Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Vostok 581826 watch 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I figured i'd post this on here for all the guys that rock and lock magazines. Straight out of the former USSR factory who supplied the komandirskie watches to the Red army.

The good, is this thing is awesome looking, feels solid, and considering it's heritage, it should be built like a tank. The pictures dont do it justice. I'm not a watch afficianato but it looks nice to me and at $100 to my door, it really seems like a good deal, there are places like meranom who have it a lot cheaper too, i just cant get my card to work there.

The bad, the one i received has an issue with the face being loose (to the point it stops the hands and watch if it is layed on it's face), and the jeweler i showed it to didnt like how the mainspring felt. I'm going to have to send it back. Lets see how their customer service is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154468633789

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before the USSR collapsed, those watches were very high quality as they were QC’d by the Soviet DOD.
I remember that when I was a kid we found Восток Амфибия watches at the bus stop in Russia. No band, scratched all over - they were still working. Cosmetically they were wrecked, so we kicked them, smashed them against the concrete... they were working! I kept them on the wall by my bed while in college for a couple of years - just out of curiosity.
Now the newly built ones are no different than any cheap knockoffs from China.
I wear a set that I got for my B-day from my friend. Yes, they look and feel solid, but they refuse to work once in a while.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by surevaliance on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never seen one of these in person but have read some good stuff about them, being a watch guy I may have to get one.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent e-mails to the seller and vostok yesterday. Vostok blaimed 3rd party handling, but i also gave them all of the mfg nspection info....

Since then i sent anouther round of polite e-mails to both basically stating inspection numbers and wanting them to help me get a nice watch on my wrist.

I'm basically playing the seller vs vostok to see who wants to take blame

I also noted to the seller that i was bragging on a certain gun forum....

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:32 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Seems like a lot of work to get a functioning $100 watch.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Seems like a lot of work to get a functioning $100 watch.

We'll see, they have good reviews online, plus i like stuff with a storty

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 pm

Some of the Russian watch movements are top tier quality. For an affordable, quality watch, try Poljot, Sturmaskie or Pobeda. Vostok does make some good qualitt watches but also makes others that are not as good

Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should add an update. I got my replacement, been wearing it for a month or 2. The thing does everything it should, looks great and i'm pretty happy with it. It is probably fast by a minute or so over a week but we will see if it breaks in. This week i noticed the finish on the leather is getting a little chewed up, but i am a machinist, and a wrench in my spare time, so i expect that.

Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]