Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

If a deal has an expiration date, please include that in your thread title!

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Free Lock Boxes/ Trigger locks 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sportco is having a thing. Tacoma- Pierce County Public Health is funding it...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What kind of lock box? I suppose I could use one if it's reasonably nice, the price is right.

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:44 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Huh. Maybe we should gather signatures to repeal 1639 that morning?!

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:

DING DING DING!!!!!! Excellent idea!!!!!! :thumbsup2:
I wonder if they will allow signature gatherers on the property?
It’s worth checking into for some local people.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
That's a great idea. There's going to be two more in Puyallup this month as well.

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait a minute and indulge me while I speculate on something that could be fishy about this.....
If the gov't health dept is sponsoring the "giveaway", any chance you'd have to fill out a form with personal info on it to get the "freebie"? Database much?
I could be completely off base, and don't mean to disparage Sportco, but thought it worth asking.

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip, you read my mind and I was thinking the exact thing. I didn't want to sidetrack the OP's posting, as it's definitely a good deal being offered, however I want to share firsthand my experience in this. Similar event, May 2018, free lockboxes and or trigger guards were being promoted and given away at Fed. Way Sportsmans Warehouse, so naturally I went.

Little did I know, in order to qualify for the lockbox or trigger guard, the sponsoring company (CHI Franciscan and Seattle Children's Hospital, Dept. of Health) required you to fill out a form with name, address, other info such as if you own a firearm, methods of safekeeping, etc. before you can get a lock box.

After I left, I felt a little uneasy not knowing what type of database or sampling survey my info was going to...could be nothing or could be something....just wanted to share that with you. Here's the event I went to http://www.federalwaymirror.com/news/fr ... l-way/?amp.

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
Wait a minute and indulge me while I speculate on something that could be fishy about this.....
If the gov't health dept is sponsoring the "giveaway", any chance you'd have to fill out a form with personal info on it to get the "freebie"? Database much?
I could be completely off base, and don't mean to disparage Sportco, but thought it worth asking.

:plusone:

Glad Chip pointed it out, and jerrods as well...

When I saw a health/medical logo, I, too, was suspicious of the personal info one had to surrender...

It's not worth it...

Much like many free Apps for a phone, it might seem free to you, but there's a price....

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So fill out the form with a fake name & address. (unless they're checking ID, then you tell them in a loud obnoxious voice to GFO)

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:14 am

AR15L wrote:
So fill out the form with a fake name & address. (unless they're checking ID, then you tell them in a loud obnoxious voice to GFO)

This right there!

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got done NOT picking up one of the lockboxes. I took pics of the forms they want you to fill out. One agreeing to a follow up call and survey. I'll post the pic later, too much hassle to do it on the fly. The lockbox they're giving away is a snap safe that's on sale for $25, so not worth playing their game.

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
Just got done NOT picking up one of the lockboxes. I took pics of the forms they want you to fill out. One agreeing to a follow up call and survey. I'll post the pic later, too much hassle to do it on the fly. The lockbox they're giving away is a snap safe that's on sale for $25, so not worth playing their game.
Almost went out there but the rain kept me home, glad to hear I didn't miss anything.

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this had been more than 10 minutes or so from my house, I wouldn't have gone. But it was worth going down there and politely asking them if I could get the lockbox without filling out the release, and then thanking them for wasting my time. I told them it was a shame they weren't actually more interested in serving the community instead of gathering personal info. A woman from the health dept said they wouldn't share the info, to which I replied, "you mean just like the gov't isn't sharing my personal health info as part of the pre-firearm sales background checks, thanks to i-1639?"
Here are the forms, just for fun. Notice the survey claims that the info won't be tied to your personal info, but both forms have hand written tracking numbers on them!

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
If this had been more than 10 minutes or so from my house, I wouldn't have gone. But it was worth going down there and politely asking them if I could get the lockbox without filling out the release, and then thanking them for wasting my time. I told them it was a shame they weren't actually more interested in serving the community instead of gathering personal info. A woman from the health dept said they wouldn't share the info, to which I replied, "you mean just like the gov't isn't sharing my personal health info as part of the pre-firearm sales background checks, thanks to i-1639?"
Here are the forms, just for fun. Notice the survey claims that the info won't be tied to your personal info, but both forms have hand written tracking numbers on them!

I wondered about that...

Do you have to show ID?

Was wondering if info given had to be legit.... :bigsmile:

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next