Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

If a deal has an expiration date, please include that in your thread title!

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AR500 November sale 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some excellent pricing on body armor and carrier packages. Basically for a set the carrier is free.

There are some great prices. And if you don't get the package deals, there's a code "givethanks" for discounts too, something like 16% off.

https://www.ar500armor.com/promotions-sales.html

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d highly suggest against buying targets as armor. Rma ceramic plates are very reasonably priced for nij certified and fairly light plates. Hell I’d even go with l210s over steel.

Here’s an interesting test on steel armor: https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/leve ... oncealable

Steel is not useful as body armor. Setting aside the ballistic inferiority compared to ceramics and polyethylene, it is obscenely heavy. Plate weight is compared with areal density, how many pounds per square foot the plate is. This removes the issue of different cuts of plate having different sizes, and conveniently works across all sizes.

SAPI, AT Armor STOP BZ, and HESCO's U210, some of the best plates on the market, are around 5.14lb/ft2.

HESCO 4800 and new-generation ESAPIs are 6.42lb/ft2.

Legacy ESAPI and Midwest Venture's FM4 are 7lb/ft2, and are relatively heavy -- one does not want to exceed this if at all possible.

XSAPI is 7.7lb/ft2, and is considered the heaviest plate that an athletic, fit person can realistically move and shoot in a coordinated and safe manner in.

Commercial steel is between 10 and 14lb /ft2. This is unacceptably heavy, to the point of causing greatly accelerated carrier wear, extreme user fatigue, and a dramatic reduction in combat effectiveness.

You can barely move in commercial steel armor. It is not worth considering for that alone, nevermind that any idiot with a 16" barrel AR and Federal XM193 is going to blast through it like a 16 year old driver at a stop sign.

Also not the mention the spalling issue with steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:
I’d highly suggest against buying targets as armor. Rma ceramic plates are very reasonably priced for nij certified and fairly light plates. Hell I’d even go with l210s over steel.

Here’s an interesting test on steel armor: https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/leve ... oncealable

Steel is not useful as body armor. Setting aside the ballistic inferiority compared to ceramics and polyethylene, it is obscenely heavy. Plate weight is compared with areal density, how many pounds per square foot the plate is. This removes the issue of different cuts of plate having different sizes, and conveniently works across all sizes.

SAPI, AT Armor STOP BZ, and HESCO's U210, some of the best plates on the market, are around 5.14lb/ft2.

HESCO 4800 and new-generation ESAPIs are 6.42lb/ft2.

Legacy ESAPI and Midwest Venture's FM4 are 7lb/ft2, and are relatively heavy -- one does not want to exceed this if at all possible.

XSAPI is 7.7lb/ft2, and is considered the heaviest plate that an athletic, fit person can realistically move and shoot in a coordinated and safe manner in.

Commercial steel is between 10 and 14lb /ft2. This is unacceptably heavy, to the point of causing greatly accelerated carrier wear, extreme user fatigue, and a dramatic reduction in combat effectiveness.

You can barely move in commercial steel armor. It is not worth considering for that alone, nevermind that any idiot with a 16" barrel AR and Federal XM193 is going to blast through it like a 16 year old driver at a stop sign.

Also not the mention the spalling issue with steel.

Much of what you write seems extremely exaggerated.

*2 steel plates at 8 lbs each is 16 lbs. Cheap, thin, indefinite storage, durable, and multi-hit capable.

*2 ceramic plates at 8 lbs each for 16lbs and are thicker/bulkier, more expensive, and not as durable nor long term. Drop them, and they're suspect. In the military we had to turn ours in regularly for X-ray and replacement. They get compromised if they get wet.

* The plates you've suggested, just on a analysis weight, are 1/2 as heavy. So you're talking about a marginal difference of 16lbs vs. maybe 5-8lbs. For a net trivial difference of 8-11lbs spread across and adult's upper body. Hardly anything to worry about for the likely brief time someone will don it.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect the ceramic would be lighter and easier to deal with for people on the move.

If all you do is go in and out of helicopters for show, then the pounds are ok.

:thumbsup2:

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do buy steel plates, do yourself a favor and find the ones with the best anti-spall protection. Nobody wants to take shrapnel to the face.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
If you do buy steel plates, do yourself a favor and find the ones with the best anti-spall protection. Nobody wants to take shrapnel to the face.

Or just buy a can of line x because that’s all they use and it really doesn’t do much. It still will spall.

Leadcounsil you didn’t read the article with the testing as steel isn’t really multi hit. Also steel plate manufacturers are trying to stop the new nij standards because they know there’s no way for steel to meet the standards without doubling in weight. Steel plates are absolutely not worth it at all.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

Or just buy a can of line x because that’s all they use and it really doesn’t do much. It still will spall.

Which is precisely why I don't own any steel armor, and never will. thumbsup

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

Leadcounsil you didn’t read the article with the testing as steel isn’t really multi hit. Also steel plate manufacturers are trying to stop the new nij standards because they know there’s no way for steel to meet the standards without doubling in weight. Steel plates are absolutely not worth it at all.

I've watched steel tests online. Multi hit no problem.

I've shot steel countless thousands of times now. Multi-hit no problem.

I've dropped steel on hard surfaces, no damage.

I'm not worried about "spall," my concern is stopping live rounds for a affordable and easy to use and store long term price. Steel is superior to all the other products unless you have unlimited budgets and resourcing/requisition abilities.

Shaving a couple pounds at the tradeoff of fragile plates, much thicker plates, or far more expensive plates all with short shelf life might be good for some but not what I want.

FYI, I wore issued ceramic plates on all 4 of my deployments to Iraq. And at Air Assault school when I rucked my 12 miles to graduation in the allotted 3 hours. And when I was at the 101st doing 4-12 miles rucks on a regular (read nearly daily, and at least weekly) basis. And doing morning "buddy carry" PT. Where were y'all? That's what I thought....

I'm familiar with the limitations of non-steel armor. I'll take steel. Thanks.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cited Hesco 4800 is $1400 PER PLATE. That's about 10x or more the cost of steel. You're only saving a couple of pounds of weight. A trivial amount for 10x costs.

For comparison:
* Hesco 4800 full kit 4 plates and carrier would cost around $4500.
* AR500 full kit 4 plates and carrier would cost around $500. A 9x price savings.

You could outfit 2 average families with body armor for the price of 1 Hesco setup. Or another advantage is having extra sets staged (work, home, bug out location, trunk of car). Absurd price difference. Economical is tactically smart. In other works, affordable is tactical.

Also, if you want to debate, post some actual figures, not esoteric links to stuff where we all have to do research.

* Costs
* Thickness
* Weight
* Multi-hit
* Shelf life

All the stuff I've seen casually looking at the new products has many drawbacks versus steel.

Spall is a minor issue, and able to be minimized.

Last edited by leadcounsel on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If steel is that superior how come you were wearing ceramic in Iraq and not steel?

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:54 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MyNameIs940 wrote:
If steel is that superior how come you were wearing ceramic in Iraq and not steel?

Because .gov was paying the bill?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:

For the same reason I was wearing UCP camouflage that doesn't blend in with anything. For the same reason we were not allowed to wear perfectly good black fleece coats on cold days. For the same reason we were not allowed to wear dust masks even during heavy sand storms. And hundreds of other examples.

It's the military and they aren't always smart or right. It just is. Never a good or clear answer.

Best guess, some bean counter thought it was best or some Congressman got a contract in his district or some company won a bid.

Retort question: Why did the military push the M16 into combat service before it was ready and it was clearly inferior with design flaws (not chrome lined interior, no forward assist, etc.), wrong propellant caused fouling and malfunctions, bad magazine designs, wrong twist rates for accuracy, and no cleaning kits among other things. A very popular example of the top brass and civilian leaders being morons.

Last edited by leadcounsel on Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 had some good info.

We all have opinions and none of what any of us has presented is usable for any research or decision paper.

However it is interesting to read people's opinions in the matter.

For some, the spall from a hit on steel may be a screening criteria, i.e. a no go for any decision.

For others, price may be a qualitative criteria.

For all of us, weight is important. :bigsmile:

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:

For the same reason I was wearing UCP camouflage that doesn't blend in with anything. For the same reason we were not allowed to wear perfectly good black fleece coats on cold days. For the same reason we were not allowed to wear dust masks even during heavy sand storms. And hundreds of other examples.

It's the military and they aren't always smart or right. It just is. Never a good or clear answer.

Best guess, some bean counter thought it was best or some Congressman got a contract in his district or some company won a bid.

After Secdef Rumsfeld was questioned by troops in Iraq on why they were not issued body armor nor had armored vehicles, Rumsfeld gave the remark "you go to war with the army you have, not with the army you wish you had". However after that remark, the Army went full speed into meeting the needs of the soldiers and in the area of body armor, after some quick evaluations at PEO Soldier, weighing cost, sustainability, training, survivability, weight, etc. came up with the package that was issued (IBA, then IOTV). Specifications were issued, contracts awarded, and among the parts was the ceramic body armor. Some were made with substandard methods and the plates by number were withdrawn. But no one in their right minds would issue steel plates at that time for many reasons: weight, spall, etc. Besides, the existing body armor, with later side and shoulder additions were wrecking too many peoples backs and spines. TOO HEAVY.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:

Because .gov was paying the bill?

And because the things that concern a civilian spending his own money do not factor in to military procurement.

* Military does do bidding, but gets favorable bid numbers civilians cannot.
* Military has big gorilla in the room weight for leverage, returns, testing, contract negotiations and outright canceling contracts on a whim.
* Military has infinite procurement and supply chain to get plates X-rayed and replaced to infinity. So shelf life is meaningless. They all get replaced regularly.

Civilians have none/few of that resources. Meaning if you drop your plate in the military and it cracks, you have a new one immediately from a warehouse of inventory. If you're not sure if your plate is cracked, you get it replaced immediately from a warehouse of inventory. None of that is going to happen (easily or inexpensively) for a civilian. If you take a shot and your plate is damaged, you get a new one immediately. If your plate is expired, you get a new one immediately.

Hence shelf life and durability are critical for a civilian IMO.

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next