Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Zanotti Safes 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So there’s a deal I have, I jack around with stuff and finally get frustrated and ask for help.....

Then I try again, because I’m in a hurry and

WHAM it works,,,,,,

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The safe is in!

The safe is nice now that its in. I put it together with a little assistance from the Mrs and my 13-year old son. that included moving it from the garage to the basement. Used.a hand truck, some strapping, and a couple of 2x4s of varying lengths that I used for leverage when lifting the door into place.

Difficulties I had - see the earlier photo. I shot the spot with some lube and just kept wiggling the wall and it finally popped. then I had the same problem on the top in the opposite corner. Same thing. Shot it with lube and then kept wiggling it and it finally popped. No big problems other than that.

Things I like: It fits in the space I have and I was able to install it myself. It seems well made and will do the task.

Communications - they called and verified the entire order including things like door swing and what combo I wanted. They also called and warned me that it would be ready about 6 weeks early (they had a cancellation). then called to ship just as I was leaving the town so they held it until I returned. I will say that R&L is a PITA. Took them longer to ship it from Tacoma to my house than it did from IA to Tacoma. Then they would only schedule between 3-6 daily AND I HAD TO BE ON SITE THE WHOLE TIME. Then the driver called me on the delivery day about 11:30 and said - hey I can be there in 20 minutes, you available? He was cool as hell. Basically, said the office doesn’t have a clue about scheduling and he had to deliver to me before he could start doing pick ups.

Things I don’t like:

No power kit available - I retrofit an extension cord. I may upgrade that to a power strip at some point.

No light kit available - I had an LED light strip a put into it. It provides sufficient light, but is kind of messy.

No door storage. They use pistol pockets. Every pistol pocket I’ve ever purchased failed. Now that I have the safe and can measure, I’ll look around at some of the aftermarket options.

No common (one-stop) place for directions. - They have a stack of videos online, including one that has a gorilla building one with absolutely no stress. `The guy picked up the 175 pound door like it was toothpick. But none of the videos or directions tell the whole story. In place, they tell you “use a hammer, not a rubber mallet.” But in another, they show that you need to mallets. I watched all the videos - and read the instructions, which was the only place that said to lube all the pins before using. They have a “tricks” video. But it doesn’t show any common problems like the one I had.

Shipping.- Shipping was a PITA. They provide a weight and a link to R&L shipping so you can calculate your rate. But they don’t give you the discount code. Shipping without a code costs more than the safe (My safe was $2300 - shipping was $2400). Via e-mail they told me $300 based on a safe that weighed 500 pounds. I reran their code and got $340 for a 600 pound safe. Shipping wieight on my safe was 825 pounds - so on arrival I got hit with a bill for $440. they just need to do a better job of disclosing this.

If you have questions, let me know.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see shit - tiny pictures.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Starting a Go Fund Me to buy New Daddy some pixels.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After paying for the safe, I need all the help I can get

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sucks about the shipping. Seems like something they should take care of in the interest of making the sale

Not sure what the inside of your door is like but I replaced mine with a sheet of densglas covered in velcro. Now I can stick stuff wherever. I got a roll of velcro one wrap to stick pouches on

The light kit that came with my safe sucked. It was two 2' long strips. I ordered something similar to this off fleabay:https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-RGB-5050-Waterproof-LED-Strip-light-SMD-44-Key-Remote-12V-US-Power-Full-Kit/302383732527?epid=691533819&hash=item466779972f:g:67wAAOSwpINZaTDj:rk:2:pf:0

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
That sucks about the shipping. Seems like something they should take care of in the interest of making the sale

Not sure what the inside of your door is like but I replaced mine with a sheet of densglas covered in velcro. Now I can stick stuff wherever. I got a roll of velcro one wrap to stick pouches on

The light kit that came with my safe sucked. It was two 2' long strips. I ordered something similar to this off fleabay:https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-RGB-5050-Waterproof-LED-Strip-light-SMD-44-Key-Remote-12V-US-Power-Full-Kit/302383732527?epid=691533819&hash=item466779972f:g:67wAAOSwpINZaTDj:rk:2:pf:0

That light kit is basically what I have - without color or remote.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the shipping the problem is that they report the weight of the safe as being 600 pounds. I added carpet, a dehumidifier, and rifle rods, which all together made up less than 10 pounds. The pallet weighs less than 50 and while there is a lot of cardboard, it can’t weight 25 pounds in total.

IMO, they just need to report on the page where you calculate shipping something like - “add x pounds to your safe weight for shipping.”

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve finally got everything in the safe (long story, but I was waiting on a smaller fire safe to put inside it and finally gave up.).

Using rifle rods I had a problem because of the varying rifle sizes. I was going to buy a small fire safe to put inside as a step, but after recieving two that were damaged, I gave up. Instead I placed some loaded ammo cans inside and cut a piece of plywood to fit on top, and stapled some carpet to it. I stacked the shorter rifles (like ARs) on this step and then my bolt actions off the step.

I currently have 24 rifles in the safe with room for several more. This is a 30 gun safe and using the rifle rods, there appears to be room for 30 rifles (and maybe 1 or 2 more). Several of rifles have scopes on them as well.

My big mistake was not ordering enough rifle rods. Zanotti sells them for $1.25 and I bought 25. Couple of my heavier rifles need two, so I’m short. On-line the best price I can find is about $3 each. However, I found a couple videos about making them with brass/steel rods, so I may try to make a couple to eliminate the need to use two on some rifles.

I’d post a photo, but I never recieved the pixel money, so I can’t afford it.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lmgur......free pixel $$$

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Free, super easy to use: https://postimages.org/

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the tiny pictures.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to be having trouble with Imgur and either need a mod to bail me out or the guys offer me pixel money. Here, I used the post images link above, so lets see if this computer challenged old man can figure it out.

For the record, I currently have 6 scoped rifles with another waiting on me to have time to mount the scope.....

Something else I hadn’t mentioned. When I was planning to put the safe in as a shelf, I pulled the bottom panel out and reinforced the floor with 2x4s to support the weight. the safe has a tilted flooring set up with a level entry. While the board they provided should have to problem supporting the weight of rifles, I wanted to ensure it would support the weight of the safe, which was 71 pounds.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks good!

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. When I get time, I'll add another light kit to the front - and I might need to rearrange the ammo cans to make a larger platform for the shorter rifles. I ordered some 18 in brass rods off of Amazon and next weekend, I'll cutt a 1 or 3/4 inch dowel rod into some disks and make my own rifle rods for the heavier rifles.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next