Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

If a deal has an expiration date, please include that in your thread title!

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Magpul Scorp Mags 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DM47 wrote:
I see PSA shows them "in stock". I sure hope they drop free; as well as function reliably, and remain durable (which I don't have too much doubt about).
Field reports soon, fellas?

I just bought some magpul scorpion mags and they did drop free. I had 4 PSA mags from a recent batch that had a weird notch at the back that aids the BHO and it seemed to pull the bolt release when removing the magazine...thus releasing the bolt unwantedly(I ended up practicing MP5 style reloads because of this). However, I have yet to do a reliability check on these mags.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, BaamC!

welcomewgo

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
BaamC wrote:
DM47 wrote:
I see PSA shows them "in stock". I sure hope they drop free; as well as function reliably, and remain durable (which I don't have too much doubt about).
Field reports soon, fellas?

I just bought some magpul scorpion mags and they did drop free. I had 4 PSA mags from a recent batch that had a weird notch at the back that aids the BHO and it seemed to pull the bolt release when removing the magazine...thus releasing the bolt unwantedly(I ended up practicing MP5 style reloads because of this). However, I have yet to do a reliability check on these mags.

Good to know. Also, do the Magpul mags drop free with LRBHO, or just when the bolt is held back or forward?

Yes, and welcome to WGO! :wagwoot:

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! And regarding to the Magpul mags. They drop free at any position for the bolt. Closed. LRHBO. Or all the way back to the notch. I just checked for that now.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's an image of the three mags back (Top to bottom:CZ, Magpul, and PSA). You can see that there is a slight difference near the PSA's mag follower that sticks out at the left of the mag to aid in LRBHO. I suspect that it seems to catch on to the bolt release. Other than that. It's fitment is kinda snug, so that can play a role as well. ATM, I'd avoid PSA at the moment if this would bother you (I don't mind cause I love to slap that handle everytime haha). The CZ mag seems to have the same but that's actually just a wear mark.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new 35rd clear mags from PSA!

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak- ... clear.html

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
BaamC wrote:
Thank you! And regarding to the Magpul mags. They drop free at any position for the bolt. Closed. LRHBO. Or all the way back to the notch. I just checked for that now.

Good to know. I've read differing reports, so it makes me wonder.
FWIW, neither my factory 20 or 30 rounders drop free on LRBHO. However, they do drop free with the bolt locked back.
My PSA mags do not drop free under any circumstances. They are also a very snug fit in the magwell.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BaamC wrote:
Here's an image of the three mags back (Top to bottom:CZ, Magpul, and PSA). You can see that there is a slight difference near the PSA's mag follower that sticks out at the left of the mag to aid in LRBHO. I suspect that it seems to catch on to the bolt release. Other than that. It's fitment is kinda snug, so that can play a role as well. ATM, I'd avoid PSA at the moment if this would bother you (I don't mind cause I love to slap that handle everytime haha). The CZ mag seems to have the same but that's actually just a wear mark.

That image of your PSA seems to look like there are 4 different surfaces in the areas behind and above the BHO plunger. Not sure if some of that is due to lighting/camera flash, etc.
My PSAs don't look like that, fwiw.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah. Yours are different. Just above the plunger is a little dip in mine. So it looks like there is three steps as opposed to two steps on your mag. Maybe I just had shitty luck or bad batch (4 nonetheless). Does yours still keep the BHO even after taking off the mag?

Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BaamC wrote:
..... (snip) ..... Does yours still keep the BHO even after taking off the mag?

Yes, BHO remains engaged as it should when removing the mag.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoping the new PSA mags will get offered in smoked-clear as well as in 20rnd size. Compact gun needs to stay compact gun.

I love the charging handle slap, but I kind of dislike the slide release set up on the scorpion.

Someone asked how we change mags on the scorpion. I said, "Well, I have the HBI extended Mag release installed, so, for me, I usually just sling my scorpion and it will inevitably bump something on my person and eject the mag at full speed on its own. Then I reload it when I raise it up again..." kind of regret installing that mag release...

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*example of compact gun no longer being compact* (also the giant donkey-D look isnt my thing.)

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2