Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

If a deal has an expiration date, please include that in your thread title!

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AR500 Armor Heritage plates 2 for $65 (exp midnight Aug 30) 

Interesting Find: Armored Republic (AR500) "Heritage" flat NIJ Level III plates (good against M855 but not M193) 2 for $65 ending at midnight Pacific tonight. Add trauma pads for $20 ($10 each) or upgrade to multicurve plates for $34 ($17 each). Other products, 20.12% off with code 10YEAR. https://www.ar500armor.com/heritage-bog ... =affiliate

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. Got a pair as spare.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do they mean by "Armor Orientation"?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:28 pm

Sparky D wrote:

It looks like they cut the shoulder cuts differently for right-hand or left-hand shooters.

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems odd that they're only level 3?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Diamondback wrote:
Sparky D wrote:

It looks like they cut the shoulder cuts differently for right-hand or left-hand shooters.

That makes sense. Thanks.
Ordered a set.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Figure at this price, i could use it as a target or use it in a backpak or back of my driver seat

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still good!

Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting the deal. Looks like a good buy. Ordered a set last night. Paid a little extra to get the curve plates and trauma pads. I’m new to armor so I need to do research on getting a carrier and find out more about that set up.

Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jerrods wrote:
Thanks for posting the deal. Looks like a good buy. Ordered a set last night. Paid a little extra to get the curve plates and trauma pads. I’m new to armor so I need to do research on getting a carrier and find out more about that set up.

Same. I figured under $140 was a reasonable entry point to plates.

I already have a carrier.

What was funny for me was adding a $6 patch (I collect them) bumped the shipping cost from around $10 to over $20, lol.
I dumped that patch in a hurry. No patch is worth that much...

Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:50 am

I got $20 shipping, but that was because I ordered both upgrades, multicurve AND trauma pad.

A cop buddy tells me these are "yesterday's news" armor-wise and that if he had to choose between steel or a soft vest he'd go soft every time, but in a way that makes these better for my purposes as "teaching kit" to add to the Live The Suck of hands-on learning walking a simulated patrol.

Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Diamondback wrote:
I got $20 shipping, but that was because I ordered both upgrades, multicurve AND trauma pad.

A cop buddy tells me these are "yesterday's news" armor-wise and that if he had to choose between steel or a soft vest he'd go soft every time, but in a way that makes these better for my purposes as "teaching kit" to add to the Live The Suck of hands-on learning walking a simulated patrol.

What soft armor is he talking about that'll stop a 7.62NATO or did he mean for his typical LE encounters where its most handguns? Only soft armor I'm aware that'll stop rifles is the Safe Life FRAS - it's $1600+ and it wont stop 7.62NATO, only 7.62x39 and 5.56NATO and lesser threats. Steel plates aren't my first choice, but it would better than nothing by a long shot. And considerably better than 3A handgun rated Kevlar for rifle threats.

Came to $42 per plate for me with tax/shipping. Thats cheaper than buying 10x12 AR500 targets.

Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jerrods wrote:

It will be heavy. AR500 is great, multiple hits and never really expires.
Until you have to move with a carrier and kit with AR500 plates. As mentioned,you can't buy AR500 target's that size for the price. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:50 pm

I think he was thinking mostly for patrol/typical LE or HD use. Serious plate work he'd go with polymer or hybrid on "spare no expense."

When I say "simulated patrol," bear in mind I'm a historian and aspiring prof focused in Military History, so my thinking is get the student as close as I can to walking a patrol on Edson's Ridge then one in Helmand, then have them write a compare/contrast paper about what each set of kit does well and what it doesn't.

Two plates will add 17# to my already 11# plate carrier and that's just with IFAK, TQ and mags. Everybody, say hello to Private Potatohead...

Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Liddlebit81 wrote:
Figure at this price, i could use it as a target or use it in a backpak or back of my driver seat

Good idea for a back pack. I had never considered back of drivers seat, interesting concept. What about a door panel?
I saw a First 48 episode where a teenager was killed by 1 9mm bullet, he was sitting in the back seat and the bullet had actually went through the trunk.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next