want to engage, he just wanted to make snide comments and not answer questions. We've got several members here that have divergent viewpoints and I don't consider them trolls at all. There's back and forth with supporting links every now and again

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:41 pm

spaghetti monster wrote:
MadPick wrote:

And you disagree that was what derrickito was doing?

I know you didn't ask me.

But in my opinion, when he started, I think that was what he was doing.

I think he quickly changed, though.

Then... He was mercilessly insulted. Yes, I know it was in retaliation. But was it necessary? And what do you expect when you just continue to insult someone? Even if they "started it"?

No one deserves a chance unless they start out on good footing, and stay there?
Post a reply