Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 when to trash old car and what to do wit it ? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/pts/ ... 78328.html

Should be the same tranny as yours. Assuming yours is an auto.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most German cars become money pits after about 10 years. List it on Craigslist as a mechanic special for 1000 bucks. Take the best offer. Someone out there needs parts off it and will buy it to part out what’s left. Move on and don’t buy another German car. I say this as a VW owner and a mechanic. At least mine is a TDI.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cars ARE money pits.

You're either losing on depreciation. Losing on repairs. Or losing on paying a loan + depreciation + repairs.

I think there is some wisdom in small investments on repairs to keep a known quantity "good car" going.

The downward depreciation from $4000 is not far. And the value of a nice old BMW is quite high, even if not an economic value.

If you were to buy a "new" $40,000 BMW you'd lose 20% in the first year.

I'd just call around to get quotes, replace the whole transmission if it makes sense, if you like the car otherwise.

The thing is with cars, tomorrow it could be a total loss....

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some are more of a money pit that others though. Unless it’s a M3 it is never going to be worth anything. If it was a car that was known to be reliable and long lasting, it would make sense to fix it. If it was a Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry, I would say fix it. It’s not. Only people that know how to work on cars should drive old cars that are expensive to fix. Or if it is very sentimental.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Talktoomuch wrote:
so my old 2002 BMW 330i has a transmission issue. shop i brought it to says $2500 to 3k for a new trans. according to edmunds it worth 1500 private party and 2700 dealer . i guess these are pricing with a good trans . car has 190k

i like the car and its in ok condition. but i am not sure that throwing money at it would be wise seeing its current value. So whats the smart play on this? trash it and buy a new one? if i do get rid of it , what would be the best way to do so? sell it as a vehicle with mechanical issues? donate it?

X Drive? Auto? Manual?

German cars need maintenance but will last a long time when cared for. A very long time. People who say they are junk and expensive to repair have a disconnect that a Toyota or Honda being more tolerant of neglect does not equal better. A broken Toyota is expensive to fix too, and a properly maintained 300,000 mile E46 is way more fun than a Camry will ever be.

Some of the E46 have a GM automatic transmission. Some have a ZF. Neither one is unobtainable in good used condition nor super costly to rebuild. R&R on a rwd BMW is pretty cake.

If you have a X Drive then you’re in for a headache. Either way I vote to keep it and fix it and run it into the ground. Throwing money at another depreciating asset is American Flaw #2 right behind celebrity worship. Your car is never going to be worthless, just worth slightly less. And still a blast to drive.

If not, CL to someone looking for a 24 Hours of Lemons ride. Or donate if you need a write off.

We've had a few BMWS, love them. Expensive to fix, yes.
But unless the bank owns it, $3k to get it running and have it working again is a whole helluva lot better than owning $30k on a cheap new car.
Wife sold her X3 a month ago because she wanted a brand new car, not used but brand new. I wanted the new X4, but she shit herself when the price rolled out over $60k. She's a dozen years from retirement, I'm 9 away, do she bought a 2019 fully decked out Sportage AWD. Actually a pretty damned nice car, but also definitely NOT a BMW with all the nice fit and finish. Her plans are to buy the X4 in 9 years so when we are both retired it'll still be nice and new with low miles. Haven't crushed her soul saying I'm not working until I'm 67 just to pay for her car yet.....
I have a feeling after being in the Sportage for a year, she'll want a BMW again, real soon.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

das_napeth wrote:
Bring it to machias along with tannerite?

You beat me to it oh, I was going to say when in doubt Tannerite it. LOL

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 am

1) Call a wrecker and see what they will give you

2) Have a stupid neighbor smash into it like one did to my cute little restored Chevy commute car last week, ready to go to State Patrol for inspection :blackcloud1:

3) Offer it on Craigslist as is, and if it doesn't sell, part it out on CL

4) Turn it into a planter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a big fan of the european cars once warranty is up. Id sell it to anyone with a dream and a couple bucks and laugh all the way to the bank or new car lot

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you like it, fix it and keep it

If you don't, get rid of it as economically as possible

I drive a truck that's totaled every time it needs something fixed. The front shocks and a tie rod end went out this week (ok, they've been going out for awhile. I just got to them this week. don't judge). I took the parts back to auto zone and got new ones under warranty. First time on the shocks, third time for the tie rod end. Only cost me the time to swap them out

I could buy a new truck, sure. The gas savings can't make up what I have invested in the old one. Just about everything has a lifetime warranty and if something happens I know exactly what the problem is

These are 'long term' evaluations for something that most people consider 'short term'. I'll be buried in my truck

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Sam Walton had a ‘79 Ford truck that he planned on keeping forever. He sorta did—he passed away in 1992 and the truck is still at the Wal-Mart Museum in Bentonville, AR. Same condition as when he last drove it dents and all.

Ive had a 79 ford truck for 20 years. Lately when its freezing at night, I park the bucket for the 160excavator on the fords roof. Nothing bothers me more than a foot of frozen sawdust stuck to the bucket.

The ol ford is pretty reliable, but its pretty short now! :ROFLMAO:

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine’s an ‘87 that I bought in ‘97 with 72k on it. It’s got a few over 325k right now. Original engine and transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

99 Benz turbo diesel owner here. 285,000 miles, and counting.

Bought for 7 grand all in back in 2009 with 142,000 miles on it.

I have spent another 7 grand on it for repairs and maintenance combined for 10 years and 143,000 miles of driving.

My total transportation cost less fuel and insurance - is about $115.00 a month.

I use it like a pick up truck - if I can fit it into the car, then that is the recommended cargo capacity.

I know I run well over a ton of gear for show hauling.

It gets 25 mpg at 70 loaded or unloaded.

Moral of the story for you ?

Put a used tranny into your car for cheap, and keep running it if you like it, and if the recent maintenance/ repairs done on the car add up - no sense giving all those new parts away, or the miles you will get out of them.

Right now, the car stands you nothing, and no payments on a loan on a newer car that is depreciating like a submarine doing a crash dive.

Then, spend all the savings from not buying a newer car on guns and ammo !

Highly recommended.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next