Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fine. Laugh, but help me? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I need recommendations for knee pads. No, I am not kidding. There are like six zillion choices on Amazon alone and I really don't know what to buy.

This relates to CERT work and the crap pair of knee pads the City gave me about a year ago hurt like (swear words), plus the left one, the plastic has a crack in it. I need something that is not nonslip or nonskid or whatever because a lot of our final drills are run indoors on either carpeted or concrete floored surfaces and I can't have the kneepads catching or slowing me up.

My right knee is still pretty messed up s/p me fracturing the distal portion of my femur and destroying the cartilage in that knee in October, so something that is if not comfortable at least not actively painful would be awesome. We're not running another final drill until April, so something that can be ordered online is fine.

Me: 6', 185 lbs., so whatever size would fit a guy that size, would fit me (some seem to come in sizes).

Let the jokes begin.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
So I need recommendations for knee pads. No, I am not kidding. There are like six zillion choices on Amazon alone and I really don't know what to buy.

This relates to CERT work and the crap pair of knee pads the City gave me about a year ago hurt like (swear words), plus the left one, the plastic has a crack in it. I need something that is not nonslip or nonskid or whatever because a lot of our final drills are run indoors on either carpeted or concrete floored surfaces and I can't have the kneepads catching or slowing me up.

My right knee is still pretty messed up s/p me fracturing the distal portion of my femur and destroying the cartilage in that knee in October, so something that is if not comfortable at least not actively painful would be awesome. We're not running another final drill until April, so something that can be ordered online is fine.

Me: 6', 185 lbs., so whatever size would fit a guy that size, would fit me (some seem to come in sizes).

Let the jokes begin.

Try Work n More and see if they have different kinds. Try them all on.
What you're asking is like: what is the best tennis shoe for me?

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:59 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Leatherhead knee pads. Take it from someone who makes a living on his knees (cue the audience laugh). There is nothing better.

https://www.amazon.com/Troxell-USA-Supe ... =hydsma-20

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$3 at harbor freight.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Old Growth wrote:
$3 at harbor freight.

No. No!!! That’s a bad Old Growth. Naughty! No!

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one thing I know about Harbour Freight is that their products are great--for single use.

There's a new OEM community relations director and she's the one changing up the drills--instructor/evaluators didn't actually have to go in with students unless there was reason to believe that the student would freak out. Which happens. So most of the time I'll still be outside evaluating triage and command, and facilitating communications between fire personnel and the civilian students, but some of the time I'll be inside a structure following a student pair.

Either way I need good kneepads. I'll go check out that workwear site.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recommend these:
https://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-Knee-P ... B01MTW6ZMN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

6' tall? I dated women back in the day that were that tall. I called them "Amazon women" before there was an Amazon online. :D

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
6' tall? I dated women back in the day that were that tall. I called them "Amazon women" before there was an Amazon online. :D

Yah, us tall girls love being referred to as "Amazon women"...

Mike #11, I just bought your recommendation. Hoping that the leather doesn't tear on concrete or asphalt. I forgot to mention the asphalt part, because I usually only teach/evaluate disaster medical. Sometimes someone doesn't show up, though, and I end up on my knees on asphalt teaching students how to use cribbing and/or leverage to lift an object off of a victim.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:59 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

glockgirl wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:

Yah, us tall girls love being referred to as "Amazon women"...

Mike #11, I just bought your recommendation. Hoping that the leather doesn't tear on concrete or asphalt. I forgot to mention the asphalt part, because I usually only teach/evaluate disaster medical. Sometimes someone doesn't show up, though, and I end up on my knees on asphalt teaching students how to use cribbing and/or leverage to lift an object off of a victim.

Those were pads last me a year with daily use snagging on nails and broken screws protruding from subfloors with daily use. They’ll take care of you. The more you use them the more they will contour to your knees. I recommend marking a sharpie L/R on them so you always wear them on the correct knee. Wear them gardening to get some time on them. The longer you own them the more you’ll love them.

My cousin’s husband has a pair that he uses infrequently and refers to them as his “Cadillacs.” They are truly the Cadillac of kneepads.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with old growth on this one. Kinda.

Cheapest pair at lowes.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AWP-Non-Marrin ... ds/3825885

I bought a pair of these when I really needed knee pads, and simply couldn't afford better.

Since then, I have bought "better". Several times. When it counts, though, I always find myself looking for these and using them, instead.

They work great. If I don't feel the floor, or gravel, you won't either. Very light. They don't get in the way. Or hinder you. The strap seems like it could be better, but I've never lost one.

Oh, and they make them in pink, too.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bracken-Creek- ... s/50193575

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a pair from dead on that I’ve never worn. They seem nice

Yours if you want them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Leatherhead knee pads. Take it from someone who makes a living on his knees (cue the audience laugh). There is nothing better.

https://www.amazon.com/Troxell-USA-Supe ... =hydsma-20

I did flooring one summer many years ago in the heat of summer...

Every guy there knew their shit (but me!)...

If you wanna protect your knees, listen to a flooring guy.

No joke.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
Oh, and they make them in pink, too.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bracken-Creek- ... s/50193575

Just bought two pair--for under $5 a pair (before tax) how wrong can I go? Thanks. Especially for knowing that I love myself some pink. It's also kind of practical during a training or a drill--I have a pink paracord breast cancer ribbon on my CERT go bag, which makes it stand out in a pile of nearly identical CERT go bags.

So now I have the "Cadillac" of kneepads and the...what, "Yugo" of kneepads? en route. Thanks, guys.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kalopsia wrote:
Recommend these:
https://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-Knee-P ... B01MTW6ZMN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Second this recommendation. I've worn the shit out of a pair of them.

Divided we fall.

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next