Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Magazine recommendations? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, the other kind. I currently subscribe to Guns & Ammo and used to have a subscription to American Handgunner, both of which are okay reading, but I was in a Barnes & Noble the other day and noticed a couple of others, including one called Concealed Carry.

I let my NRA membership lapse after the whole Russian debacle and their obvious mishandling of funds, so no American Sportsman for me. Doesn't matter, it seemed to be focussed a lot of the time on hunting, which is not my thing. Anyway. What do you subscribe to and/or recommend?

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None.

I watch YT videos and read forums. You generally get honest opinions and reviews, and can participate. They are free and don't create junk mail waste.

Most gun mags are garbage and advertisements. The gun reviews are paid for propaganda and rarely honest.

Long ago, I subscribed to "Gun Tests." I think it was like $20 per year. A waste of money when all that is free and easily available online on YT videos and forums. And their tests were examples of 1, so not even relevant.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

leadcounsel wrote:
None.
Most gun mags are garbage and advertisements.

Sadly, this is my conclusion as well. I know this doesn't answer gg's question, but hopefully someone has some recommendations.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you’re a KC resident and have a free KC Library card then you can download digital versions of a couple for free. There’s actually quite a few free magazines in all kinds of genres. There’s an app you use on your phone, don’t remember what it’s called off top of head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that the accumulation of pulp is passe`, cluttering and not very ecologically friendly, I think there is some merit to the magazines.

Where else are you going to find information and nice photos of the latest gear and guns all in one place? (outside of trade shows like "Shot" etc?)

I like to get my NRA subscription on-line so I don't have piles of past issues to deal with (although I feel for the print shops who lose out on that business)

There are also other outlets, on-line, which showcase new gear and discuss a variety of gun related topics in "news letters":

The Firearms Blog
On Target Magazine
Gunbroker
Outdoor Unlimited
Kvar Corp
American Shooting Journal
Ammoland
GAT Daily
and more.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I agree that the accumulation of pulp is passe`, cluttering and not very ecologically friendly, I think there is some merit to the magazines.

Where else are you going to find information and nice photos of the latest gear and guns all in one place? (outside of trade shows like "Shot" etc?)

Um. Gun makers aren't exactly keeping their new products a secret.... go to their website and see pictures. Or, again, there's dozens of reviewers of guns and gear online at 360, Youtube, etc. And forums are alight with new guns and gear talk.

And I'm also pretty much of the mindset of being done with Beta Testing new guns and gear. I generally give products about 5 years on the market before buying anyway so the bugs are usually worked out. In the last decade every gun maker has has recalls including Sig, Glock, HK, Taurus, Ruger, Winchester, FN, Honor Guard, and others. I don't fall for marketing hype any more and pretty much ignore it. Show me a gun with a long-term track record, and I'll be interested. Gun mags rarely show older guns off b/c they are wanting to sell the latest model.

When you buy gun magazines (or car mags, etc.) you are literally just buying a bunch of advertising.

Take the subscription money and donate it to Waguns, or SAF, or GOA, or other worthy causes. And keep the magazines out of print and out of landfills.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

Um. Gun makers aren't exactly keeping their new products a secret.... go to their website and see pictures. Or, again, there's dozens of reviewers of guns and gear online at 360, Youtube, etc. And forums are alight with new guns and gear talk. As I said: all in one place. Or you can go spend an afternoon trying to think of all the possible gun manufacturers who might be putting out new guns and perhaps - probably - miss a LOT; especially new manufacturers.

And I'm also pretty much of the mindset of being done with Beta Testing new guns and gear. I generally give products about 5 years on the market before buying anyway so the bugs are usually worked out. In the last decade every gun maker has has recalls including Sig, Glock, HK, Taurus, Ruger, Winchester, FN, Honor Guard, and others. I don't fall for marketing hype any more and pretty much ignore it. Show me a gun with a long-term track record, and I'll be interested. Gun mags rarely show older guns off b/c they are wanting to sell the latest model.
Not a valid point. With that mindset, we'd all be shooting bows or blowguns. Innovation is sometimes painful, but often is very valuable. How long ago were AR's considered the ugly stepchild?
Take the subscription money and donate it to Waguns, or SAF, or GOA, or other worthy causes. And keep the magazines out of print and out of landfills.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:39 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

The only magazine I regularly read all the way through is Motor Trend. Have been reading it since I was a kid.
But I do enjoy the occasional issue of Ballistic or Recoil. Both are very polished and have some decent variety in them. Maybe a little light on substantial content, but are fun to read while I’m traveling or in-between good books.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:40 pm

The only one i still get is the NRA one. Which if i wasnt a life member I wouldnt recommend. Half of it is just "fear articles" (political), a quarter is just outdated stuff (reviews of guns that have been out for 6 months), then a quarter is actually interesting stuff. I mostly like the history articles.

I still enjoy getting magazines and catalogs though. Family handyman is one i enjoy...mostly skim through but theres some interesting ideas that come from it. Then I get two skiing related ones. Catalog wise the SummitRacing, Speedway Motorsports, and KBC Tools are ones i keep around. Nice to just go to a catalog to find a part number rather than trying just a search or going through the "hoses- universal -fitting -ect" menus

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Save your money. Online is fine, and sift through the bias yourself.

Since you are not an NRA member I hope you donate to GOA.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Save your money. Online is fine, and sift through the bias yourself.

Since you are not an NRA member I hope you donate to GOA.

Yup. I do donate to GOA on the regular.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Well I am a hunter and in Washington so I went with Washington & Oregon Game & Fish.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
The only magazine I regularly read all the way through is Motor Trend. Have been reading it since I was a kid.
But I do enjoy the occasional issue of Ballistic or Recoil. Both are very polished and have some decent variety in them. Maybe a little light on substantial content, but are fun to read while I’m traveling or in-between good books.

Wait, you don't subscribe to Tooth Time Magazine?!? icon_eek

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Any magazines I get now are coasters. But, since you have inquisitive boys, Popular Mechanics might be worth it. I pick it up aboot once a year. I find it is a good read.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Popular science
Popular mechanics
Going to get my boy national geographic kids

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next