Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Han Solo movie - Spoilers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spoilers

Finally saw it last night, as it's free on Netflix. I'd grade it as an above average movie, but a fail for the Star Wars universe and Han Solo.

I grew up on Star Wars, and find Episode IV and V some of the best films ever made and among the very best back-to-back sequels ever made of any movie genre. It offers deep and interest themes, very ambitious creativity, and bold characters. Harrison Ford played 3 of my favorite all time characters (Solo, Rick Deckard, and Indiana Jones). Solo, I think, is a really great on-screen reluctant hero with a lot of opportunity to delve into his character psychology.

I was disappointed by the prequels. Find them hard to watch they are so bad. And of the newer releases, I've only watched Roque One, which I found was a entertaining film but not very good for Star Wars expectations.

I was reluctant to watch Solo, but saw it and figured I'd give it a go. In short, I found the story really poorly written and uninteresting. I found the casting to be average, but the actor picked for Solo did not portray Solo very well and he failed at he part IMO. The other actors were okay. Chewbacca was great, but I didn't care for their "meeting" story.

I found far too much attempted to be compressed in one story. The writers tried to explain far too much "legend" of Han Solo while exploring very little new territory for his character. Simply, in one story and event, they explained:
* Meeting Chewbacca and giving him a nickname
* Meeting Lando
* Winning the Falcon in a card game
* Modifications to the Falcon
* How he got to be a great flier
* How/where he got his blaster
* The "kessel run" in 12 parsecs (which didn't need explaining, and was a huge disappointment)
* His going to Tattoineen
And a bunch of other stuff far too compressed to be told well...

I didn't care for the goofy parts, pretty much the first 15 minutes, and almost turned it off. The first chase scene is a clone of any movie chase scene complete a "police chase" and spinouts and - literally - dice on a rear view mirror.

I did not care for the betrayals at the end, which were out of character for both betrayers, and made no sense. Both betrayers could have killed their nemesis and washed their hands of him. But they instead betrayed Solo. Made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I saw only a hint of the concerns of "social justice warrior" that had been complained of. I actually wasn't bothered too much by the L3 character, although it was of some minor nuisance. I probably would have written that out, however it did have some importance in the plot points.

I most-enjoyed the Chewbacca and other wookies, and think that could have been a larger part of the story.

Overall, if you want an interesting and mindless fun action scifi film, it's above average. If you really love the originals, you're going to be disappointed in the back story on Han. The actor fails to deliver and the story tries to do too much in some ways and not enough in other ways.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
* Meeting Chewbacca and giving him a nickname
* Meeting Lando
* Winning the Falcon in a card game
* Modifications to the Falcon

:meme:

Yes please!

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I liked it. I take stuff like this lightly and just enjoy. Your review is good though and I agree.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been putting it off...

The last couple Star Wars universe films were...OK...as movies.... but didn't seem to really be Star Wars, if that makes sense? That, and glaring plot holes...ugh....

It seems like your review is bringing up similar issues.....

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. Added zero, everything seemed super forced, added characters we don't really care about.

Every movie since Empire Strikes Back reads like a money grab. Story takes a back seat to mushy broad appeal, toy sales, etc. There was zero suspense in the prequels because of the poor acting and fact that we knew the end game...Anakin becomes Darth Vader and Obi-Wan runs off to Tattooine. The Force Awakens was the same plot as A New Hope because...why take risks?

We keep watching because we're all hoping for that crazy twist...y'know, like, "Luke...I am your father." Here we are nearly 40 years later and we're still waiting...I don't think we're going to get anything new and interesting from the Star Wars franchise, sadly. They'll make 3-4 more and put it to bed for 15 years.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny how this movie comes out the same time Disney raises their gate prices to $100.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:17 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

leadcounsel wrote:
Chewbacca was great

Did Chewy make a better Hairy Rebel Co-Pilot than a FLOTUS?

Does Chewy still have awesome arms?

:bigsmile:

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found the scenes with Chewy to be the best, really reflecting on it. Showed the wookie being intelligent, mechanically inclined, sensitive, and extremely strong. In one scene he's throwing people around like rag dolls and in another scene he literally (and comically) rips the two arms off an opponent (a comical homage to SW IV and ripping arms off). Chewy was the highlight of the film IMO.

The largest weakness, IMO, is the actor chosen to play Solo. I just never even felt that he was Han Solo. He lacked any of the same mannerisms, speech habits, or character.

If you're gonna have a movie about a truly ICONIC character's life, you must nail the actor to play the part. Hard to imagine a wide casting call couldn't surface a better Han Solo.

He didn't have the facial expressions, arrogance, sarcasm, sterness, tenderness, etc. Harrison Ford is a big act to follow, but this actor didn't even come close.

Not once was I convinced in any regard that this is a young Han Solo. For me, that cost the film probably 2 letter grades right off the top.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was crap.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]