Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

If a deal has an expiration date, please include that in your thread title!

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ammo was just 18 cpr in very recent memory 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How painful is this? Missed it by a year and 5 months. :bigsmile:

A few years prior to that post, it was 13cpr for 9mm and I remember every time it went up, we’d refused to give in and proclaimed the prices would eventually come back down. It’s now averaging +50cpr and still selling like hot cakes. (Target Sports USA finally has available 9mm starting at 50cpr for blazer brass)

Many new gun owners (good) means demand will always be high coupled with increases in raw material costs, greedy supply chain from manufacturers to distributors to retailers, and gun control fanatics all add up to never ever seeing the cpr coming back down ever again. icon_eek

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect it will settle down to around the high $200's like it did last time. Prices of raw materials is up though so I doubt the base cost will allow it to come down much further. Going to take ammo sitting for a while for more price drops though we are starting to see Freedom Munitions and others getting new 9mm down around 40 cents a round. that will keep putting pressure on the others to drop a bit further.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonder when we'll see Black Friday packs at Palmetto again. Last time, I bought bulk 9mm and .223. Can't recall what the .223 ended up being, but the 9mm was $189/1000, and that was before the $50 rebate.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pvanderzee wrote:
Wonder when we'll see Black Friday packs at Palmetto again. Last time, I bought bulk 9mm and .223. Can't recall what the .223 ended up being, but the 9mm was $189/1000, and that was before the $50 rebate.

Unfortunately probably not until supply exceeds demand again. Those 2018 black packs... :bow:

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another nice to see was this past week at my local Sportsman was the weekly ammo shipment was not completely sold out within the first 2 hours, though 9mm ball, 22, etc was all gone. Defensive ammo still hangs around because the CPR is still ridiculously high. They still had 45 ball, but that was because the price creep started setting in at Sportsman. Additionally the 223/556 bulk buckets were stacked pretty high in this environment, all thanks to the +$1 per round cost.

Let em sit unsold!!

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I contend that much of the price inflation we saw over the past year was driven by greed, not by an organic intersection of supply and demand. Stores started charging what they thought they could get away with (some have admitted as much), and because everyone was in such a panic between COVID, civil unrest, and election uncertainty, they paid it. For the big manufacturers, component costs didn't go up anywhere near as much as the market prices for loaded ammo did, and yet those manufacturers recognized an opportunity to cut out the middle men and began selling directly to consumers through their websites, and at full retail pricing. Everyone was cashing in on the crazy, and it paid off for many. But notice how quickly the price is falling right now - and by how much - compared to just 3 weeks ago? That doesn't happen unless there was a lot of extra mark-up being tacked on that is now being slashed in an effort to maintain sales/cash flow and hold onto market share. Prices don't naturally correct that quickly on stuff like this. The major profit-taking is coming to an end...that is, until the Senate confirms Chipman to head the AFT, and the all-out war on gun owners heats up again. If more intense federal abuse of the 2A remains a frequently-discussed topic in the 24/7 news cycle, prices won't drop near as low as we'd all like them to. If last year taught us anything, it's that fear sells.

Bottom line, if you've been waiting for a year to jump back in and buy ammo and are being tempted by the recent price dips, wait a little longer and see how much lower the prices go. But the minute it looks like the next big thing is about to pop off, take out a second mortgage on your house and buy all the 9mm and 5.56 you can find. :bigsmile:

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

agree with you liberty..... i committed to buying a case of 9mm subs for $600 10 days ago because that's all i could find. haven't even managed to pick it up yet and already am seeing a 25% reduction in prices from retailers online with ammo in stock. bought another 500rds to even out my CPR but it is gonna be hard to hand over an extra $160 for no reason other than my impatience.... definitely need .556 still though....

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:36 am

IRackNBack wrote:
agree with you liberty..... i committed to buying a case of 9mm subs for $600 10 days ago because that's all i could find. haven't even managed to pick it up yet and already am seeing a 25% reduction in prices from retailers online with ammo in stock. bought another 500rds to even out my CPR but it is gonna be hard to hand over an extra $160 for no reason other than my impatience.... definitely need .556 still though....

Gotta sympathize with you but as prices fall, buy the cheapest of course and mark what you paid for it. Now without assuming your purpose for the ammo whether you have it for supply or whatnot you'll know how expensive that was to get. Bitter pill to swallow I'm sure but if you don't sell it or send it yourself, it'll be the reminder that people were willing to buy it at the time and this is somewhat the height of the market. 60 to 75 cents a round for 9mm range ammo. Twice as much for defense.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good point. some is going to get shot as i'm picking up a new sub2k tomorrow and want to hear how quiet it is suppressed.
last time i bought any bulk ammo it was $200 / 1000 9mm fmj brass from most gunstores..... doubt we'll ever see $10 / box again. smh

deafPapa1985 wrote:
IRackNBack wrote:

Gotta sympathize with you but as prices fall, buy the cheapest of course and mark what you paid for it. Now without assuming your purpose for the ammo whether you have it for supply or whatnot you'll know how expensive that was to get. Bitter pill to swallow I'm sure but if you don't sell it or send it yourself, it'll be the reminder that people were willing to buy it at the time and this is somewhat the height of the market. 60 to 75 cents a round for 9mm range ammo. Twice as much for defense.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]